IGNORED

Oversteps Tour

Blir

just out of curiosity, what are the crowds like at ae gigs? The Brighton date next month will be my first ae gig and I have no idea how the crowd reacts to ae's music in a dark room. I'm guessing people just stand still and take in the music :sleep:

Everyone will be looking at you and judging you. They want to know how long you have listened to ae. Can you recognize lcc in the opening 3 seconds? Do you have vinyl? Can you hear over 20000 hz? Can you tell the difference between 16 and 24 bit?why do you have a beard ? to scratch? Why don't you have a beard? Why would you be wearing plaid? Just wear a watmm shirt and tell people you know why Clark is in a wheelchair and you'll be fine.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just out of curiosity, what are the crowds like at ae gigs? The Brighton date next month will be my first ae gig and I have no idea how the crowd reacts to ae's music in a dark room. I'm guessing people just stand still and take in the music :sleep:

Weird. The first Ae gig I went to a couple of years back on the Quari tour was odd - most of the audience sparked up on weed and thus began to oscillate slowly back and forth for the remainder of the show. There were a few people like myself really getting into it and shouting "woop" whenever anything happened. I totally lost it in two of the breakdowns. The rest of the audience just stood stroking non-existant beards going "hmmm".

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone will be looking at you and judging you. They want to know how long you have listened to ae. Can you recognize lcc in the opening 3 seconds? Do you have vinyl? Can you hear over 20000 hz? Can you tell the difference between 16 and 24 bit?why do you have a beard ? to scratch? Why don't you have a beard? Why would you be wearing plaid? Just wear a watmm shirt and tell people you know why Clark is in a wheelchair and you'll be fine.

yes, yes, yes, yes, have one, i do scratch it, have one, cotton shirts are comfortable, and wearing a watmm shirt would be like putting a sheep in a den of wolves

Guest soldersplash

Anyone planning on going to the Ae gig at Stealth in Nottingham a week today? I am lead to believe the sound system in there is f'ing awesome! :crazy:

I went to the Toronto gig 2 years ago.

The crowd was made mostly of white males aged 20-30, who were standing, spaced evenly, with their arms outstretched and heads pointing up taking in the music. One guy I saw brought his girlfriend and she brought him drinks every now and then. This other guy had a greasy black neck-beard, and yelled "tri repetae" in the first pause. It looked like about 5 people were dancing.

In conclusion, the crowd was weird, but it didn't matter because the music was wicked.

Quaristice tour Belgium had loads of people dancing if I remember correctly. Very enthusiastic crowd. Including a few over the top guys that were screaming and yelling all the time. :dry: But yeah varied crowd.

Hope they stick to their no lights principle. Less talking and more people dancing to Autechre in their own weird way.

Guest MastaN8

I've seen em twice. I like to go for the jesus christ pose high on synthetic drugs...Just let the sounds flow through your body and mind, your body will act accordingly. And yes everyone will be staring directly at you, Rob and Sean usually break out a flashlight during the set and point it randomly at one person for like a min. or two while everyone has a laugh at their expense.

I've seen em twice. I like to go for the jesus christ pose high on synthetic drugs...Just let the sounds flow through your body and mind, your body will act accordingly. And yes everyone will be staring directly at you, Rob and Sean usually break out a flashlight during the set and point it randomly at one person for like a min. or two while everyone has a laugh at their expense.

that explains your current avatar, too.

WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO ANNOUNCE N AMERICA DATES?

THEY'RE NOT! HAHAHAHAHAHA

(Seriously though, that sucks)

Hope they stick to their no lights principle. Less talking and more people dancing to Autechre in their own weird way.

Hah, that is such a funny description, but I cant really see it going down any other way. I WANT US DATES!!

Does anybody know if the California dates on their last tour were 21+?? Because their Seattle show was 21+ and that SLAYS me, I have to see them. I'm about 3 hours from SF and LA and would go to a show at either..

