IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw The Hurt Locker, pretty good. might have been great if it ended one minute earlier.

yeah, that's good observation. I just saw it today, was a bit let down after the hype. Felt very manufactured to me, like it was tailor made to meet the expectations of the "educated elite" as to what a "real gritty Iraq war drama" should be. Pretty forgettable, but well filmed. 6/10.

I really can't figure out why the Iraq war has been mostly impervious to decent fiction films. I guess I can't complain, it's a pretty good war and the Docs that have come out about it are some of the best I've seen. No End In Sight is fucking incredible. I still need to see Taxi to the Darkside.

Heavy Metal Baghdad is the most memorable Iraq war film i've seen, if not for being the most heart wrenching. the ending was extremely emotional. I don't want to give anything away but it really brought the war home to me in a way that no other movie or documentary has.

...so are there really more people here who have paid money to see GI Joe vs District 9?

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

ponyo 7/10

wasn't sure on ponyo. lots is unexplained which would surely even confused a child. they animated the shit out of the sea though and ponyo fish was cute

As far as Iraq war films go, I still have a soft spot for Three Kings. I suppose it's a bit obvious in some ways but at least it has humor and zigs where you expect it to zag, which counts for a lot. It's probably similar to the sort of Iraq film I'd make in my mind, apart from the exploding football bit.

ponyo 7/10

they animated the shit out of the sea though

lol

Guest Adjective

is he the one that did that movie where the racoons use their testicles as a weapon, or something? i remember racoons and balls

Guest Mr Salads

The labyrinth - 6.5/10

35mm. enjoyed the first half but there should have been some more dance sequences with david bowie. i think it's confusing he has basically one in the entire movie. replace the final scene where the rocks roll into the village and just have a dance scene there.

Inglourious Basterds

Good. A nice antithesis to Valkyrie.

PS: When you're watching a movie in a theater, do you find yourself not laughing at things everyone else does? I find situations and character quirks funny, but a lot of the time, the one-liners that make the audience erupt in laughter don't really seem that funny to me.

The Sacrifice - This used to be an all time favorite of mine, while it's still pretty aesthetically perfect I focused more on the hints dropped throughout the film that Erland Josephson's character might just be insane. Still pretty incredible, even if taken as an existential comedy.

Thirst 6.5/10, not as good as anything in Park Chanwook's revenge trilogy but still had some great stand out moments. It doesn't totally work as a whole but that does not mean it's not worth seeing. However, if I find out down the road that this movie was solely designed as a tirade against Twilight I'll give it a 10/10 and a blowjob for good measure.

Tried to go see Inglorious Basterds tonight but it was sold out. I kind of wish I hadn't guessed the ending in advance and had it verified. Not having seen it in context it strikes me as one of the most absurd "love me" conceptions I can think of in recent memory.

Guest Adjective

State of Play 5/10* (american film adaptation of the series)

This movie blew. The dialogue didn't feel natural at all and was multiplied for Russell Crowe in particular because of his crap accent. Ben Affleck sucked a dick. Jason Bateman at first threw up a lot of red flags for me, but overall I thought his performance was pretty darn good. The soundtrack was like out of a 1990s Ron Howard power-Hanks thriller and kept making me laugh and sigh-turn-look at the host. This upset my host enough that he later shat all over my louis c.k. standup pick, which followed the movie. He paused it and reduced it to some four word formula that would predict the rest of the act and then left the room. I haven't seen the original series but I guess I spoiled that one.

State of Play is a friend divider.

*not sober at time of viewing

PS: When you're watching a movie in a theater, do you find yourself not laughing at things everyone else does? I find situations and character quirks funny, but a lot of the time, the one-liners that make the audience erupt in laughter don't really seem that funny to me.

Aye.

When I watched Observe and Report I think I was the only one in the theater who laughed when Seth Rogen gets angry after Ray Liotta takes over the investigation. He does this weird kick at the chair that makes absolutely no sense. Loved it.

Archived