IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

I watched The Shining last night - or at least half of it. Hadn't watched it in a while and to be honest I've never really been a big fan of it. That Shelley-what's-her-name must be one of the worst actors of all time. She doesn't deliever one line in the entire movie that sounds a tiny bit convincing. Jack Nicholson on the other hand is brilliant and one scene that caught my attention was the scene in the kitchen where Danny talks to Dick ( Scatman Crothers ) about The Shining. I don't know why I've never paid any attention to this scene, because it's actually quite brilliant. It's almost like a scary Tarantino-scene - you know, it's a lenghty scene where nothing much happens except for some well written dialogue.

I'm going to finish it tonight.

really? that's funny... i always thought she carries off a great portrayal of a do-anything-to-please-her-man wife, annoyingly dutiful but down trodden and trying to be up-beat... then pretty convincingly walking egg-shells as he slips into madness, on the knife's edge, then completely terrified, shit-scared.

i like her performance alot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIS6yZqr4Gk#t=06m21s

It's mostly this scene @ 6:21

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

why did everyone like the Informant, I thought it was a snoozer and really lame story

i liked the 'this american life' episode with the guy/story that it was based on.

haven't seen the film yet but will add to my netflix q based on positives comments on here.

I watched The Shining last night - or at least half of it. Hadn't watched it in a while and to be honest I've never really been a big fan of it. That Shelley-what's-her-name must be one of the worst actors of all time. She doesn't deliever one line in the entire movie that sounds a tiny bit convincing. Jack Nicholson on the other hand is brilliant and one scene that caught my attention was the scene in the kitchen where Danny talks to Dick ( Scatman Crothers ) about The Shining. I don't know why I've never paid any attention to this scene, because it's actually quite brilliant. It's almost like a scary Tarantino-scene - you know, it's a lenghty scene where nothing much happens except for some well written dialogue.

I'm going to finish it tonight.

Shelley Duvall is pretty awful, however her irritating helpnessness may justify Nicholsen's drinking/madness problem somewhat.

see i think that's a good scene squee... emphasises her pathetic, down-trodden, awkwardness and her unwilling isolation.

interesting.

I think she veers between acting poorly and acting pretty well, but the main problem is that she is just so damn googly-eyed and homely you want her to die.

see i think that's a good scene squee... emphasises her pathetic, down-trodden, awkwardness and her unwilling isolation.

interesting.

I think she veers between acting poorly and acting pretty well, but the main problem is that she is just so damn googly-eyed and homely you want her to die.

lol she's no oil painting that's for sure

videocracy

i wouldn't know how to rate this, but it sure is one of the most fucked up documentaries i've ever seen, about berlusconis italy and it's (his) controlled media. i knew it was bad, but this? to say that it's decadence gone wild would be an understatement. goddamn.

i hope i don't get a warning for this, but here's the documentary, and here are the subtitles if anyone's interested.

i used to like italy. :(

Gattaca 8/10 - why don't they make intellectual scifi movies like this anymore? For a mainstream film this was surprisingly non showoffy. There were some dated/ hard to believe events in the movie, like Ethan Hawke shedding off his dead skin cells to hide his identity. i thought overall it was very good, to me this is what scifci is really all about. Having a technologically possible imaginable concept be the back drop for actual human drama. Too often i feel like scifi movies become more about the technology itself and loose sight of why its important to have relatable characters and a meaningful story

Guest tidbit

videocracy

i wouldn't know how to rate this, but it sure is one of the most fucked up documentaries i've ever seen, about berlusconis italy and it's (his) controlled media. i knew it was bad, but this? to say that it's decadence gone wild would be an understatement. goddamn.

i hope i don't get a warning for this, but here's the documentary, and here are the subtitles if anyone's interested.

i used to like italy. :(

oh yes, just recently saw this as well...

whats wrong with them? i cannot understand

Guest ataraxy2

Gattaca 8/10 - why don't they make intellectual scifi movies like this anymore? For a mainstream film this was surprisingly non showoffy. There were some dated/ hard to believe events in the movie, like Ethan Hawke shedding off his dead skin cells to hide his identity. i thought overall it was very good, to me this is what scifci is really all about. Having a technologically possible imaginable concept be the back drop for actual human drama. Too often i feel like scifi movies become more about the technology itself and loose sight of why its important to have relatable characters and a meaningful story

You may like Moon.

