IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

d sho qub was an early favorite, but now, it stands as almost my LEAST favorite track. While all the other tracks have 'clicked' on a deeper level for me, this remains a bit cheesy. Can someone enlighten me as to what they love about the qub?

The beat is fat and danceable, but the sounds are really alien and fucked. It's like a strange juxtaposition of almost mainstream dance music with Confield-style weirdness. The warm warbling sounds sort of envelop you like hot water.

Also the melody is very reminiscent of Perlence.

Guest extridium

autechre just blew me away yesterday...the set was unbelieveable...we enjoyed the sounds and nifty beats with some of the biggest basses i've ever heard! Really great set!

Guest kelvanE

I'd recommend an external DAC instead of an amp for improving low-impedance phones. Even my cheap Hot Audio USB DAC greatly improved the clarity and detail for my HD555 vs having them plugged into the laptop's onboard sound. I now have HD650s and an amp, but the DAC + HD555 served me very well for years, and I'd still say that setup is 80% as good as the HD650 + amp, which cost about 5x more.

yes! my Denon D2000s are so close I can smell them. They're departed from Buffalo at 11:20pm last night, so definitely by Monday I'll get them, maybe today. After doing more and more research (you really need to with AMP/DAC), i finally understand what everything does, and the products available.

yea i definitley need a low impedance USB DAC, good call. i was looking at either Practical Devices XM4 or iBasso D10 Cobra (both good with D2000s according to Head Fi.org)...

Guest extridium

^ i gotta see them. come to NY autechre.

oef, that must be hard! They were awesome...really drum based...i loved it, because i love strange beats

ALRIGHT! After weeks of setbacks, I'm finally holding a copy of Oversteps in my hands! :yeah:

So far I've given it one complete listen, and known(1) is immediately my favourite track. Overall I think the album is OK, but I'll probably grow to love it more over time. More opinions will develop soon.

It really is a grower. I too thought its was OK but not great on the first few listens but a couple of months down the line it's probably my favourite Ae album. Probably.

Guest extridium

It really is a grower. I too thought its was OK but not great on the first few listens but a couple of months down the line it's probably my favourite Ae album. Probably.

I agree...when i first heard it, i was really scratching my self behind my ears. Like, euhhhmmm....what is this. I gave it another try (as usual, it's ae) and the album begun to melt with my

senses. It is a great production.

I agree...when i first heard it, i was really scratching my self behind my ears. Like, euhhhmmm....what is this. I gave it another try (as usual, it's ae) and the album begun to melt with my

senses. It is a great production.

Yeah, a couple of months down the line and I'm loving Oversteps more than ever, certainly has grown on me more and more, so many good moments throughout the album! The only track I struggle with a little is krylon, I find it to be about 3 minutes too long, but maybe it will click one day. Either way, doesn't take away from the fact that this is a quality album. It has swept me back into Autechre's universe :beer:

Guest kelvanE

holy fuck. i am just now listening to 'Oversteps' on my brand-spaking new, out-of-the box D2000s. the sounds are pleasantly (faithfully) reproduced much better than my ATH-AD700s. some are excellently abrasive/harsh, while some of the softer/sweeter melodic lines take on a kinder lull.

the sound separation and overall sound quality is superb.

(P.S.: these are playing straight out of my Powerbook G4, i orgasm at the thought of out of a USB DAC) =).

god i love r ess. i've said it before a few zillion pages back, but now i'm gonna say it again.

other highlights of the album:

ilanders

known(1)

pt2ph8

qplay

see on see

Treale

os veix3

O=0

d-sho qub

st epreo

redfall

krYlon

Yuop

autechre just blew me away yesterday...the set was unbelieveable...we enjoyed the sounds and nifty beats with some of the biggest basses i've ever heard! Really great set!

love de melkweg, great venue

god i love r ess. i've said it before a few zillion pages back, but now i'm gonna say it again.

ilanders

known(1)

pt2ph8

qplay

see on see

Treale

os veix3

O=0

d-sho qub

st epreo

redfall

krYlon

Yuop

nailed it.

