IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Guest zaphod

for what it's worth i've only seen strangelove once and it was many years ago. i'll rewatch it sometime. no denying that sellers gave a crazy good performance in it or that it has seeped into the popular consciousness, but i didn't really think it was funny.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Shit Attack

well its dated in the sense its a 50 year old black + white comedy about the threat of nuclear war from communist russia . In terms of what the film is about or the jokes in it its probably quite contemporororary + if it isnt it probably should be

but this is WATMM. time passes quicker here

Guest Mirezzi

Four Lions was about the only attempt i can think of and i thought that was pretty weak + unfunny

I wanted very badly to like Four Lions and although I semi-enjoyed it, I'd say it fell way short of expectations. It would seem Chris Morris took such a long break for good reason.

Ok lets put kubrick's films in order

Barry Lyndon

Clockwork Orange

The Shining

.. Don't like the rest.

how can you not like Dr Strangelove? ? ?

I tried multiple times to watch it, it looks outdated and the jokes are difficult to get (i consider myself a well informed/educated guy but i don't know enough about the cold war and its politics to get the jokes)

i've seen it twice. once i fell asleep and the 2nd time i liked it ok but didnt really get it. its not that funny. its not that thought provoking. its not that weird. its fun but not fun fun

i just lost respect for a handful of people in this thread, simply for not liking one of the greatest movies of all time. thanks for checking in

Guest Smuckers

i just watched Man Bites Dog. Hilarious but really fucking weird. Had no idea what it was about except being Belgian.

Four Lions was about the only attempt i can think of and i thought that was pretty weak + unfunny

I wanted very badly to like Four Lions and although I semi-enjoyed it, I'd say it fell way short of expectations. It would seem Chris Morris took such a long break for good reason.

Yeah agreed, I liked Four Lions but it wasn't as cutting or as funny as I was hoping. I did see Chris Morris at a private preview in Sheffield though which was :wub:

Cheers for those who mentioned Cure a few pages back, really creepy film that stays with you for some time afterwards. Watched The Eye last night, nowhere near as good as I remember.

i just watched Man Bites Dog. Hilarious but really fucking weird. Had no idea what it was about except being Belgian.

i found it really underwhelming. it's not nearly clever enough for a full feature. but it was a while since i seen it, maybe i would like it better now.

from what i remember all those asian movie remakes realy suck compared to the original

i wanted to see RIngu (9/10) last week so i went to the video store to rent it but they had sold it cause everyone just wants to watch The Ring (0/10)

America fuck yeah!

welcome to my world

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

Yeah agreed, I liked Four Lions but it wasn't as cutting or as funny as I was hoping. I did see Chris Morris at a private preview in Sheffield though which was :wub:

i like four lions but I think peoples expectations were way too high. mine were. would have worked better on tv perhaps episodically

frankly, chris morris could make his next film transformers 4 and id still kiss his arse silly just for creating brass eye. four lions was entertaining i thought, nothing special.

Guest Smuckers

from what i remember all those asian movie remakes realy suck compared to the original

i wanted to see RIngu (9/10) last week so i went to the video store to rent it but they had sold it cause everyone just wants to watch The Ring (0/10)

America fuck yeah!

[media=]
[/media]

welcome to my world

hahaha, nice one. that was brilliant!

i like almost famous. it's innocent. the music they created (fever dog!!) was fun and realistic too. jason lee is great in that. cameron crowe bought a zoo after that film

obviously i see the problem with criticising dr strangelove and praising almost famous. but hype and director play a part. If i had to choose right now which movie to watch I might say dr strangelove but i'm judging them on very different criteria. you get me? not backpedalling just seeing the irony

for me its a bit too safe. its nearly a family movie. and i'm a fan of coming-of-age movies in general, but this was just too easy. i liked philip seymour hoffman as lester bangs and that's about it.

i suppose it is pretty safe. the fact it has some basis in cameron crowes life makes it even better for me.

the elton bus sing along!

one of the best movies made by a person who only made one film. Shame really, its probably in my top 5

for me Chris Morris fell on his own sword with Four Lions much the same way Albert Brookes did with Looking for Comedy in the Muslim world. I mean if we were to assume the war on terror and america vs muslims would last for infinity than that shit wouldn't already seem dated and crass, but it already does. Its not a smart idea to make your work of a film be the antithesis of timeless imo

Guest zaphod

erm, wait, so dr strangelove, a film about nuclear war, is not subject to that same criticism? doesn't make sense at all.

for a lot of people who grew up in the 80s, the threat of nuclear war never really ended. but that's for another thread

edit: slight clarification, is that i feel a lot of the concepts played with in Dr Strangelove are just applicable today as they were back then, even though it's a satire it's transcendent i think of a lot of the other movies about communism from the time. For example, if kubrick made a parody of a communist espionage terrorist movie and showed a russian saboteur as a bumbling fool who tries to explode a cow and stupid shit like that, the movie would seem far more dated, at least to me, than Strangelove does. This is essentially what Morris chose to do, instead of doing something about the stupidity of the war on terror (which is kind of what kubrick did about the cold war)

Archived