IGNORED

MDLR-37 - A DIY Folding Modular Synth

Joyrex

Getting incredibly unnerved by those plastic butterfly screws.

Is that a tape delay? Yes, sign me right up for a 50000 squid maintenance nightmare.

Edited by thawkins

5 minutes ago, neurone said:

yeah actually the guy's a design artist of some sort. now browsing his channel. nice works.

He makes some awesome stuff.

8 minutes ago, Himelstein said:

He makes some awesome stuff.

yes he does ! I love the design of that one :

Edited by neurone
  • Like 1

^Why the silent hill 2 soundtrack in the background though?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TubularCorporation said:

It's apparently a rehoused Monologue plus a few Eurorack modules and pedals in a clever case.

Really pushing the definition.  There doesn't appear to be any cv, there's one eurorack module and a couple of guitar pedals.  Im guessing you can reorder the effects.  Nice design aesthetic but he should probably call his company Simulacrum Synthesizers.

9 hours ago, kakapo said:

Really pushing the definition.  There doesn't appear to be any cv, there's one eurorack module and a couple of guitar pedals.  Im guessing you can reorder the effects.  Nice design aesthetic but he should probably call his company Simulacrum Synthesizers.

Well since you can patch stuff around it's quite modular, no? Even if the modules themselves are built in and not removable, you can still change the way it is patched, so it kind of counts.

9 hours ago, thawkins said:

Well since you can patch stuff around it's quite modular, no? Even if the modules themselves are built in and not removable, you can still change the way it is patched, so it kind of counts.

No more modular than a synth and a couple of effects pedals.  In fact less so since they are built in and can't be moved about.  This is an unmodular synth.

Look, I could pass it off with a subjective it just doesn't fit my idea of what a modular synth is, but that's a slippery slope.  Before you know it, somebody has rounded up all the jews and sent them to Butlins and I'm cheering from the sidelines shouting enjoy your holiday, all because it doesn't fit my own personal threshold of anti-semitism.

The internet is full of design wankers putting shit in boxes and making nice little videos of it.  It's nectar to someone like joyrex who doesn't really understand anything about music.  Indulging his yearly posting of something he's seen on a design news aggregator is always going to end in tears.  Trust me we need to keep joyrex out of EKT as far as possible.  Joyrex + design wank = chaos.   

• Like 3

actually yeah most of the stuff is re-housing existing synth, maybe with a slight mods sometime.

nice indeed.

btw I did'nt know about the "conway's game of life" thing he used in one of his stuff.

so I went discovering all that cellular automation shit. interesting

It's probably already  a well-known thing in here though. anyway :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway's_Game_of_Life

• Like 1

Yeah, we use cellular automata videos synths live and in improv stuff all the time. I love combining them with midines and video mixer feedback, because you can really get some cool sounds just by trying to make images do certain things. But my band mate is way more into them, he built the ones we use. From a kit I think 

19 minutes ago, Himelstein said:

Yeah, we use cellular automata videos synths live and in improv stuff all the time. I love combining them with midines and video mixer feedback, because you can really get some cool sounds just by trying to make images do certain things. But my band mate is way more into them, he built the ones we use. From a kit I think 

oh, you have a link to this stuff you're doing ?

1 hour ago, neurone said:

oh, you have a link to this stuff you're doing ?

Yeah, haha shit, I shoulda done that. I can’t see if my YouTube link is in my sig or not. Some of these just contain bits of the cellular automata visual, and some contain audio. Same with midines and feedback- they all have various combos of the audio or visual from them. They are pretty old videos now, so the descriptions are probably pretty terrible. 

This (raw buster) is from an all improv thing we did recording the audio and video to vhs. Midines and cellular automata mostly, I used audio mixer feedback for distortion.

https://m.youtube.com/user/beyondthesevoices

Edited by Himelstein
  • Like 5