IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

Guest extridium

tracks like "maetl" and "autriche" laid down the template for their obscure track titles which they never abandoned (over their career listeners have been faced with puzzling gems such as "bine," "yulquen," "liccflii," "wtf," "lol," and "omgwearel33thax0rs.")

hahaha. very good.

"lol"

Guest AlanMcB

Has anyone else not received their copy of oversteps in the post yet from bleep?

I've been waiting for a week since it's release and I'm starting to get worried.

Should I contact them about it or should I be patient?

"draft 73" (the inspiration for prefuse 73's nom de plume) was unlistenable,

rofl

but so was "confield" which is all algorithms on max/msp which generates all the tracks, they just press space bar.

ahahahahahah!!

thanks so amplifiers somehow improve sound quality and not just amplify i guess. i'll have to get one.

I've never got this either, are headphone amps like £300 speaker cables, like they're meant to be all fancy pants and make things sound brilliant but just make things louder ?

Has anyone else not received their copy of oversteps in the post yet from bleep?

I've been waiting for a week since it's release and I'm starting to get worried.

Should I contact them about it or should I be patient?

I'm still waiting for my vinyl boxed set thing. I contacted Bleep and they told me to contact them again tomorrow (Thursday 1st) as it's 14 days after they dispatched the Oversteps packages. You should probably do the same tomorrow. If people are getting them in America, then we should already have them by now...

Guest somebloke

Holy christ, oversteps just partially connected with me.

This CD totally freaking kicks arse.

Though known(1)... seriously.... known(1).... seriously... wtf??

Guest victorian sewer rituals

i don't know if i donwloaded the real version or not but it's kind of lame on the first go.

It thinks you're lame too.

Edited by victorian sewer rituals

somebloke isn't exactly alone regarding known(1). I lent Oversteps to a guitarist who likes lots of music but is really just beginning in the stranger ends of the electronic universe. He said the album was excellent, but he couldn't believe that third track was made by the same people who did all the rest of the tracks and he said he hated it. But he is basically converted! A new Autechre fan... I had already lent him Draft 7.30 before and it blew him away.

I think it's a myth that you have to start people not into this stuff on Autechre's earliest albums. It may be true in some cases, like if the people in question have dabbled in chillout or trip hop or lighter forms of electronica or whatever, but I've found that if someone is serious about, say classical or jazz or post rock or even just guitar music, giving them something hard hitting and unapologetically alien first off can work wonders. If I'd lent certain people (like this guy) the first three albums instead of Draft or Untilted or even Quaristice, I don't think they'd have ended up fans.

I think Oversteps is a beautiful record, but I wouldn't use it to introduce someone to Autechre. It's a little delicate and soft for that, and its depth or complexity isn't particularly in your face (though it is there.)

I think it's a myth that you have to start people not into this stuff on Autechre's earliest albums.

Agreed.. it depends on the person.. if I still had similar tastes in music to what I have today and someone lent me Autechre's earliest releases, I probably wouldn't be too blown away, would just have the nostalgia bone tickled a bit.

It depends, for my friends who listen to hours of manufacturer's synth presets ahem boring trance i've passed autechre's earlier releases as they are more melodic (and trance-inducing), even though it's still kind of pointless.. old autechre is still waaay too subtle and goes whooosh

somebloke isn't exactly alone regarding known(1). I lent Oversteps to a guitarist who likes lots of music but is really just beginning in the stranger ends of the electronic universe. He said the album was excellent, but he couldn't believe that third track was made by the same people who did all the rest of the tracks and he said he hated it. But he is basically converted! A new Autechre fan... I had already lent him Draft 7.30 before and it blew him away.

I think it's a myth that you have to start people not into this stuff on Autechre's earliest albums. It may be true in some cases, like if the people in question have dabbled in chillout or trip hop or lighter forms of electronica or whatever, but I've found that if someone is serious about, say classical or jazz or post rock or even just guitar music, giving them something hard hitting and unapologetically alien first off can work wonders. If I'd lent certain people (like this guy) the first three albums instead of Draft or Untilted or even Quaristice, I don't think they'd have ended up fans.

I think Oversteps is a beautiful record, but I wouldn't use it to introduce someone to Autechre. It's a little delicate and soft for that, and its depth or complexity isn't particularly in your face (though it is there.)

It's very true, I have a good friend who listens mostly to oldschool rap and hip-hop and for a while I've tried to get him into Ae's more accessible albums to no avail. One day I put Confield on just to see how he reacted and he thoroughly enjoyed it. He has even asked if we can put it on from time to time when we're out in the car. Strange but true.

Guest extridium

i normally use Confield for that...it's just their most abstract album imho (apart from their contribution on the hafler trio albums)

Guest theSun

well technically the guitar (?) parts on known1 are quite easy. i see more percussion in them now though.

and that top part glitchy part is totally meant to come together in your mind after a few listens. it's quite a nice melody i'd say.

Oversteps vinyl boxed set attempt #2 is now on its way over to me from Bleep.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some twat pulling random Bleep (and other such) packages off the conveyors at some Royal Mail sorting office somewhere around London/wherever. Seeing as the Quaristice special editions went for so much on eBay last time, it only takes one fairly uneducated Warp "fan" to nab the right sized parcels off the belts to sell them at a later date, yet not knowing that this time the special edition isn't so limited, if at all.

Guest bardamu

yeah, the glitchy melody of known(1) is soooooooo beautiful! as are many of the other intersecting melodies. re complexity/simplicity... i think beauty is its own justification

Guest extridium

yeah, the glitchy melody of known(1) is soooooooo beautiful! as are many of the other intersecting melodies. re complexity/simplicity... i think beauty is its own justification

that glitchy thingy is certainly beautiful and it's taking away the "midi" feel of this track. I really think it's a great track, but the first time i heard this track, i thought it was some kind of cheapo "general midi" based fuck up. now i can understand it's place on the album. i love it.

i also love the end of the track and how it's dissolving into pt2ph8 (also a very nice track)

Edited by extridium