IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

The Wolfman - 3/10

What a disgrace.

why?

The Wolfman 4/10

The film starts off with a montage, but you soon realize the whole film is a montage, the "wolfmen" look silly once they have changed, pretty much just like the old school wolfduder,

there is hardly any to none character development (Hugo Weaving was good but I kept waiting for him to say, "Mr Anderson." The director was cashing in on his Weavingness)...

I walked out trying to remember the names of the characters, stopped caring. I actually walked out before it ended....

the 4 that I gave it is for the location, some of the A.D.D. camera work, cinematography and the were-change effectory (which was the best part of the film, even if it did happen in some ridiculous situations)......

otherwise, this film is a big SUCK! Luckily, I got in for free....

but this movie = :facepalm:

no one seems to read my posts....

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

me too but they were shattered....

other points: it was never remotely frightening, Benecio Del Toro gives his worst acting performance to date, and Anthony Hopkins gives a pretty horrible one as well....

sad

it's been a while since i've been convinced by the look of a period piece (1800s) big budget hollywood movie, with all the CGI overuse and post production lighting effects in Wolfman it just looked very sterile to me in the trailer, like someone trying way too hard with all the wrong tools to recreate that gloomy aesthetic. they probably don't let them anymore in hollywodd, but hiding/obscuring things visually from the audience actually increases the tension and suspense. I can see this rubbery over the top cgi wolfman transforming all over the preview, i mean you're not supposed to see that in a trailer! why would the fucking show that? Wolfman from monster squad is 5x scarier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgkIRE1TIf8

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

the proposition

ray winstone is a horrible actor and could ruin any movie. luckily nick cave wrote the dialogue so this was already ruined. soundtrack is great though.

oh bullshit, ive seen winstone do some great acting jobs. he isnt overly remarkable in the proposition but he played his part well.

and the proposition had some hilariously dark dialogue

it's been a while since i've been convinced by the look of a period piece (1800s) big budget hollywood movie, with all the CGI overuse and post production lighting effects in Wolfman it just looked very sterile to me in the trailer, like someone trying way too hard with all the wrong tools to recreate that gloomy aesthetic. they probably don't let them anymore in hollywodd, but hiding/obscuring things visually from the audience actually increases the tension and suspense. I can see this rubbery over the top cgi wolfman transforming all over the preview, i mean you're not supposed to see that in a trailer! why would the fucking show that? Wolfman from monster squad is 5x scarier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgkIRE1TIf8

QFT

the proposition

ray winstone is a horrible actor and could ruin any movie. luckily nick cave wrote the dialogue so this was already ruined. soundtrack is great though.

he was good in quadrophenia, scum, sexy beast and nil by mouth.

but yeah he's shit now.

519zybJbAcL._SS500_.jpg

has anyone seen this? i saw it maybe 7 or 8 years ago and i remember danny hustons performance being incredibly intense. ive been meaning to watch it again but there are no torrents and the only dvds available are insanely priced and pal.

Guest futuregirlfriend

9 Rota / 9th Company - Pretty enjoyable for a modern war film. Cheesy in places with some CGI that looks pretty wonky. It would have been best to stay away from this Hollywood stuff imo, but this film did make some big bucks, so what do I know. Pretty funny but I think some of it was lost in translation (probably the fault of the shitty .srt I downloaded from opensubtitles.org). Could of done without some of the OTT heroics, but they were to be expected. Some good, believable characters, though some seemed to lose their personality as the film went on. Structurally, it is very similar to FMJ, so much so that I was expecting a Gomer Pyle moment in the first half. I'd have liked the film to touch on why the Russians were in Afghanistan, or some Russian perspective of what was going on at the time, more about soviet times. The climactic scene could of done with a bit more tension and some aspects seemed goofy as the dir. seemed to be trying to make a point rather than go for realism. If you watch it you'll see. Still, it was a satisfying watch.

the proposition

he was good in quadrophenia, scum, sexy beast and nil by mouth.

but yeah he's shit now.

Nil by Mouth is such an underrated film.

Extract 5/10 - Really wanted to like this. Most of the leads are played well and the characters feel true to life but seems like Judge couldn't decide what he wanted the main storylines to be. It feels like a lot was possibly cut out of this film. Not as good as 'Office Space' or 'Idiocracy'.

Nil by Mouth is such an underrated film.

agreed. the scene near the end where hes talking about his father is heartbreaking. the guy was a cunt tho (the charcater, not winstone). the scene where he beats his wife nearly to death is quite repulsive but incredibly, scarily well acted.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

i haven't finished watching the proposition yet but ray winstone is making it tough going.

oh martha

sexy beast was only good because we saw lovejoy get bummed. 10/10 for that alone

finally, FINALLY, saw Lady Vengeance to round out the trilogy...and....i don't think ive been moved by a film like that in a long long time....i can't even describe how utterly beautiful that entire movie is....i think its in my top 10 of all time.

Madadayo - :lol::cry::flower::happy: brilliant film.

Man, I haven't seen that film in forever. *goes looking for vhs*

World's Greatest Dad 8/10 - Surprisingly good. The slow-motion scene at the end of the film felt out of place but otherwise the film struck the right tone.

Guest Al Hounos

finally, FINALLY, saw Lady Vengeance to round out the trilogy...and....i don't think ive been moved by a film like that in a long long time....i can't even describe how utterly beautiful that entire movie is....i think its in my top 10 of all time.

yeah, the vengeance trilogy is intense.

park chan-wook and kim ki-duk have helped make korean art cinema some of the most interesting in the world in the past decade or so...

yeah, the vengeance trilogy is intense.

park chan-wook and kim ki-duk have helped make korean art cinema some of the most interesting in the world in the past decade or so...

definately..and the funny thing to me is, I would consider Oldboy the weakest film overall (though its an amazing film in its own right_

Mr. Vengeance literally built my emotions up, swept them all away, and then pounded what little husk was left into the ground in the second half. I really think if this was shot on a bigger budget like the successive films it wouldn't have nearly the impact.

Oldboy was the stylish, sorta "action" piece of the trilogy, brilliant camera work, great wordplay, excellent neo-Shakespearean tragic narrative...and the ending is absolutely amazing.

Mrs. Vengeance however is my favorite of the trilogy because it brings all of those emotions and styles shown in the first two together so effortlessly...it was one part Amelie, one part Oldboy, one part new wave cinema, etc etc etc...

the best part of all three though, which IMHO makes them so important in film history is how perfectly Park's portrayal of the "everyman seeking revenge" seeps into these character studies....every single one is so immensely different, and yet the audience can almost immediately relate and empathize with everything these characters experience.

presently re-watching das boot

damn, it's aged well. the underwater scenes are some of the most claustrophobic ever commited to film.

was it the extra long cut?

150 minutes (Theatrical cut)

209 minutes (Director's cut)

293 minutes (Original uncut version)

330 minutes (1985 TV miniseries)

Commando - 10/10

This movie probably has some of the best Arnold one-liners ever. I mean, who can forget the scene where Arnold throws (yes, he THROWS) a big ass pipe through the bad guy's stomach and into the big metal cannister behind him. This, of course, results steam going through coming out of pipe and Arnold says, "Let some steam off, Bennett"

Also, the fact that Arnold's name is John Matrix in this movie makes it a lot better.

Oh, and here's another great quote:

Cooke: You scared, motherfucker? Well, you should be, because this Green Beret is going to kick your big ass!

Matrix: I eat Green Berets for breakfast. And right now, I'm very hungry!

The Wolfman - 3/10

What a disgrace.

why?

Because watching Ray Liotta eating a rare steak would be more exciting and perhaps a even scarier...

Archived