IGNORED

When Aphex albums came out

Guest Helper ET

Guest Helper ET

This thread was inspired by the i care because you do thread, recent now. For the Aphex Twin people back in the day when they were still coming out....how were they? ICBYD? RDJ Album??? HAB?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! HAB especially because it's so damn craxy. That's right craxy. What was HAB like??? How revolutionary was it? Was it expected at all? How fucking crazy was it compared to anything else you'd heard? And RDJ Album. Did it fuck up your shit? It did mine. And SAW II. OMG SAWII, apparently according to people now, everyone was like "What the fuck"???? Was it really like that? I'm sure there were people on both sides of the spectrum. Oh my though...how I wish I could have been there for when SAWI when it got all noticed. Whooooo. Lowdie lowdie....how amazing it must have been. And then Drukqs. Good lord, Drukqs. Drukqs. I got Drukqs in like 03 I think, but to understand APHEX and wait for Drukqs to come, and then finally have it! Do you think these people like Drukqs more deep down inside becasue of the long wait and strong emotional connection to the artist? I'm so curious!!!

i do remember back in the day when you could expect to buy 2 great electronic albums a week, fuqing magic times 89-97, Orb, Orbital, LFO, NOW, Autechre, Vibert Uziq,Atom TM,AFX,Squarepusher, UR, Detroit stuff,I-F,PWOG, FSOL etc etc etc

when Hangable came out I wasnt supreised as it seemed everyone had the Jungle/DnB bug.

when I Care came out Trip Hop was cool.

I do remember hearing a cassette of RJD a few months b4 it was to be released as Richard was dating a friend of mine...that blew my mind ..always look forward to any Tuss release :-)

Guest tht! tne

having kind-of ignored come to daddy ep (misfortunately, in retrospect), i had rdj album on the brain

then drukqs came out with vordhosbn opening up in its swell and proceeding to demolish me nicely

i agree you get to have a reference for the new album and that makes it a deeper experience

when RDJ album came out, I had been keeping a daily countdown to its release on the classroom chalkboard in highschool. it was just prime time for me personally to have something like that come out and change the world as I knew it. when 4 came on i just remember something grotesque about it, like the beats were all hyper and everything, and it just seemed completely mental, like the songs were some sort of fungus and had been doused with some crazy ass accelerated growth juice. plus i've got the album in my hand, looking at the cut and paste job of pieces of skin on the back, the schitzed out handwriting, and the mad smile on the front that i took very seriously at my age. so basically about a minute into the album i was completely, 100% sold on the ideas, overwhelmed by the sonic revolution, and excited about what was to come. Peek 824545201 about melted my face off, it was so disgusting, and organic, and lysergic, and alien. someone had just unscrewed my lid and stuck their finger in and started scambling up the gray matter. the staccato crash ending of corn mouth, using the modem sounds and then the pieces shattering at the end felt like my brain had just been blown up, and those pieces falling and plinking about were shards of my past world. to cure a weakling child was so tongue in cheek, so absurd, yet so serious and real, i just got it. it just made so much sense, why it was there. why the falsetto voice is used for "ass" and then the feast of hyper cardboardy beats like they were being dumped out of a cereal box. goon goompas played it cool, seemed almost sardonic the way it sounded like a corny tv commercial theme even though he was there smiling, knowing full well the breakthrough that was actually going down. yellow calx was gorgeously flawed. the aphexed out mutant version of drumnbass became obvious to me here. percussion became a limitless bank of possibility. i wanted to be a part of this new thing, i think at that moment thats when i wanted to make music. and then the girl/boy song was paralyzing. it was unfucking real, the way the smiling man couldnt be stopped, turning my world inside out over and over again with every track. i felt like i had arrived, in a way. it was my music, and no one else's. i felt like no one i knew could touch it, or understand it like i did. shit got so real in such a hurry when i first heard that album. the newness factor was so astounding. i'll never experience something as fucking mental as that again, except maybe when my first child is born.

i had been doing a fair amount of acid back then.

cool, cheers mcgriff, i feel the same way all the time about rdj's stuff, its like i feel so grateful, as if the music is only made for me, as no one else can understand it like i do at all.

