IGNORED

if the tuss was squarepusher none of you would give a shit

Guest Helper ET

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd definitely be more excited if the Tuss wasn't Aphex, or Squarepusher, or someone else big. There are very few fantastic IDM composers (producers? what is the right word here?), it would be even awesome-er if music like the Tuss was made by someone else.

Guest inteeliguntdesign
I'd definitely be more excited if the Tuss wasn't Aphex, or Squarepusher, or someone else big. There are very few fantastic IDM composers (producers? what is the right word here?), it would be even awesome-er if music like the Tuss was made by someone else.

yup.

compared to other artists, i give afx's music far more time to grow on me if i'm a little unsure of any of his new releases, because of past experiences. then again, i liked the tuss from the start, before i was sure it was afx, thereby proving we should bar et from starting new topics in future. make it so.

i am definitely more interested in a song richard d james made than a song someone else did, and will no doubt have a biased opinion towards it. not to say if it's shit i wont say it's shit, but i'm more likely to see the good than the bad. i'm like this with everyone... favorite writers, favorite singers, favorite painters, whatever. maybe it's loyalty, maybe it's obsession, maybe it's human nature, but I am gay for richard d james' music in the gayest sense of the word gay.

pretty much this

I could care less who makes it

We've been over this.

yeah what's that about? only americans say it as far as i've noticed. It quite obviously doesn't make sense.

Everybody tries to use this argument all the time. "oh, well if aphex did it, then it would be so popular, people would think it was good, blah blah blah"

yeah no shit. I don't know about you guys, but if am interested in an artist, I like to see how they have progressed over time, what themes and motifs they have visited and revisited, etc. A painting that looks like a picasso doesn't replace a picasso. If every track I heard was by "no-name" or if there were only tracks by people who only put out one piece of work in their entire lives, I would have no interest in the art that is electronic music. Basically my point is, "that certain pieces of art are tied to certain artists is significant to my valuing and appreciation of said art, and I have no shame in this admission. I believe that the human being(s) behind certain pieces of art is a significant and even essential factor to the study and understanding of the progression of these arts".

So yeah, I agree in your statement's essence (although I do personally like squarepusher and would give a shit if it were him), however, I disagree with your attempt to make me feel shame for tryin to understand and appreciate art using an artists name as a basis. It is a creative output tied to a certain person's mind, and that alone is enough to inspire fascination in my own mind.

Besides that, I do believe the output of "the tuss" is very interesting beyond that notion that it is RDJ. Its very good music. So I disagree with your both your notion that the tuss is bad, and that squarepusher is bad, as well as your implication that it is somehow unveiling some secret shameful truth that many of us only appreciate art based on the creator. Again, I do believe the creator is important and we should not feel shame in attaching appreciation to the creator.

EDIT: oh yeah basically I'm just agreeing with mgriff in a long winded way.

Guest Enter a new display name

Fact: Every time Autechre releases something new, any fan gives it at least 50 listens before judging it.

Guest Calx Sherbet
Yeh cuz Squarepusher is bollocks, has been for a while.

whaaaaa????

it's melodic and more simple and easily accessible to people who weren't really into him at first, and it moved farther away from his harsh experimental stuff. that's why people hate it

Guest Synthacat 9
Yeh cuz Squarepusher is bollocks, has been for a while.
why do you say that

Fact: Every time Autechre releases something new, any fan gives it at least 50 listens before judging it.
it took me a few listens to warm up to Quaristice, but I'd definitely say I perceive it a lot different than when I first listened to it. not like it's my favorite album or anything but I can definitely get down to it every once in a while lol

good lord i doubt you mean that, but if you do :beer:

Well it's my personal favorite. There is no quantifiable "best". 5 years ago I wouldn't think so because it wasn't IDM enough, but now I'd much rather jam out to Hello Meow than something completely atonal and full of frequencies that make my eyelid twitch.

also squarepusher peaked in the late 90s/early 00s. or at least if his last two are anything to judge by. too high a garbage to good ratio for me. he's like venetian snares but doesn't release enough to really hold my interest.

*puts on flame retardant gear*

it took me a few listens to warm up to Quaristice, but I'd definitely say I perceive it a lot different than when I first listened to it. not like it's my favorite album or anything but I can definitely get down to it every once in a while lol

I think the point was, if this was some other random artist that you stumbled upon for the first time, and it didn't click with you... would you even bother listening to it 50 times? How many times do I have to listen to Nickelback before I start liking it?

I really like Autechre btw.

autechre, though it takes many listens to really love, catches interest on the first listen. they show dynamic.

nickelback, however, basically shows you every song they've written through the first listen of any of their tracks.

I could care less who makes it

We've been over this.

yeah what's that about? only americans say it as far as i've noticed. It quite obviously doesn't make sense.

I've been told that it comes from sarcasm but I doubt meaning is considered when those words are spoken. I don't think I've ever heard/read an American say "I couldn't care less".

Archived