IGNORED

Why is it cool to hate radiohead?

impakt

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sucks that while Radiohead's sound is always changing and evolving (well not really, but you get my point), Yorke's whiny voice has persisted for 20 years. Try something different already, jeez

One of the things I like the most about Radiohead is Yorke's voice. I like it better when he is doing his low monotone version of it, but then again, I really like his falsetto. I'd say his voice has changed a lot over the years, certainly sounds better than it did on Pablo Honey.

TKOL should have just been Bloom as a single with maybe two B sides. It's awfully weak as an album. After the seeming generosity of the In Rainbows release method, TKOL felt like an utterly dickish, inflated cash grab.

They've probably had their run and should just bow out gracefully. But who does that?

This. Bloom was the only song I kept. Bummer album.

that's crazy talk.

I have high expectations for their next outing, and to answer the myxomatosis guy:

A different version of the song:

So is Radiohead IDM now?

Great track. I'm still bummed missing the last tour.

I think it's mostly because people don't like Thom's face and how he spells his name.

They've probably had their run and should just bow out gracefully. But who does that?

Isis.

*sobs uncontrollably*

not that they even had their run, they probably had fuckloads left in them. fuckloads.

Great track. I'm still bummed missing the last tour.

I saw them in my hometown of Houston! It was awesome. Last I checked, they plan on making plans for the next record sometime during the summer, and they debuted 4 songs/tracks during the last tour in 2012, and it's pretty solid. I imagine they should have AT LEAST 8 songs ready for the album by the time they record next...I know for a fact they have 6. I mean it's been years and Thom claims he writes ton on the guitar still, and that the band translate it if it needs translation, etc. I like all 6 they've shown so far, which isn't the case for their last album, so hopefully it'll be their best yet. Don't tell them I said that though... too much pressure.

Isis.

*sobs uncontrollably*

not that they even had their run, they probably had fuckloads left in them. fuckloads.

agree but it sounds like they didn't get along at all in the end though. apparently Aaron turner thought panopticon was the last Isis record he gave his all to.

Guest murphythecat8

cause its the most overated band of our time?

About 6 years ago, when I was a teenager, I loved radiohead. I went thru a phase of radiohead all the time for 6 month. I grew out of it and now barely listen to them anymore. Ive fallin in love in the time in rainbow got out.

There not bad, but how much they are hyped is ridiculous and make me want to diss them.

BTW I hate their new sound. they have to go back to a ROCK band, not a experiemental electronica hyped bullshit

I've only ever heard 1 radiohead song ever (everything in its right place) and that was a remix by like... James Zabiela or something.

But I'm listening to Kid A on youtube and I can definitely see the appeal. It's much better than like Animal Collective or Battles any of that shit
(and the influence on aforementioned seems obvious). Also I can see the massive influence on more electronic artists like Flying Lotus. Seems to be a weird relationship between Radio Head and electronic acts, the influence seems to go both ways maybe?

I'll have to delve deeper into their catalogue to form an opinion but initial response is it's decent.

I've only ever heard 1 radiohead song ever (everything in its right place) and that was a remix by like... James Zabiela or something.

But I'm listening to Kid A on youtube and I can definitely see the appeal. It's much better than like Animal Collective or Battles any of that shit

(and the influence on aforementioned seems obvious). Also I can see the massive influence on more electronic artists like Flying Lotus. Seems to be a weird relationship between Radio Head and electronic acts, the influence seems to go both ways maybe?

I'll have to delve deeper into their catalogue to form an opinion but initial response is it's decent.

Kid A is pretty much their peak and end for me. I don't much care for Thom Yorke, but that album is fucking brilliant and possibly my favorite album to listen to in fall. Reminds me of tromping around the suburbs of Seattle as a teen and eating/picking mushrooms in the late fall.

His voice gets on my nerves and whenever they pull out the power chords and over-driven guitars I cringe. Happy listening.

About 6 years ago, when I was a teenager, I loved radiohead. I went thru a phase of radiohead all the time for 6 month. I grew out of it and now barely listen to them anymore. Ive fallin in love in the time in rainbow got out.

There not bad, but how much they are hyped is ridiculous and make me want to diss them.

BTW I hate their new sound. they have to go back to a ROCK band, not a experiemental electronica hyped bullshit

what i get from this is that you want to 'diss' them because a lot of people like them

experimental hyped bullshit? if you were a teenager 6 years ago, then it is pretty reasonable to assume that you were a little boy when this band was being influenced by the music you like now. it is ok for you to be influenced by autechre, aphex, box, etc but not someone else? or is it not cool for them because they are popular?

i don't get this type of logic at all.

Yeah maybe they should have quit after Kid A, I liked HTTT too though. But In Rainbows sounded a bit weak, except for Arpeggi. Nowadays they're a bit meh, overproducing every little bit of sound until it sounds clinical as hell

hating radiohead is soooo 2008. now, it's "okay, but still not really kewl" to like em again

no but, really, ive always shared this same frustration as OP.. Radiohead is clearly brilliant and influential beyond words, and has become the standard/flagship example of musical greatness among critics. and i think that's why it's "not cool" to like em.. ya know, cuz they have god-status. so hipster kids roll theyre eyes and say omg gross.. 00verratdddd while deep down in their souls, they have an undeniable burning passion for all things Radiohead... just like me.. and you! :D

It's sorta funny reading what watmm thinks of radiohead though. Everyone pulls out their seasoned veteran idm cards and just dismisses them. They are overrated in a cringeworthy way, but it comes from critics' fetish where they have to canonize and romanticize everything. They thought outside the box and delivered many times though.

Contrary to what many say, ok computer is their undisputed peak and makes kid a look more like a successful experiment, but not the actual pinnacle of the band. I always thought that was a bit of a stretch, kid a being a flawless masterpiece.

Guest Roksen Creek

Is it even possible to be cool anymore in the internet era? Everything is shitted on.

What I like about Radiohead is they do the ghostly, eerie thing really well, especially Kid A and OK Computer. I like Thom's solo(ish) stuff too, Default is an amazing track.

I'm a sucker for melancholic music though, I guess if you're not I can see how you might find it whiny.

Guest murphythecat8

what i get from this is that you want to 'diss' them because a lot of people like them

experimental hyped bullshit? if you were a teenager 6 years ago, then it is pretty reasonable to assume that you were a little boy when this band was being influenced by the music you like now. it is ok for you to be influenced by autechre, aphex, box, etc but not someone else? or is it not cool for them because they are popular?

i don't get this type of logic at all.

no, you dont get what I said.

I diss them because they arent has good as the media promote them. Thats MY opinion only, you can love them all you want, but I dont think they are amazing at all.

Ive listened to king of limbs yesterday, and seriously, all the songs are alike and I couldnt care less for the melodies. what made radiohead relatively good before is now gone. Its all about thom voice which is good but also overated. His voice wasnt the band, but now its pretty much the whole band. Where is the rock band. Even kid a is experiemental but rock. Now its some kind of electronica that sounds totally pretentious, with thom york and his egomaniac dance. Ive then listened to in rainbows and I dont know, but your all I need or house of cards doesnt affect me like it did before. It even sounds cliché to me.

I'm really happy for anyone being popular, what I dont like is their cult status, almost as if its THE band of the 90 and 00s and to this, I disagree big time.

Archived