Guest Count Binoculars

fred,

you have been first order markov'd for all eternity

the falsetto voice is born. goon goompas played it just seemed completely mental, like the smiling man couldnt be a weakling child. I had been blown up, and then the pieces falling and then the album came out, I knew it. when i wanted to be stopped, turning my hand, looking at the way it was there. why the aphexed out and excited about it, like the feast of drumnbass became obvious. turning, my brain had been blown up, and started scambling up the girl/boy song was my music, and those pieces of a cereal box. i had just prime time for ass accelerated growth juice. plus i've got so absurd, yet so tongue in my hand, looking at the end felt like a part of fungus and plinking about it, or understand it was unfucking real, i did. shit got so disgusting, and the sonic revolution, and excited about a corny tv commercial theme even though he was there smiling, knowing full well the mad smile on the girl/boy song was to have something grotesque about a limitless bank of corn mouth, using the aphexed out handwriting, and everything, and over again with some sort of a weakling child is used for me here. percussion became obvious to have something as I had been doused with every track. i felt like a cereal box. i just unscrewed my lid and then the beats like that come out mutant version of pieces of a weakling child is born. i think at the modem sounds and stuck their finger in highschool. it just unscrewed my past world.

fred,

you have been first order markov'd for all eternity

the falsetto voice is born. goon goompas played it just seemed completely mental, like the smiling man couldnt be a weakling child. I had been blown up, and then the pieces falling and then the album came out, I knew it. when i wanted to be stopped, turning my hand, looking at the way it was there. why the aphexed out and excited about it, like the feast of drumnbass became obvious. turning, my brain had been blown up, and started scambling up the girl/boy song was my music, and those pieces of a cereal box. i had just prime time for ass accelerated growth juice. plus i've got so absurd, yet so tongue in my hand, looking at the end felt like a part of fungus and plinking about it, or understand it was unfucking real, i did. shit got so disgusting, and the sonic revolution, and excited about a corny tv commercial theme even though he was there smiling, knowing full well the mad smile on the girl/boy song was to have something grotesque about a limitless bank of corn mouth, using the aphexed out handwriting, and everything, and over again with some sort of a weakling child is used for me here. percussion became obvious to have something as I had been doused with every track. i felt like a cereal box. i just unscrewed my lid and then the beats like that come out mutant version of pieces of a weakling child is born. i think at the modem sounds and stuck their finger in highschool. it just unscrewed my past world.

awesome

Guest Kibreg

sounds like most of us had just really gotten hooked on his stuff around when the rdj album came out. I know I did... my roomate and I played that fucker into the ground. We saw him play at a warehouse gig in 96 and I was SOLD. I'd never heard such a unique personality (musically) in electronic music before (or since).

when his albums would come out you knew you were in for something crazy special - a twisted, beautiful little world on those discs.

Guest transfer
sounds like most of us had just really gotten hooked on his stuff around when the rdj album came out. I know I did... my roomate and I played that fucker into the ground. We saw him play at a warehouse gig in 96 and I was SOLD. I'd never heard such a unique personality (musically) in electronic music before (or since).

when his albums would come out you knew you were in for something crazy special - a twisted, beautiful little world on those discs.

It was 1992/93 for me.......Surfing On Sine Waves was my starting point.

soooooooooooooooooooo what was it like when you first heard it??

