IGNORED

Ae as used in the media

Dragon

So I was watching The Secret Life Of Chaos on BBC4 (it's half way through as I type this), and I was astonished to hear VI Scose Poise briefly being used in the background. Isn't it so rare that an obscure band like Autechre would be used on such a high-profile TV channel? But it gets even more awesome. Later on, plyPhon is used for a few seconds. And, immediately after, I shit you not, Perlence Suns can be heard. That's right, the download-only track exclusive to bleep.com is being used on BBC4.

I am absolutely flabbergasted. It's still on, and I'll watch it through to see if there's any more Ae used. There could well be more tracks that I missed though, I wasn't paying much attention. The Secret Life Of Chaos is a great documentary as it is, and can be viewed for free on the BBC's iPlayer service here.

Update: Towards the end of the documentary, a good portion of Leterel could be heard. And as long as I'm here, I might as well tell you all about Foil being used near the ending of yet another BBC documentary, this time about guns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp0WTLtr-b4

(scroll to 5:39)

Guest robT789

i was watching CSI the other day i cant remember which one it might have been New York or Miami. But i heard a song from the new quarstice album. quite unexpected... but nice...

• 5 weeks later...

Update: Towards the end of the documentary, a good portion of Leterel could be heard. And as long as I'm here, I might as well tell you all about Foil being used near the ending of yet another BBC documentary, this time about guns:

Ah! Pardon me if this is blasphemy not to know, but what is the track starting behind the montage at 2:37. I know that I know it but can't find it at the moment; aphex/selected ambient, yes?

I am absolutely flabbergasted. It's still on, and I'll watch it through to see if there's any more Ae used. There could well be more tracks that I missed though, I wasn't paying much attention. The Secret Life Of Chaos is a great documentary as it is, and can be viewed for free on the BBC's iPlayer service here.

Altibzz :)

Guest Aeriform

Ah! Pardon me if this is blasphemy not to know, but what is the track starting behind the montage at 2:37. I know that I know it but can't find it at the moment; aphex/selected ambient, yes?

It's Quino-Phec by Polygon Window from Surfing On Sine Waves. Same ship, different funnel ;)

On a regional BBC magazine programme (Inside Out?) a few years ago, something or other by BoC was used along with two lots of Overand.

Edit: all in the same edition.

Plus I think Altibzz or something cropped up in Top Gear a little bit ago. Not sure though, I don't really watch Top Gear and it was on in the background.

Guest Greg Reason

Soundtrack to the movie Pi. Also I saw British filmmaker Peter Greenaway do his live Tulse Luper VJ performance, which he presents by sending images to "as many screens as can be provided" via a gigantic touchscreen (seven screens in this case) with music provided by two Dutch DJs, who managed to drop a few cuts from Quaristice into the mix, along with some DJ Shadow (from Endtroducing) and various other electronic bits and pieces.

But perhaps the most surprising ae moment for me was when I was about to cross a giant intersection in Tokyo in '08 and all of a sudden Gantz graf starts blasting out of the pa, the video projected from a fuck-off big screen hanging above the intersection. It was an ad for their upcoming show at the Liquid Room and I was well impressed to see literally thousands of Japanese people going about their business as ae hammered down on them from above. Glorious!

But perhaps the most surprising ae moment for me was when I was about to cross a giant intersection in Tokyo in '08 and all of a sudden Gantz graf starts blasting out of the pa, the video projected from a fuck-off big screen hanging above the intersection. It was an ad for their upcoming show at the Liquid Room and I was well impressed to see literally thousands of Japanese people going about their business as ae hammered down on them from above. Glorious!

Holy fuck, in the future this is how every intersection in every city should be.

I'm 90-ish% convinced (it was many years ago when I last saw it) that this advert - http://www.visit4info.com/advert/St-Ivel-Gold-St-Ivel-Margarines/12414 has an 'unreleased' version of Autechre's Yulquen in it. Can anyone much better at internets than I get the advert without coughing up the '£5 a month for at least 3 months' fee they charge to watch it...

Holy fuck, in the future this is how every intersection in every city should be.

it already is. mindfuck.

edit: in the future, that is

it already is. mindfuck.

edit: in the future, that is

what a twist!

ooh I see what you did there

not even sure if i see what i did there haha

are you in the future now? are there hoverboards?

no, no hoverboards yet, perhaps i'm not far enough in the future, though. i can say this: in the future we will all make some very interesting, albeit questionable, footwear choices.

will report from farther into the future as soon (or, wait, as late) as i can.

• 10 months later...

I was just flicking through the channels, and I put BBC Two on just as a trailer was ending. I saw less than a second of it, and I thought I could hear 'Rotar'. Can anyone confirm this?

bbc uses heaps of warp tunes. like top gear, nearly every episode has a boc/afx/ae track in it somewhere. Is there one sound guy for all of the bbc?

Also I'm sorry to say but I think this thread has been done countless times before.

warp struck an agreement with the bbc about ten years ago which i'm fairly sure involved licensing almost the entire catalogue.

Archived