IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

Just got my vinyl and CD copies from Bleep (i'm in San Francisco).

The artwork is amazing and i love the dayglo yellow on the inside of all the sleeves which gets me high when i shove my head into the sleeve and take a few good hard huffs.

I feel like the digital/online version of the artwork doesn't come across as being the complete thing, you kinda have to see the transparency of the sleeves in person to understand it.

Either way, good shit.

The artwork is amazing and i love the dayglo yellow on the inside of all the sleeves which gets me high when i shove my head into the sleeve and take a few good hard huffs.

I feel like the digital/online version of the artwork doesn't come across as being the complete thing, you kinda have to see the transparency of the sleeves in person to understand it.

Either way, good shit.

green

Either way, good shit.

green

Pedant.

:D

Either way, good shit.

green

Pedant.

:D

:cisfor:

Guest kelvanE

oversteps is a work of art. i must add i love how the CD packaging is so minimal, and just my love for how Ae over the long years have always been about the music, and give no explanation or suggestion about their music so they remain a pure, cathartic string of pieces.

Edited by kelvanE

yeah good to see designers republic are still up to their same old tricks, ie. "Warp logo" etc.

if this were my design, the black circles would be really really black and i would have maybe done a spot uv on the type. the black circles seem faded.

Guest ezkerraldean

only just got my greasy mitts on a hard copy. listened to it last night, reminds me of quinoline yellow

Guest kelvanE

i got the autechre fever again. half the songs i listen to are Oversteps, the other half are from their back-cat. :nacmat:

Guest kelvanE

hi i have a slightly unrelated question that I thought may be applicable in this setting:

i am thinking of getting a pair of Denon AH -D2000 headphones. my current headphones are Audio-Technica ATH-AD700. i love my current ones, have had them for a couple years now, but aren't the optimum for electronic music. to my ears they sound excellent, but i imagine i can do better...

my specific question is actually about headphone amplifiers. do they improve the sound quality a lot? right now i have NO problem whatsoever with getting enough loudness into my headphones, i have my powerbook g4 set at 5 white squares, and the iTunes dial set only 3/4 of the way.

i couldn't find any clear answer after searching online for 30min. if i'm looking to improve sound quality, not AMPLIFY exactly, should I still definitely invest??

Edited by kelvanE

i am not sure about your question. of course the sound of Laptop/iphone> amplifier > headphones will be better than just laptop > headphones.

i have some great headphones & always plug them to the main amplifier but i've heard about specifics headphones amplifiers.200774758430.jpg

yeah headphone amps are the shit. i can't afford one though so i just use a 70s kenwood amp with my alessandro ms-1s. good enough for octagons!

Guest ezkerraldean

i got the autechre fever again.

i'd see someone about that, it's a serious condition and can induce cranial haemorrhaging

Guest kelvanE

i am not sure about your question. of course the sound of Laptop/iphone> amplifier > headphones will be better than just laptop > headphones.

i have some great headphones & always plug them to the main amplifier but i've heard about specifics headphones amplifiers.

thanks so amplifiers somehow improve sound quality and not just amplify i guess. i'll have to get one.

in the early 90s sean booth and rob brown met through a mutual friend. setting aside their bmx bikes and spray paint canisters (you can still see "sean was here" graffiti-ed on walls across manchester's seedier parts) they began making mix-tapes, finding that they loved the same tunes although sean was more into the acid bits while rob leaned more towards sound design. at one point they broke a friend's kit. they quickly introduced roland tr606 and roland juno106 into their mixes and by the time they got their first roland mc202 you couldn't tell what parts of the mix were booth/brown and what parts were the original. after signing on warp they put out "incunabula" a melodic ambient record that was weirder and less hardcore than their debut "cavity job." tracks like "maetl" and "autriche" laid down the template for their obscure track titles which they never abandoned (over their career listeners have been faced with puzzling gems such as "bine," "yulquen," "liccflii," "wtf," "lol," and "omgwearel33thax0rs.") by the time they put out "chiastic slide" in the late 70s they had already begun to polarize their fans into two separate groups: those who liked the more melodic, ambient autechre and those who were into the more drill n baths style with the fucked up beats. sean said they did a bunch of mushrooms. then lp5 came out and people were like "jesus, wut?" this changed music forever. "draft 73" (the inspiration for prefuse 73's nom de plume) was unlistenable, but so was "confield" which is all algorithms on max/msp which generates all the tracks, they just press space bar. sean gets completely pissed when blokes come up to him at the bars and show him max patches they made on their laptops. richard d james likes "confield" but thinks the rest of their shit is quite daft really. always controversial autechre plays their more danceable shows with the lights off. in america the crowds just stroke their beards and adjust their glasses but in the UK they go nuts on the dance floor. "quaristice" came out in a bunch of different versions, one of which was limited to 1 copies and sold out in 7 months. it's basically just a compilation of live tracks b/c their studios weren't set up b/c they were moving out of their parent's house (they are brothers). "oversteps" is a return to form, basically a re-hashing of "incunabula" but with computers.

in the early 90s sean booth and rob brown met through a mutual friend. setting aside their bmx bikes and spray paint canisters (you can still see "sean was here" graffiti-ed on walls across manchester's seedier parts) they began making mix-tapes, finding that they loved the same tunes although sean was more into the acid bits while rob leaned more towards sound design. at one point they broke a friend's kit. they quickly introduced roland tr606 and roland juno106 into their mixes and by the time they got their first roland mc202 you couldn't tell what parts of the mix were booth/brown and what parts were the original. after signing on warp they put out "incunabula" a melodic ambient record that was weirder and less hardcore than their debut "cavity job." tracks like "maetl" and "autriche" laid down the template for their obscure track titles which they never abandoned (over their career listeners have been faced with puzzling gems such as "bine," "yulquen," "liccflii," "wtf," "lol," and "omgwearel33thax0rs.") by the time they put out "chiastic slide" in the late 70s they had already begun to polarize their fans into two separate groups: those who liked the more melodic, ambient autechre and those who were into the more drill n baths style with the fucked up beats. sean said they did a bunch of mushrooms. then lp5 came out and people were like "jesus, wut?" this changed music forever. "draft 73" (the inspiration for prefuse 73's nom de plume) was unlistenable, but so was "confield" which is all algorithms on max/msp which generates all the tracks, they just press space bar. sean gets completely pissed when blokes come up to him at the bars and show him max patches they made on their laptops. richard d james likes "confield" but thinks the rest of their shit is quite daft really. always controversial autechre plays their more danceable shows with the lights off. in america the crowds just stroke their beards and adjust their glasses but in the UK they go nuts on the dance floor. "quaristice" came out in a bunch of different versions, one of which was limited to 1 copies and sold out in 7 months. it's basically just a compilation of live tracks b/c their studios weren't set up b/c they were moving out of their parent's house (they are brothers). "oversteps" is a return to form, basically a re-hashing of "incunabula" but with computers.

lots of wrong information there.

also oversteps is incunabula but with computers? lol!

Guest theSun

lots of wrong information there.

also oversteps is incunabula but with computers? lol!

haha i couldn't imagine a funnier response.

cheers to alco's writing chops.

Guest victorian sewer rituals

This is going to confuse some people. Excellent work.

tracks like "maetl" and "autriche" laid down the template for their obscure track titles which they never abandoned (over their career listeners have been faced with puzzling gems such as "bine," "yulquen," "liccflii," "wtf," "lol," and "omgwearel33thax0rs.")

hahaha. very good.