when RDJ album came out, I had been keeping a daily countdown to its release on the classroom chalkboard in highschool. it was just prime time for me personally to have something like that come out and change the world as I knew it. when 4 came on i just remember something grotesque about it, like the beats were all hyper and everything, and it just seemed completely mental, like the songs were some sort of fungus and had been doused with some crazy ass accelerated growth juice. plus i've got the album in my hand, looking at the cut and paste job of pieces of skin on the back, the schitzed out handwriting, and the mad smile on the front that i took very seriously at my age. so basically about a minute into the album i was completely, 100% sold on the ideas, overwhelmed by the sonic revolution, and excited about what was to come. Peek 824545201 about melted my face off, it was so disgusting, and organic, and lysergic, and alien. someone had just unscrewed my lid and stuck their finger in and started scambling up the gray matter. the staccato crash ending of corn mouth, using the modem sounds and then the pieces shattering at the end felt like my brain had just been blown up, and those pieces falling and plinking about were shards of my past world. to cure a weakling child was so tongue in cheek, so absurd, yet so serious and real, i just got it. it just made so much sense, why it was there. why the falsetto voice is used for "ass" and then the feast of hyper cardboardy beats like they were being dumped out of a cereal box. goon goompas played it cool, seemed almost sardonic the way it sounded like a corny tv commercial theme even though he was there smiling, knowing full well the breakthrough that was actually going down. yellow calx was gorgeously flawed. the aphexed out mutant version of drumnbass became obvious to me here. percussion became a limitless bank of possibility. i wanted to be a part of this new thing, i think at that moment thats when i wanted to make music. and then the girl/boy song was paralyzing. it was unfucking real, the way the smiling man couldnt be stopped, turning my world inside out over and over again with every track. i felt like i had arrived, in a way. it was my music, and no one else's. i felt like no one i knew could touch it, or understand it like i did. shit got so real in such a hurry when i first heard that album. the newness factor was so astounding. i'll never experience something as fucking mental as that again, except maybe when my first child is born.

respecto

i think i can vividly remember where i was and what i was doing with every rdj release from saw 85-92 onwards.

and to echo fred's closing sentence - i was invariably on acid on any given weekend/wednesday between 91 and 94

the magic was essentially all but gone for me by the time druqks came out ..like all that can be done at this point is different arrangements of crazy paving to repair the ground that had been broken 6 years beforehand. that is not to say that drukqs isn't magnificent because it unarguably is. saw8592 was just in a different league to its contemporaries...the megadog era the golden age of AMBIENTTECHNO/DUB lol the first time i heard ageispolis i was tripping hard on Shields and i almost cried. I still have minor issues with green calx cause it fucked up the flow of that trip / that album. SAW 2 came out just intime and was the perfect medicine for a mind ravaged by the excesses of illegal raving. picked up ventolin in its first week 2x12" for 4£ in HMV..probably the biggest bargain ever scored in that shithole cruise missile funding whitney dion factory apart from all the stone roses and happy mondays 12 inches i shoplifted in 89 lol and LFO LFO *yoink*. . i spent the whole day turning over / swapping discs / turning over / 33rpm / 45rpm OMG the coppice at 45 ...that was the ACTUAL PRECURSOR TO AFX JUNGLE ..the coppice on 45rpm - ICBYD - went into town at 9am >record shop>aphex section>checkout>home and spent the whole day listening and listening and listening.....then Children talking on radio 3 mixing it afx interview with that twatpack Sandal or wtf his name was/is. rich selects spaceheads, xenakis (i think) and OVAL!!! thanks for that one. Heard Clatterbox' Zett the same week judging by the sequence of tracks on that TDK i still have in a box somewhere with BOLLOX TEKNO on the sleeve next to a badly daubed 7\. mashed potatoes - mashed potatoes - why do you hate mashed potatoes WTF this cant be happening ...what the fuck have you done to jungle you evil fucking genius. and then the sleighbells kick in and your face hurts from smiling. (i sampled that twat sandal asking richard "do you like jungle?" in his Radio3 just dont quite get it way. My friend came round with RDJ on minidisc and plugged it into my sharp w*gbox...i cant begin to describe my reaction to that ...ive read fred describe it several times over the yrs. and he can do that justice absolutely. in summary yeah its like this album was somehow extracted from garbled brainwaves stolen from my head and fed back to me in ways i couldnt have quite comprehended before hearing it back. yeah RDJ was the biggest headfuck of all probably - it was like that album had all the psychadelic drugs you weren't on encoded into the audio . Like a full on acid trip compressed into a half hour DMT flash. i cant be bothered to type any more i have to put acrid avid jamshred on too loud for half 1 in the morning

actually ... i met this dude at a jake slazenger gig at t he george in brixton before feed me weird things came out and this dude was telling me in no uncertain terms to get my hands on some Squarepusher who had been pretty unknown on spymania until then. Listened to Feed Me weird Things on headphones in the record shop...listened all the way through until the drums kick in after the tapecode noise(?) at the start of dimotane co. then i slammed the phones down and ran all the way home to get some money.

feed me weird things is probably the only non rdj electronica album to completely and utterly floor me from the first note till the last.

