IGNORED

Plaid - Heavens Door

subtract

first impression: too bad it's yet again a OST. there are too many compromises in order for it to be interesting without the movie, imo. like oyu said, tokyo drive could stand on it's own for a bit.

but it is interesting to hear them do things which wouldn't be on a typical plaid album. the last couple of normal plaid albums were too much of the same, for me. but after these ost's their next album might bring some new cards to the table again. *crosses fingers*

Spot on that really, i think id have to see the movie to sync the sound and imagery together and im sure it will all make sense

Good to hear Plaid experimenting more with different styles, Host is another track after a few listens which could stand up as a good track on its own

• 8 months later...

I agree, it's very, very good! Some of the tracks are reminiscent of Temple of Transparent Balls/Spanners era Black Dog, imho. with a little bit of Restproof Clockwork style in there too!

But a great new piece of work by Handley/Turner. Totally beats anything that the more dancefloor orientated Black Dog of today have released in recent years, definitely.

Guest bitroast

i also love Masato Shuffle. despite it's simplicity it's really rather beautiful.

i remember absolutely loving non hoi but i recently listened on headphones and it was nottt headphones music. sounded so cheap :(

i also love Masato Shuffle. despite it's simplicity it's really rather beautiful.

i remember absolutely loving non hoi but i recently listened on headphones and it was nottt headphones music. sounded so cheap :(

Really? Always sounds good on headphones to me.

What do you mean by "cheap" ?? Maybe your headphones aint so good. smile.gif

I love the album from start to finish. I dont think there's a bad track on there really.

Listening to Tekkon Kinkreet and this, back-to-back, randomised, is also a good experience. 2 superb albums.

..cant wait for Scintilli !

feels 'slight' and the most incidental work plaid have put out, yet

but that fits i guess

nah. couldn't agree less!

for real "slight" and incidental/ incindental work, check out the latest black dog releases lol

• 1 month later...
Guest Joebot Kill

i love this album. if this were on vinyl, side D would be absolutely epic: durban pain, orchard, host, and two rooms. these four songs are some of their best in my opinion. some of the tracks do sound like theyre supposed to be background music, but what do you want? its a soundtrack! i remember last christmas when i woke up and found that this had been leaked. driving around the empty streets on a snowy christmas day, listening to new plaid music. thats pretty much the best gift i could have possibly gotten.

• 10 months later...

I've only listened once to it, but I will more often. Was on a classical music trip and Plaid was always my love. TBD Spanners was epic. First I was sceptical because of the OST, but:

THIS IS FUCKING GORGEOUS!

It does stand for it's own. Just imagine this wasn't an OST. Imagine this is another Plaid album.

The opener, Masato Shuffle, is an audible interpretation of a dream. Reminded me a bit of BOC. A lot of peace in this album. Some very typical Plaid elements (e.g. the instruments in "Seeking"), but they developed, I like the usage of natural instruments.

GOOD GOOD GOOD!

I've only listened once to it, but I will more often. Was on a classical music trip and Plaid was always my love. TBD Spanners was epic. First I was sceptical because of the OST, but:

THIS IS FUCKING GORGEOUS!

It does stand for it's own. Just imagine this wasn't an OST. Imagine this is another Plaid album.

The opener, Masato Shuffle, is an audible interpretation of a dream. Reminded me a bit of BOC. A lot of peace in this album. Some very typical Plaid elements (e.g. the instruments in "Seeking"), but they developed, I like the usage of natural instruments.

GOOD GOOD GOOD!

Sometimes I am tempted to recommend this album to Plaid n00bs before even their classics. It's THAT good.

yeah i agree it's a really good album. in a lot of ways better than tekkon kinkreet, imo.

i listened to both those albums before i'd seen any film and they both sound just as good as any other Plaid album..... in some ways better.

haven't even seen Heaven's Door here yet.. but i know i prefer tekkon OST outside of the film.

and the fact they wrote this music for film is just a testament to what brilliant musicians they are.

they do sound like proper Plaid albums. maybe not 'warp' albums, whatever that is. but they're definitely 'Plaid' all the way.

so, on a bright side, if we all consider Heaven's Door highly enough, then it's been less than a 2yr wait for Scintilli.......... ?? :)

so, on a bright side, if we all consider Heaven's Door highly enough, then it's been less than a 2yr wait for Scintilli.......... ?? :)

Their output intervals have actually been really consistent. And I feel that both Tekkonkinkreet OST and Heaven's Door were stronger than Spokes, so there's really no room to complain. The only problem is that we've known about Scintilli for so long that it's irritating not to have it. Had there been no other news, and all we knew was "oh here's a soundtrack" and "oh here's another one" and they were (are) both awesome, then no problems as far as I'm concerned.

1997 - Not For Threes

1999 - Rest Proof Clockwork

2001 - Double Figure

2003 - Spokes

2006 - Tekkonkinkreet OST

2008 - Heaven's Door

That's consistent to me! :cisfor:

1997 - Not For Threes

2001 - Double Figure

2003 - Spokes

2008 - Heaven's Door

The best news: I didn't ever hear of Tekkonkinkreet until now, due to my IDM abscence (just had an eye on Ae) in the last years. Yeah! Bleep does not seem to have it. Where can I get it - downloadable, preferably lossless and on a legal way?

1997 - Not For Threes

2001 - Double Figure

2003 - Spokes

2008 - Heaven's Door

yeah man, you're right. i feel ashamed for whinging about Scintilli, really........

but it is just, like you say, cos it's been known about for so long. info here 'n there saying it's out this year, but then it hasn't been.

so, just a bit annoying is all. frustrating, too. but then who are we to expect/demand music from anybody?

but it is just, like you say, cos it's been known about for so long. info here 'n there saying it's out this year, but then it hasn't been.

so, just a bit annoying is all. frustrating, too. but then who are we to expect/demand music from anybody?

You can listen to Chopins Nocturnes meanwhile ;) They're lovely.

Op. 48-1 for instance. EDIT: Ooooh, great, Yt get's auto embedded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvILK2AO0rU

i love this album. if this were on vinyl, side D would be absolutely epic: durban pain, orchard, host, and two rooms. these four songs are some of their best in my opinion.

Good statement, they are.

Durban Pain: This is the Psil-Cosyin (from Spanners) of Heaven's Door. I love them both.

• 2 months later...

1 of the presets in the Korg Legacy Analog edition sounds just like that bass! ^

i love a Moog as much as the next music nerd tho. :)

wish i never sold my Micromoog, that thing was wicked! same filter as the original Minimoog... Godammit.

Archived