Hah, that is such a funny description, but I cant really see it going down any other way. I WANT US DATES!!

Does anybody know if the California dates on their last tour were 21+?? Because their Seattle show was 21+ and that SLAYS me, I have to see them. I'm about 3 hours from SF and LA and would go to a show at either..

an all-ages autechre show in seattle? i'd be throwing emo kids out throughout the set... :facepalm:

an all-ages autechre show in seattle? i'd be throwing emo kids out throughout the set... :facepalm:

Emo kids at an Ae show? :emotawesomepm9:

I highly doubt an autechre show would have a problem with emo kids. And are you saying playing an all ages show would make it worse less mature? I'm 20.. and it would be so fucked up if they came here but I couldn't go because of that stupid shit. 21+ shows have been the bane of my existence in the last year, prevented me from seeing Amon Tobin, Moderat, among others. :wtf:

And do you work at Neumos? Fun venue.. besides all the 21+ bullshit that is.

Guest HWNDarkside

Birmingham was awesome! The sound system was lovely and Autechre's set mashed my braincells :diablo:

I was one of the few dancing though - at least 75% were stood still :facepalm:

I've got a recording - will try and clean it up (it's all bass ATM hahahahaha) and post it up.

Holy jesus christ was Birmingham bassy. Again, why do so few people dance at Ae gigs? If people are wondering time-table wise, Birmingham went like this:

9:00 - 11:00 - Rob Hall

11:00 - 11:30 - Russell Haswell

11:30 - 12:00 - Rob Hall

12:00 - 1:00 - Autechre

1:00 - 2:00 - Didjit

Here's a little round-up:

Rob Hall - Brilliant as usual. Dropping LFO's Freak really got me properly excited for Ae's set.

Russell Haswell - I get it now!!! This is a total audiovisual assault (he's got the laser display on show with him that he used for those Haswell/Hecker UPIC gigs) and seemed to fly by time-wise. I expected to be bored out of my head but it was actually really cool. That performance has changed my perception of that kind of noise music to a degree. Expect immense low frequencies, painful highs and "OMG COOL" lasers.

Autechre - Holy shit. The set starts with the biggest "kick snare kick snare" thing I've ever heard after Booth & Brown set up their laptops in North Face attire. Real simple rhythm to start with, but massive sound. Seems to be a bit of a "fuck off" to everyone who says their stuff isn't danceable or anything like that. It became more and more complex throughout, before ending on a similar beat to the intro (almost a "circular narrative") which B&B just ended the set on. This was different to the Manchester set - the beat just stopped, followed by silence, followed by cheering audience, whereas the Manchester recording has all that weird sound design stuff at the end. I'd describe the set as a cross between the Untilted/Quaristice tour sets and the older Confield ones, which makes perfect sense seeing as they've effectively merged the two equipment set-ups of those tours. I gotta say the only disappointment with their set was the sound, which I found last time, was simply too bassy/too loud. You can't hear many of the highs at all. I tried moving around the venue, and it seems the closer to the PA you are the better (which does make sense, but don't expect to hear much the morning after). I really really want to hear a clear recording of the new set, preferably soundboard. I've heard bits of the Manchester one but there's so much distortion from that immense bass. They seem almost to be forcing people to give up the bootlegging by pumping all the lows so loud. I found at one point in the show it was physcially difficult to keep balance. Music that does that to you is fucking awesome.

Oh and Autechre now have interpretive dancing fans. No fucking joke.

Didjit - Didn't stay for his set but seems to just be another DJ. He was playing old-school hip hop stuff when we left.

Merch - Quite a few different T-shirt designs including a black-dot on white shirt, black shirt with glossy black "Autechre" and "Oversteps" text, and another white shirt that I believe just says "Autechre" and "Oversteps" similar to the black one. Russell Haswell is selling a pre-release double album for £20 - some of you may be interested.

Archived