also to experience in real time the ongoing contest between richard and tom which fuelled RDJ / HND / Big Loada etc - them constantly upping the tempo and out drilling each other...this was truly the golden age and the birth of drill n base. An honorary mention to Lunatic Harness at this point...oh wait lets go back to tango n vectif actually...that fucking record (not the 2cd with the outtakes tacked on the end after phragmal synthesis) that ridiculous picture of mike p in the middle of the vinyl lol..omg that record is so criminally underated in this place it saddens me. In pine effect opens with the most ridiculous synthesised trumpets and clearly named in honour of roy castles record breaking skills. That is another unsung masterpiece (excluding the kristin hershfrom throwing muses one which is just too gay even for me)

ok i got sidetracked and now i have to restart ICBYD

oh i forgot expert knob twiddlers lol LSD 9%LAGER & EKT is the best drug cocktail you can do (with the possible exception of heroin and base)

[/sini]

Guest transfer

It blew my mind.......only Loveless by My Bloody Valentine was that good.

Guest Count Binoculars

It blew my mind.......only Loveless by My Bloody Valentine was that good.

Much Respect.

Loveless changed my life....

Guest transfer

I remember taking acid, in the mountains, and listening to Surfing On Sine Waves and thinking I was a mail courier in the far off future. The internet had been destroyed and the U.S. was divided into like three states. That was a very mental acid trip in 1994.

Guest Caustic
I remember taking acid, in the mountains, and listening to Surfing On Sine Waves and thinking I was a mail courier in the far off future. The internet had been destroyed and the U.S. was divided into like three states. That was a very mental acid trip in 1994.

GIF plaz.

Postman,-The.jpg

RIIIIIIIIIIDE POSTMAAAAAAAAN!!!

respecto

i think i can vividly remember where i was and what i was doing with every rdj release from saw 85-92 onwards.

and to echo fred's closing sentence - i was invariably on acid on any given weekend/wednesday between 91 and 94

the magic was essentially all but gone for me by the time druqks came out ..like all that can be done at this point is different arrangements of crazy paving to repair the ground that had been broken 6 years beforehand. that is not to say that drukqs isn't magnificent because it unarguably is. saw8592 was just in a different league to its contemporaries...the megadog era the golden age of AMBIENTTECHNO/DUB lol the first time i heard ageispolis i was tripping hard on Shields and i almost cried. I still have minor issues with green calx cause it fucked up the flow of that trip / that album. SAW 2 came out just intime and was the perfect medicine for a mind ravaged by the excesses of illegal raving. picked up ventolin in its first week 2x12" for 4£ in HMV..probably the biggest bargain ever scored in that shithole cruise missile funding whitney dion factory apart from all the stone roses and happy mondays 12 inches i shoplifted in 89 lol and LFO LFO *yoink*. . i spent the whole day turning over / swapping discs / turning over / 33rpm / 45rpm OMG the coppice at 45 ...that was the ACTUAL PRECURSOR TO AFX JUNGLE ..the coppice on 45rpm - ICBYD - went into town at 9am >record shop>aphex section>checkout>home and spent the whole day listening and listening and listening.....then Children talking on radio 3 mixing it afx interview with that twatpack Sandal or wtf his name was/is. rich selects spaceheads, xenakis (i think) and OVAL!!! thanks for that one. Heard Clatterbox' Zett the same week judging by the sequence of tracks on that TDK i still have in a box somewhere with BOLLOX TEKNO on the sleeve next to a badly daubed 7\. mashed potatoes - mashed potatoes - why do you hate mashed potatoes WTF this cant be happening ...what the fuck have you done to jungle you evil fucking genius. and then the sleighbells kick in and your face hurts from smiling. (i sampled that twat sandal asking richard "do you like jungle?" in his Radio3 just dont quite get it way. My friend came round with RDJ on minidisc and plugged it into my sharp w*gbox...i cant begin to describe my reaction to that ...ive read fred describe it several times over the yrs. and he can do that justice absolutely. in summary yeah its like this album was somehow extracted from garbled brainwaves stolen from my head and fed back to me in ways i couldnt have quite comprehended before hearing it back. yeah RDJ was the biggest headfuck of all probably - it was like that album had all the psychadelic drugs you weren't on encoded into the audio . Like a full on acid trip compressed into a half hour DMT flash. i cant be bothered to type any more i have to put acrid avid jamshred on too loud for half 1 in the morning

actually ... i met this dude at a jake slazenger gig at t he george in brixton before feed me weird things came out and this dude was telling me in no uncertain terms to get my hands on some Squarepusher who had been pretty unknown on spymania until then. Listened to Feed Me weird Things on headphones in the record shop...listened all the way through until the drums kick in after the tapecode noise(?) at the start of dimotane co. then i slammed the phones down and ran all the way home to get some money.

