IGNORED

All things Live Coding

iococoi

WATMM has no dedicated L C thread, just bits and pieces all over the place. not anymore ..

live coding is about how people interact with the world and each other via code. In the last few decades, live coding has emerged as a dynamic creative practice, gaining attention across cultural and technical fields—from music and the visual arts to computer science.

from

https://livecodingbook.toplap.org/

Live Coding: A User’s Manual is the first comprehensive introduction to the practice and a broader cultural commentary on the potential for live coding to open up deeper questions about contemporary cultural production and computational culture.

It could be argued that live coding performances give expression to the promise of the three-part present, where the performer’s attention appears split between the present-of-the-present moment (the as is) and a future-of-the-present moment (the yet to come). Moreover, while improvising in the present-present and planning for a future-present, the coder is also attentive to the past-of-the-present moment through backtracking and reactivating code lines already written but presently inactive.

???

• Big Brain 3

Sorry to say but this is pretty useless. 

This is a summary of the "manual"

"You heard of Live Coding? It is cool like improvising and write software in real time. Have been used at festival and stuff by these cool artist etc..pretty cool huh"

• Like 1

guys/gals take a chill pill. this should be a thread to gather all those different strains of live coding under one watmm-hood. no harm intended.

additional

@ first algorave . schrödinger in his dancing pants - cat´s under the frock...or is it?

1*7KT-vLMBtCUoMy0O0MEtlA.jpeg

Edited by iococoi
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing the book. Going to put it on my phone so eventually I might actually read it!

There is also a list of different languages-tools curated by TOPLAP, might be interesting for those who want to get hands on quickly instead of reading the book:https://github.com/toplap/awesome-livecoding

• Thanks 1

• iococoi changed the title to All things Live Coding
2 hours ago, iococoi said:

TidalCycles is cool, but I found it going incredibly against my OCD mind because it requires SuperCollider and the Haskell compiler infrastructure on your laptop, which I felt was creating an unholy mess of gigabytes of Stuff that I eventually had to clean up when I was running out of space.

So it's really cool that all this is now browser based. Seems to also support MIDI too, which is doublenice.

• Farnsworth 1

We made it past the solstice, which means we're heading into Patternuary ! If you want to join in on making a pattern-a-day then please share a link to your pattern log here.. Whether you're documenting it on mastodon, a blog, soundcloud or somewhere else..

https://club.tidalcycles.org/t/patternuary-2023/4474

https://post.lurk.org/tags/patternuary

Have the 'Max 6' version of that - still barely touched ? (not because it's bad, just that I saw the estimated 300 hour completion time in the introduction chapter and thought 'fuuuuuuuuuuuu.......', and then just skimmed through the lovely graphs and example max setups)

This sounds like a fun book, although I am not super interested in sound design at all. But for sure if I go through all that - maybe skip some parts that don't gel - I will be good at some aspects of Max, which is really good to have since I am already on Live so much.

• 2 weeks later...

I try to get into Coding apps for music and such but the apps haven't impressed me enough soundwise to decide to devote the time to them. For example: Max/MSP. It does sound interesting but even the best patches sound like things I can make in my DAW. 

I am thinking it would be worth it if these coding platforms had a unique sound. And there definitely are some interesting sounds it can generate, but I just am never impressed enough to keep going with it. Same story with SuperCollider and Puredata etc. I sincerely try every once in a while and same result.

THAT SAID, anyone know of any tracks or patches (on youtube or something) made with these things that probably couldn't be made using conventional vsts, or at least not have to go out of your way to make them. Or just impressive stuff?

Edited by Brisbot

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2023 at 11:00 PM, Brisbot said:

I try to get into Coding apps for music and such but the apps haven't impressed me enough soundwise to decide to devote the time to them. For example: Max/MSP. It does sound interesting but even the best patches sound like things I can make in my DAW. 

I am thinking it would be worth it if these coding platforms had a unique sound. And there definitely are some interesting sounds it can generate, but I just am never impressed enough to keep going with it. Same story with SuperCollider and Puredata etc. I sincerely try every once in a while and same result.

THAT SAID, anyone know of any tracks or patches (on youtube or something) made with these things that probably couldn't be made using conventional vsts, or at least not have to go out of your way to make them. Or just impressive stuff?

Yes, this guy:

Everything made in PD afaik.

The advantage of using a programming environment in this case is that you can create your own set of rules and parameters and have the composition live and breathe on its own, which I guess is what makes it algorithmic. The disadvantage is you kinda have to engineer your own tools from scratch (in most cases) but then that's part of the fun as well.

Just learned about RackAFX well I was lurking the ReNoise forums.  New to me!

The original Audio Algorithm Development and Sandbox for designing and testing audio algorithms in C++ in real-time. You can even export your algorithms as ASPiK projects and continue development in your favorite OS and DAW.

http://www.willpirkle.com/

Edited by TubularCorporation

• 2 months later...

ICLC 2023

19 - 23 April in Utrecht, The Netherlands

The International Conference on Live Coding (ICLC) is dedicated to practices and research focused on technologies and philosophies that interpret the use of computer code as gesture within the context of live performances. In its previous editions the community has offered important insights on this practice from many diverse perspectives – technical, philosophical, educational, political and more.

https://iclc.toplap.org/2023/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/@incolico/videos

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Jaffle
A yaml-based syntax for Tidal-cycles, based on Strudel.

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

sounds complicated, but in fact

Jaffle aims to make algorithmic music more accessible for people who are not familiar with programming languages.

https://roipoussiere.frama.io/jaffle/#ws2_stack

Edited by iococoi

• 3 months later...