I'd recommend an external DAC instead of an amp for improving low-impedance phones. Even my cheap Hot Audio USB DAC greatly improved the clarity and detail for my HD555 vs having them plugged into the laptop's onboard sound. I now have HD650s and an amp, but the DAC + HD555 served me very well for years, and I'd still say that setup is 80% as good as the HD650 + amp, which cost about 5x more.

yes! my Denon D2000s are so close I can smell them. They're departed from Buffalo at 11:20pm last night, so definitely by Monday I'll get them, maybe today. After doing more and more research (you really need to with AMP/DAC), i finally understand what everything does, and the products available.

yea i definitley need a low impedance USB DAC, good call. i was looking at either Practical Devices XM4 or iBasso D10 Cobra (both good with D2000s according to Head Fi.org)...

Yeah, DACs are a Good Idea. I use an Apogee Duet, which is an extremely good DAC (and is also a really nice I/O for recording). And the headphone-out stage is good enough to drive something like HD650s. If you have a Mac, I can't recommend the Duet enough, both for sound quality and versatility.

lol. But my friend also has some Apogee stuff and he's a big fag. So YMMV. True Story.

edit: my "friend"

Edited by baph

Guest extridium

it is, and the sound was very clear, rich and full with all fequencies...it was just great.

Edited by extridium

ilanders

known(1)

pt2ph8

see on see

Treale

os veix3

O=0

d-sho qub

redfall

Yuop

Fixed.

Guest kelvanE

Yeah, DACs are a Good Idea. I use an Apogee Duet, which is an extremely good DAC (and is also a really nice I/O for recording). And the headphone-out stage is good enough to drive something like HD650s. If you have a Mac, I can't recommend the Duet enough, both for sound quality and versatility.

yea i have a powerbook g4 mac. the sound quality is poor with a mac? i am looking for a home USB DAC or AMP, so their portability does not even factor.

i have some left over money from the tax return and i wanna use some of it.

Well, the Apogee Duet works only with Macs. I think it works with the powerbook G4, but you might want to check. It's firewire 400, not USB (firewire 400 is a lot nicer for actually recording tracks than USB 2, IMO, if you ever plan on recording with it). It's portable, but it has a really simple, clean interface, and the sound quality is extremely good. I think you can be happy with one of those without getting a dedicated headamp, unless you have ridiculously hard to drive headphones.

You can probably find one for around $400, which is maybe a little high, but Apogee's DACs are really incredible. They're intended for studio use and are very clean. And since the Duet is marketed at small studios and mobile musicians rather than money-burning audiophiles, it's priced really well for what it is.

There are plenty of reviews on the Duet on head-fi, so maybe see if it looks good to you. I love mine, obviously, but at the very least it's worth thinking about.

Edit: from Apogee's website, the sys requirements are

Computer: Mac G4 1GHz or faster, G5 or Intel CPU

Memory: 1 GB RAM minimum, 2 GB recommended

Connection: FireWire 400 port

Sorry if I sound like a shill. This little thing has kept me happy for a few years now without feeling the need to throw more money at audio equipment, is all.

I like oversteps.

Edited by baph

Have to say, I'm really digging Krylon at the mo. Don't really get why people feel it's "noodly"....i mean, it is, but no more than about 75% of the tracks on the album.

I actually really like Krylon, and I like it more than See on See. But the aesthetic/composition of the two tracks is similar enough that Krylon just drags down the final portion of the album for me.

it is, and the sound was very clear, rich and full with all fequencies...it was just great.

i can attest to that, in my misspent youth i went to a lot of filthy acid techno things there :aphexsign:

so many sunday mornings spent waiting for a bus to take me home.

tried to cycle it home (to s. amstelveen) once, would not recommend.

Edited by kaini

Guest extridium

i can attest to that, in my misspent youth i went to a lot of filthy acid techno things there :aphexsign:

so many sunday mornings spent waiting for a bus to take me home.

tried to cycle it home (to s. amstelveen) once, would not recommend.

Edited by extridium