IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Danny Boyle's The Beach - 5/10

It could have been a great movie but the 3rd act kinda ruined it.

i would give it a higher score but i agree that the final 3rd of the movie is really brought down by the whole leo going crazy part, it just went on for waaaaay to fucking long. by the time it was over i forgot what i was supposed to be caring about in the movie.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Few Good Men

7/10, not too bad

Would have been good to have seen Jack Nicholson in more scenes..

I don't tend to like Cruise that much but he nailed it well in this film

The notion of soldiers becoming brainwashed, throwing morals out of the window in exchange for orders from their superiors fits well in this day and age after seeing what has came out of the war in Iraq/Afghanistan.

a few good men

7/10, not too bad

Would have been good to have see Jack Nicholson in more scenes..

I don't tend to like Cruise that much but he nailed it well in this film

The notion of soldiers becoming brainwashed, throwing morals out of the window in exchange for orders fits well in this day and age after seeing what has came out of the war in Iraq/Afghanistan.

yes it is film that is very applicable for today, especially in lieu of the argument of prosecuting higher ups for torture or just punishing the people who followed the orders. it was the first time i ever heard of Guantanamo bay, the place must have had a reputation for hardcore shit going down long before 9/11.

edit: did you notice Christopher Guest playing the expert medical witness? i wish he was in more normal character acting roles like this, he was great. Its too bad rob reiner lost his charm, he made a few great films in his time. I'm looking at IMDB right now and after a few good men he really tanked, i don't think i was able to sit through any of his films after that all the way through

hellboy 2, i enjoyed it more than the first one. goooood stuff.

Hellboy looked freaky as a kid. I would have been so ashamed of him that I would have killed him.

hellboy 2, i enjoyed it more than the first one. goooood stuff.

Hellboy looked freaky as a kid. I would have been so ashamed of him that I would have killed him.

Short film extravaganza, even if I'd already seen these before it was great to revisit them.

3 Extremes.

Dumplings - kind of boring, might have been better as a short story than a short film. Good to show to squeamish types though. 6/10

CUT: Park Chanwook's baroque stylings give me cinematic wood. 9/10

Box: Miike's best film, hands down. I love how it manages to be scary while quiet and be complex yet simple. His best looking film as well 10/10.

Fishing with John. 8.5/10. John Lurie goes fishing with Willem Dafoe, Jim Jarmusch, Tom Waits and Dennis Hopper. What more do you need to know?

CUT: Park Chanwook's baroque stylings give me cinematic wood. 9/10

Box: Miike's best film, hands down. I love how it manages to be scarywhile quiet and be complex yet simple. His best looking film as well10/10.

could one of you elaborate as to which "box" and "cut" these are? if you couldpost an imdb link it would be very much appreciated, i'd like to see it!

best film i've seen in the past year was synechdoche, new york. ended up watching it a few times and taking some notes to help fully process it all -- great flick! incredibly layered and original plot with great/hilarious imagery.

10/10

i actually quite enjoyed 500 days of summer. i thought it was a refreshing entrant into the romantic genres. some of the imagery was overplayed but, while it wasn't spectacular, it was thouroughly enjoyable.

7.5/10

i've got to run to class, but i'll add some more later!

Guest beatfanatic

I watched The Brothers Bloom the other day. What a messy movie. 5/10

Then I watched Jarhead (again, again, again) and I still love it. 9/10

Yeah I had to stop Brothers Bloom halfway through because I just didnt care for the plot any longer. It seems like it was trying to be quirky but it failed miserably.

I saw Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later last night and I loved it. I would give it a 8/10. I did enjoy the first half of the movie more than the second half though.

I watched The Brothers Bloom the other day. What a messy movie. 5/10

Then I watched Jarhead (again, again, again) and I still love it. 9/10

Yeah I had to stop Brothers Bloom halfway through because I just didnt care for the plot any longer. It seems like it was trying to be quirky but it failed miserably.

I saw Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later last night and I loved it. I would give it a 8/10. I did enjoy the first half of the movie more than the second half though.

Before you feel intrigued to watch 28 Weeks Later let me just tell you that it is an absolute disgrace. The opening scene is actually brilliant and extremely moving but then it's just downhill from there.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - 6/10

I still don't understand why the majority prefers this over Life Of Brian (9/10).

i agree, holy grail is severely overrated. Life of Brian is my favorite python film followed by Meaning of Life.

holy grail is severely overrated. Life of Brian is my favorite python film

This. But the other way around.

but Life of brian isn't overrated by any margin, however they have made a house wife marketed musical out of Holy Grail called Spamalot, it's fine if you say Holy grail is better but it's inaccurate as a mother fucker to say life of brian is over hyped at large

holy grail is severely overrated. Life of Brian is my favorite python film

This. But the other way around.

but Life of brian isn't overrated by any margin, however they have made a house wife marketed musical out of Holy Grail called Spamalot, it's fine if you say Holy grail is better but it's inaccurate as a mother fucker to say life of brian is over hyped at large

Only in my personal experience really, most people I know love Life of Brian. I did too when I was younger, but find it embarassingly bad when I watch it now. I just find Holy Grail better, should have specified that really.

the talented mr ripley 8/10

extremely weird, extremely gay. lots of beautiful people in beautiful locations though, which is what film is all about.

the talented mr ripley 8/10

extremely weird, extremely gay. lots of beautiful people in beautiful locations though, which is what film is all about.

haha, nice review, I really like that when it came out. Probably Jude Law's best acting along with Gattaca, Paltrow was good too, and this was before PS Hoffman became an indie staple so it's ok to like him.

Jonathan Meades - Joe Building

I don't care if it's technically a television documentary, this film about the architecture of the USSR under Stalin was fucking fantastic. 10/10, as with most Meades films.

Holy shit, I'm so glad you recommended this. I'm at part 6/8 and I'm loving it. This Meades fellow is like Christopher Hitchens but geared towards all my personal interests.

Guest Mirezzi

Clean, Shaven - This was much ado about nothing. It was far too contrived and filled with production errors to take seriously. From the moment Peter Greene begins overacting in the first 20 seconds, I knew I wasn't gonna like it. Then, of course, there are things like dead bodies heaving and clearly breathing (meanwhile, the director was too stupid to shoot for coverage, so they obviously had nothing to cut to), or the use of extreme closeups which paralyzed the actors into making unrealistic movements. Mostly, I just didn't care about the story whatsoever.

Saw (500) Days of Summer earlier, pretty predictable throughout with what I'm sure people would describe as an "eclectic" soudntrack, but kind of enjoyable nonetheless. Still don't get the Zooey love though, I never will do.

Archived