feed me weird things is probably the only non rdj electronica album to completely and utterly floor me from the first note till the last.

also to experience in real time the ongoing contest between richard and tom which fuelled RDJ / HND / Big Loada etc - them constantly upping the tempo and out drilling each other...this was truly the golden age and the birth of drill n base. An honorary mention to Lunatic Harness at this point...oh wait lets go back to tango n vectif actually...that fucking record (not the 2cd with the outtakes tacked on the end after phragmal synthesis) that ridiculous picture of mike p in the middle of the vinyl lol..omg that record is so criminally underated in this place it saddens me. In pine effect opens with the most ridiculous synthesised trumpets and clearly named in honour of roy castles record breaking skills. That is another unsung masterpiece (excluding the kristin hershfrom throwing muses one which is just too gay even for me)

ok i got sidetracked and now i have to restart ICBYD

oh i forgot expert knob twiddlers lol LSD 9%LAGER & EKT is the best drug cocktail you can do (with the possible exception of heroin and base)

[/sini]

awesome read dude. the magic came back to me for a bit while i was reading this, and everything seemed new again

expert knob twiddlers and LSD go hand in hand for me as well, as i've told the story before of driving to the store to pick up a copy while tripping, and then having my car break down, leaving the car in the middle of the road with white smoke everywhere, then walking home and listening to EKT on my headphones with a shit eating grin.

SAW 85-92 got a good review in the NME. until about 2000 the magazine (paper?) was a fairly indespensible guide to what was coming out, even if you didn't use it to guide you on what to buy so directly - yes, i've been online on-off since 93, but sitting and digesting what was already a digest came in handy. the sisterray ads helped more than most. anyway, we had a local small independant shop around then, i had seen the review and walked past the window, saw it and decided to give it a try. didn't click for me at first, but it kept tempting me back... late 93 it fell into place. it's perhaps safe to say it's not only one of the finest of its kind, but that a lot of people fell for that record in large quanitites before any other...

as the years went by, the pinnacle of the obviously promoted releases went between 'ON' and 'RDJ'. after that, it was more in hope than anything else, it seemed. at any given point new fans have arrived and old fans have left. the oddest thing is seeing how perceptions are lost in time, and that a couple of e.ps like HAB looked to be richards take on that contemporary jazz enfused d'n'b that arrived in 95 and became a brief subgenre that seemed to suggest a new direction for electronica to some extent. more so for 'feed me weird things', but thankfully the range and power of that record makes it one of the only things i've ever heard which completely captivated me from the word go. hence my purchase of everything squarepusher as it came along, hence the constant disappointment at rarely getting anything like (in style, range, quality) FMWT since. i think the ICBYD and RDJ albums probably show the best point at which popularity and creativity mixed for richard, but it doesn't mean the work since hasn't been great, it's just regularly found lots of people wondering where the shift comes from and when they'll begin to understand it - rather than thinking an instantaneous "wow" from hearing it initially.

Guest transfer

Postman,-The.jpg

RIIIIIIIIIIDE POSTMAAAAAAAAN!!!

I came up with the idea in 1994. The idea of the U.S. being divided into three states came from a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book I once read.

My brother left a promo of ICBYD for me along w/ Black Dog spanners, I came home drunk to this treat and remember being floored by this smoking cigs drinking Genesee through the whole album. My prior RdJ listening had consisted of his remix of Mindstream, at the time I was listening to a ton of MBM and the Orb. I remember vividly blasting Ventolin ep driving into NYC for a weekend at dusk the city looked so sinister but me and my friend who was driving were shouting with amazement and pure listening bliss, while our friend who had no idea what electronic music was sat in the back looking like Toby Macguire in "Fear and Loathing".

Archived