IGNORED

Norm MacDonald

six

• 6 months later...

Norm sure looks and sounds like he's got it together these days.

The way his middle-of-the-road comments are being made into a problem is ridiculous. What the fuck is wrong with everybody.

This goes both ways - I swear in the last few months every Norm joke compilation has some right-wing "SJW will hate this" spin to it, and likewise there's this very recent left-wing kneejerk reaction on twitter.

Norm is about as anti-drama as you can get and hands off when it comes to current events and it's refreshing TBH. He's not left-wing, he's not right-wing, he's not overtly centrist or moderate. He's like a neutral contrarian. People are trying to read into it way too much.

Edited by joshuatx

god damn. i hate this shit so fucking much. 

me too

edit: that wasn't intentional but oh well

I recently listened to an interview where he absolutely schooled the hosts for being offended when he said 'black people have less money than white people'

See this is exactly why I like Norm - he just lets the host trip on her own words - she's so concerned about sounding racist she becomes the racist one by denying the fact that blacks in America are economically disadvantaged and oppressed - all because the way Norm mentioned it was in his aloof off-putting manner

Norm doesn't say much at all. He's not insightful but he can create situations where he makes people say or provoke insightful comments. He's like the smartest uninformed person around. Ironically many celebrities I wish would talk about politics don't at all. MIke Judge is another one in the same boat - they could pour energy into delving into but they simply don't. Like I said earlier, he's a neutral contrarian. He amuses himself in topical observations instead of seeking out deeper meaning.

Looking forward to checking out his Netflix show tonight. Hopefully it doesn’t get cancelled over this bullshit

It's not. I think it was a one-off thing anyway, but yeah I bet a renewal is off the table

Edited by joshuatx

that interview made me angry irl

Ironically Joy and Whoopi are really fair and sympathetic - it made it very awkward but it was damn sincere on their part. Norm seems pretty goddamn apologetic, remorseful, and above all else lost. 

Norm was so lost in that interview because he has no idea what to do. No one does really. Take Fallon for instance - he cancelled Norm because his some of his longtime writers were upset at Norm...and yet these are likely the same writers who stood by Fallon having Trump on for a softball interview in 2016.

It's the arbitrary and haphazard application of standards that makes me frustrated, angry, saddened. I don't have a dog in the fight, the whole SJW vs anti-PC crowd as a tribal divide is in itself bullshit, and the appealing aspect of Norm was he was this goofy outlier to that whole divide. He had a niche crowd and was far detached from any power or influence wielded by far louder people on social media. This is why I don't go on twitter anymore. This is why I treat insta and FB as non-sociopolitical photo galleries and hobby forums. Otherwise you open yourself up to be publicly shamed.

that interview made me angry irl

Ironically Joy and Whoopi are really fair and sympathetic - it made it very awkward but it was damn sincere on their part. Norm seems pretty goddamn apologetic, remorseful, and above all else lost. 

Norm was so lost in that interview because he has no idea what to do. No one does really. Take Fallon for instance - he cancelled Norm because his some of his longtime writers were upset at Norm...and yet these are likely the same writers who stood by Fallon having Trump on for a softball interview in 2016.

It's the arbitrary and haphazard application of standards that makes me frustrated, angry, saddened. I don't have a dog in the fight, the whole SJW vs anti-PC crowd as a tribal divide is in itself bullshit, and the appealing aspect of Norm was he was this goofy outlier to that whole divide. He had a niche crowd and was far detached from any power or influence wielded by far louder people on social media. This is why I don't go on twitter anymore. This is why I treat insta and FB as non-sociopolitical photo galleries and hobby forums. Otherwise you open yourself up to be publicly shamed.

i was talking about the other interview someone mentioned

awful show btw. maybe it's just the shitty guests but it really is uninteresting and uninspired.

I haven't watched it yet, but the intention is to be shambolic. The guests aren't even supposed to know when the recording has begun. Did you ever watch Norm MacDonald Live?