Guest Z_B_Z

tonight ive learned that i really want to like 'funny people' but ultimately its an aimless self indugant piece of shit. even tho judd apatow is influenced by some good movies. in fact, its his influence that overtakes him. hes funny but not all that deep, no matter how hard he tries. but i dont rule out wes anderson calibre work from him in the future.. something like a bottle rocket or a rushmore..

edit - wes anderson is such shit these days. but i still have to see the fox one

also - caligula - 6/10 but only beacuse it was in hd and it was funny

I like Caligula. I mean all you really have to say is it's a film with both Malcolm McDowell and Helen Mirren. C'mon, a 7/10 for Helen Mirren's tits alone.

I just watched the original Die Hard with my gf who'd never seen it. John McTiernan was one of the best action directors (we'll just forget Last Action Hero, Medicine Man, Rollerball, etc).

The Last Action Hero was awesome. My mom rented it for me when I was home from school one day because I was sick. It was fantastic. I wish I had a magic Houdini movie ticket myself.

Anyway, I watched a short documentary/interview called 'A Slice of Lynch' with David Lynch, Kyle MacLachlan, Mädchen Amick, and some other guy. They told each other stories about the time during the production of Twin Peaks. It was pretty much just a walk down memory lane and it was like meeting old friends again. Not much of a movie and not really a documentary but if you're a fan of Twin Peaks then it'll definitely do you good.

Guest Z_B_Z

I like Caligula. I mean all you really have to say is it's a film with both Malcolm McDowell and Helen Mirren. C'mon, a 7/10 for Helen Mirren's tits alone.

I just watched the original Die Hard with my gf who'd never seen it. John McTiernan was one of the best action directors (we'll just forget Last Action Hero, Medicine Man, Rollerball, etc).

mirrens hot but her tits were hardly her greatest asset.

i was reading the booklet that came along with it and supposedly mcdowell was quoted as saying that after he'd seen the final cut, he said something along the lines of "now i know what it feels like to be raped".

oh come on. medicine man was ok.

confession: I never saw Last Action Hero, Medicine Man, or Rollerball (though as a kid I did see and enjoy the original). So I'm full of shit, but the clips/trailers that I saw sure looked bad.

confession: I never saw Last Action Hero, Medicine Man, or Rollerball (though as a kid I did see and enjoy the original). So I'm full of shit, but the clips/trailers that I saw sure looked bad.

It's probably awful as hell but I'm tempted to watch it. Very tempted in fact.

Guest ataraxy2

Just rewatched 11:14. One of my favourite comedies, and so brilliantly written. It's great being omniscient while most of the characters are clueless. Favourite segments go to Hilary Swank/Rachael Leigh Cook.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

my son my son what have ye done

pretty much what i expected. very little story. the whole film hangs on the cinematography (which at times is beautiful and at other times looks very digital daytime tv-ish) and the performances (mostly shannon but also grace whatsit is incredibly creepy as the mom).

one issue i had was that in the entire film the guy was crazy. we never saw him not crazy. so it was hard to believe that chloe whatsit would be engaged to him. what did she ever like about him? in all the flashbacks you're wondering why she is there with him. plus the play director ha to keep saying "he was disruptive but i kept him because he was so very good" (at acting) but we never see him being anything but disruptive.

michael shannon was very good. hes got a really strong face. what else is he good in?

the lynch influence on the film is not really there. i don't think he was involved at all. not on set anyway. so the odd pauses and weird feeling all come from herzog.

need to let it sit before i can rate it.

Guest Z_B_Z

Bug is a hoot if you want to watch some more Michael Shannon being crazy action.

he was amazing in 'shotgun stories' too.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead 8/10

Great story and great acting. I was really surprised by Ethan Hawke. I didn't know he could give such impressive and convincing performances. And Marissa Tomei... she looks so tired and yet so cute. :emotawesomepm9:

Archived