IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

The Shining - 10/10 - rewatch... my girlfriend decided to let me know that she had never seen the shining, in fact, never even heard of it. So I immediately spent $50 on a fine set of steaks, cooked them up over a few glasses of fine brew. We cuddled up on the couch, our bellies bulging with savageness, and we watched the Shining. It was beautiful.

:ok:

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's supposed to be campy and funny... That's the beauty of it, it's a breath of fresh air in a stale horror climate right now.

I did realize this about halfway through, but I thought it was going to go in a different direction before the end, like drop all the silly shit and really bring the freaky stuff, but it kept that lukewarm tone right until the end. Plus I hate those fake-out endings when they play the "relief at long last" music over some tragic scene, and then something goes wrong, like after the seance.

I did enjoy it, which is why I rated it above a 5, but I was expecting more than I got. I should have just watched the trailers a bunch, those were exciting.

OH! Can we put stage theatre shows in this thread? I saw Of Mice and Men yesterday (5/10). The director doesn't seem to understand character-driven drama, and George had a tendency to overpower Lenny a little too easily, and George was WAY too pissed off in the beginning about being on the hoof with a retard. Plus Lenny thought he was funny, which isn't funny.

Guest Adjective

I watched The Botany of Desire towards the end of a halloween party and it was highly fascinating. I missed probably 50% of it due to the loudness of everyone else but what I did catch hooked me enough to want to download and rewatch. There's a book of the same name which I would imagine goes into greater depth. The doc focuses on four plants and our relationship with them over the course of human history. The apple and cannabis were definitely the highlights.

edit: this is streaming on http://video.pbs.org

Guest Calx Sherbet

Halloween

Just saw Paranormal Activity and then Antichrist. Both films were most non-haenous, adaucious pieces of work with strong female leads who really put the asshole males in their place, similar female characters in both films i think, in the end. Also superb sound design in both films. Anti-christs cinematography was fucking out of this word too, almost started to believe that "nature was satans church". And need too get hold of the track in the end credits too. Wow.

holy shit if this guy has nothing bad to say about these movies then I'm fucking going to watch them

There's absolutely nothing wrong with AntiChrist, I wouldn't know about Paranormal Activity though, but Antichrist is one of the most visually beautiful movies I've ever watched.

i heard the last couple minutes of paranormal ruined the whole thing. antichrist sounds cool though

Drag Me To Hell- 5/10, not scared for a second, laughed at most of it (even the gory stuff was oddly comical),

who woulda expected that with Raimi?

Guest Mirezzi

New rule about this thread...don't just post the title of some movie you watched. If you can't at least chime in with 20 words or so about the movie, then why would anybody give the least fuck why you watched something.

Yes, parteE, I'm talking to you.

New rule about this thread...don't just post the title of some movie you watched. If you can't at least chime in with 20 words or so about the movie, then why would anybody give the least fuck why you watched something.

You're kidding right? I love that.

I've read the Now Playing thread 70 times just because I love knowing what people are listening to at any given time. Bliss.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

You're kidding right? I love that.

I've read the Now Playing thread 70 times just because I love knowing what people are listening to at any given time. Bliss.

i agree with overlook.

Pew pew pew lazors!

Prince of Darkness - I can't believe I had never seen this before. It was always one in Carpenter's catalog that I just seemed to skip over. Then on Saturday, I was reminded about the film twice. Once here, once elsewhere. I'm going to give the film a 7/10 but the concept is definitely a 10/10. Brilliant, in theory, mediocre execution, with the occasional just :facepalm: lol, and I went in wanting to love it, just so I could see it rate better than the 6.5 Al Hounos gave it... meh. I would normally never say this but just maybe it is a rare case in which it may not be a travesty to embark on a remake, with a more competent director at the helm.

Guest Adjective

i used the image of the possessed lady in front of the mirror as an avatar for a while. those few frames are sooooo beautiful

don't get me wrong, I LIKED it, and I found it very entertaining, but I couldn't immerse myself into it as much as the concept deserves. And at which point in front of the mirror? That sequence was a few minutes long.

Or do you mean when "father" is already held on and the arm is kind of half out?

Guest Adjective

p-o-d.jpg i made a gif that was maybe 8 frames around this moment, just i could stay stuck in that moment. i don't have access to the gif anymore though

i found this movie was filled with fascinating concepts and ideas but was ruined by a very generic and very badly executed 'people getting posessed by the devil' if it wasn't for that aspect of the film i think it would have been one of Carpenter's greatest works

9 1/2 weeks 10/10

this was my sexual highpoint as a horny 12yr old. rewatched this recently and it was junk. 10 stars for the memories(mammaries)

i also spanked my baldy wee tadger to this film.

Guest Mirezzi

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - I get that the world's two most good-looking and charming actors teamed up for this and it was a very well-written, entertaining film. Unfortunately, it completely lacked a compelling conflict so the story is more or less flat. It doesn't begin to compare to Newman's best work (Cool Hand Luke, The Hustler). What's most remarkable about BC & TSK is the fucking photography. Gah, there may never be another like Conrad Hall. Dude was in a league of his own.

Roger Ebert blows me away sometimes. He perfectly describes what's wrong with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid over 40 years ago: link.

9 1/2 weeks 10/10

this was my sexual highpoint as a horny 12yr old. rewatched this recently and it was junk. 10 stars for the memories(mammaries)

i also spanked my baldy wee tadger to this film.

*hi5*

and my wife has the audacity to say that basinger is a "poor man's daryl hannah" fuckign lol no i've never seen those titties in splash and believe me i've tried

millers crossing ?/10

instead of watching this like normal people we let it sit around for 3 weeks and then sent it back. not rom com enough or something. FML

Guest Mirezzi

millers crossing ?/10

instead of watching this like normal people we let it sit around for 3 weeks and then sent it back. not rom com enough or something. FML

Huge mistake. :facepalm:

bruce willis is the phil collins of movies

except phil collins made some movies

and they were better than bruce willis movies

so phil collins i the phil collins of movies.

god i love phil collins

Guest Mirezzi

did you see a serious man yet Overlook? i was curious what your opinion of it would be.

I haven't seen it yet. I'll have to wait for video, sadly.

Archived