IGNORED

Why is it cool to hate radiohead?

impakt

Has radiohead done any other tracks that are as good as myxomatosis? That song's really good. All other radiohead songs I've heard are bad.

Be honest.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has radiohead done any other tracks that are as good as myxomatosis? That song's really good. All other radiohead songs I've heard are bad.

Be honest.

I'd say plenty, but if you're looking for tracks that SOUND like Myxomatosis, then I don't think so. Not sure what you've heard. Idioteque, Paperbag Writer, 15 Step... Thom Yorke's solo stuff may be closer to that one. Perhaps Feeling Pulled Apart by Horses....

Don't like those (except idioteque is ok). I've heard Kid A, and a small handful of other tracks. Maybe a better question is, are there any radiohead songs which have "big synth sounds" like myxomatosis?

Just to put this to bed:

"Pyramid Song" is in 4/4. The piano chords are just a swung 3:2 clave:

F# F# G A A A G G F# F#

1+a 2+a 3+a 4+a 1+a 2+a 3+a 4+a 1+a 2+a 3+a 4+a 1+a 2+a 3+a 4+a

F#m F#m E E E G G G G G

Don't like those (except idioteque is ok). I've heard Kid A, and a small handful of other tracks. Maybe a better question is, are there any radiohead songs which have "big synth sounds" like myxomatosis?

I honestly can't think of another.

thanks

Radiohead is responsible for much greatness but I think it's time for them to start recognizing their strengths again and Thom Yorke's tippy tippy drum loops like on TKOL aren't one of them. This may involve Jonny Greenwood actually playing his guitar again. Like at this point we get it you're unpredictable but having all 5 members play during a track and actually sounding like a full band again would be the freshest thing they could do.

Unless it completely ruins our climate and kills all the polar bears.

Guest brendyman

Just to put this to bed:

F# F# G A A A G G F# F#

F#m F#m E E E G G G G G

Thank you for posting that, I could never convince my friends that song was in 4/4

When I was in secondary school I listened to them all day long. This was when Hail to the Thief was new and record shops were full of ads reading "RADIOHEAD: THE INTELLIGENT SIDE OF ROCK", which must've made a few people go "pffft".

They were extremely big back then, at least where I am. Everybody considered them the best band ever and they were especially popular with the kind of dishonest upper-middle class kids who'd base their taste on street cred and whatever Pitchfork says. Another prominent brand of proselytiser were middle-aged U2, REM, etc. fans. This hasn't got to do with the band themselves, but that's what's the paraphernalia surrounding Radiohead was at the time, and I see how people would take an aggressive stance against it. I'm not sure slagging Radiohead themselves off was the best strategy, but it was probably unavoidable.

Me, I don't dislike them, Kid A and Amnesiac are good records, and they have good tracks elsewhere. I do think, though, that Thom Yorke's vocals are too dramatic, as is the general tone of the band, so sometimes it's hard to take them seriously.

Just to put this to bed:

F# F# G A A A G G F# F#

F#m F#m E E E G G G G G

Thank you for posting that, I could never convince my friends that song was in 4/4

When the drums come in the ride cymbal just plays quarter notes so just tell them to listen to that for proof.

Guest brendyman

Radiohead is responsible for much greatness but I think it's time for them to start recognizing their strengths again and Thom Yorke's tippy tippy drum loops like on TKOL aren't one of them. This may involve Jonny Greenwood actually playing his guitar again. Like at this point we get it you're unpredictable but having all 5 members play during a track and actually sounding like a full band again would be the freshest thing they could do.

Unless it completely ruins our climate and kills all the polar bears.

I went to a concert following the release of TKOL and I was really, really surprised that they played a good 90% of those drum loops live, on actual drum sets. They had two drummers (one of them was the drummer from Portishead) and they did all of those skittery, jittery drum patterns on the spot.

I'm not saying TKOL was some groundbreaking "wow" record, honestly a lot of it was pretty boring. But Radiohead has a special place in my heart; Amnesiac was the first album I bought on vinyl, and Radiohead is responsible for getting me into a lot of weirder and more interesting stuff. Sure, they may be "entry level" but they do what they do pretty damn well and I'll give credit where credit is due.

I'd say the closest to "that sound" is probably the national anthem.

TKOL should have just been Bloom as a single with maybe two B sides. It's awfully weak as an album. After the seeming generosity of the In Rainbows release method, TKOL felt like an utterly dickish, inflated cash grab.

IMO of course.

They've probably had their run and should just bow out gracefully. But who does that?

thanks

Exit Music has a similar saw sound on its second half (or is it a guitar?) I'm not too fond of the song at all, though.

TKOL should have just been Bloom as a single with maybe two B sides. It's awfully weak as an album. After the seeming generosity of the In Rainbows release method, TKOL felt like an utterly dickish, inflated cash grab.

IMO of course.

They've probably had their run and should just bow out gracefully. But who does that?

bloom is incredible for sure.

tkol just feels really short but the material that came out of those sessions is awesome. the butcher, supercollider, staircase, give up the ghost, codex, lotus flower and separator are all top notch in my book.

Guest Rulohead32

Where Bluebirds Fly, Worrywort, and I Am Citizen Insane are very IDM trax.

With big synths you have Like Spinning Plates or Exit Music, which has some epic saw synths at the end.

This. Bloom was the only song I kept. Bummer album.

The TKOL songs live were absolutely amazing. The album seemed to be like a collection of early stage demos that was put out, I've grown to enjoy it a bit more but after In Rainbows it is quite a let down.

I think their next album will be great as they have stated regret for TKOL and the new songs they workshopped on the tour were all pretty great.

i really like radiohead. i think York is kind of embarrassing. Suffers from Spinal Tap syndrome, but he can write a decent vocal melody. You either love or hate that voice. Same with Morrisseyi guess

Archived