IGNORED

Known (1)

Guest the anonymous forumite

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest symbioid

Funny, cuz this is actually my favorite track on it! And also funny someone else said that hated O=0 in this thread, and that's another one I listed as one of my faves off the album so far.

Even though I've grown more accepting of this piece of music, I still find it's placement on the album a little odd. The opening two tracks send me into a heavenly widescreen sci-fi stratosphere, and then this dry deranged little piece comes in loud, bright and bold, for quite a long time. It's almost like a loud, annoying fat guy at a gathering bursting into a rather intimate conversation between two people. Or something.

But this one really did suffer sound wise on the leak. I like it more now at high quality. I just don't think it particularly fits the album.

i think it makes perfect sense where it is on this album. it's like a palate-cleanser between the first section and the second.

I would say its more of a palate-scraper, and pt2ph8 is the cleanser.

yeah, well you're a big ol fag :trashbear: :trashbear: :trashbear:

the lead synth on this track is one of the most 'emotional' sounding things autechre has ever done. that synth sounds like it's really crying it's little digital heart out. really nice sound, actually. it's the rest of the stuff happening in the track that is the problem. really preset, cheap videogame sounding synth tones and melodies.

if they had kept that lead sound, and just had some sort of drone (or even gasp! a beat!!) in the background - then this track would have been a lot better.

the lead synth on this track is one of the most 'emotional' sounding things autechre has ever done. that synth sounds like it's really crying it's little digital heart out. really nice sound, actually.

i agree with this

Guest Greg Reason

the lead synth on this track is one of the most 'emotional' sounding things autechre has ever done. that synth sounds like it's really crying it's little digital heart out. really nice sound, actually. it's the rest of the stuff happening in the track that is the problem. really preset, cheap videogame sounding synth tones and melodies.

if they had kept that lead sound, and just had some sort of drone (or even gasp! a beat!!) in the background - then this track would have been a lot better.

I think it's the juxtaposition that makes the lead synth seem all the more emotive. Put that against a more "proper" backing track and it would take away from what's being achieved here. I don't mean to keep bringing Coil up but you really have to get what they do to see what's going on here. It's supposed to be really cheap sounding. It makes you cringe, yeah? That's the idea.

as much as i like Coil, i was just listening to Gold is the metal the other day on CD and realizing how bad it is and fuck if its not one ofthe most cringe worthy electronic albums ever made

i never really got into coil, i could never tell if they were serious or not. though i only heard love's secret domain.

I think it's the juxtaposition that makes the lead synth seem all the more emotive. Put that against a more "proper" backing track and it would take away from what's being achieved here. I don't mean to keep bringing Coil up but you really have to get what they do to see what's going on here. It's supposed to be really cheap sounding. It makes you cringe, yeah? That's the idea.

hmm. interesting idea and i get what your saying but i don't think that's the case here. while i really don't like the backing synths on this track, i don't think they sound crappy enough to say that autechre made them intentionally sound bad. they would have been much worse sounding if that was the case. plus i just don't think sean & rob would do something like that - they don't really intellectualize their music like that and get all post modern about it, imo. when it comes to making tracks they just... do it. aphex is more the prankster type.

Guest Greg Reason

as much as i like Coil, i was just listening to Gold is the metal the other day on CD and realizing how bad it is and fuck if its not one ofthe most cringe worthy electronic albums ever made

i never really got into coil, i could never tell if they were serious or not. though i only heard love's secret domain.

You've only heard Love's Secret Domain!?!?

You need to get Astral Disaster, The Remote Viewer (get the Threshold House edition), Black Antlers and Constant Shallowness Leads to Evil. All very different and all equally essential.

Love's Secret Domain is great and all but it sort of is a joke. They were impersonating/reinterpreting Rave culture, which they did get into to some extent but they also found it to be pretty amusing. But yeah 'Chaostrophy' along makes that record worth having. I tend to go for later (post-pseudonym) Coil a little more though. Once they experimented with all the different stuff (Elph, Black Light District, Eskaton, Time Machines) they sort of found themselves and were pretty much on top of their game for ever after (Backwards excepted, but that was never properly finished)

As for Gold is the Metal... I love some of it and I find some of it to be a bit meh. But it is outtakes and was only really issued to get them some money after Some Bizzarre stooged them thousands of pounds so all things considered it's a lot better than we could have expected :)

You've only heard Love's Secret Domain!?!?

You need to get Astral Disaster, The Remote Viewer (get the Threshold House edition), Black Antlers and Constant Shallowness Leads to Evil. All very different and all equally essential.

Love's Secret Domain is great and all but it sort of is a joke. They were impersonating/reinterpreting Rave culture, which they did get into to some extent but they also found it to be pretty amusing. But yeah 'Chaostrophy' along makes that record worth having. I tend to go for later (post-pseudonym) Coil a little more though. Once they experimented with all the different stuff (Elph, Black Light District, Eskaton, Time Machines) they sort of found themselves and were pretty much on top of their game for ever after (Backwards excepted, but that was never properly finished)

As for Gold is the Metal... I love some of it and I find some of it to be a bit meh. But it is outtakes and was only really issued to get them some money after Some Bizzarre stooged them thousands of pounds so all things considered it's a lot better than we could have expected :)

interesting observation, because i always found the post Musik to play in the dark stuff (after they abandoned the pseudonym) a little too derivative of the whole death-folk paganism Current 93 sound. . I much prefer early Coil's mid period more playful experimentation, and of course a larger focus on instrumental music. Black Light District, Coil VS ELph (worship the glitch) , Stolen and Contaminated songs (i prefer this to LSD) and Unnatural history 1-3 are amazing lps. A lot of people share your view though that Coil reached their peak right up until the end, i found them going a little too much on the pretentious deep end when they started playing a lot of shows during that era. It's sad for me to say but i think Coil's best post Musik work is 'Plastic Spider thing' a fan made LP using material from old coil albums remixed.

Guest Greg Reason

Interesting. Never checked out that Black Sun Productions thing, I'll have to give it a listen.

Yeah I love Worship the Glitch, Philm etc. I love some of Black Light District but some of it (Blue Rats, for instance) is sorta really bad. Stolen and Contaminated is great (as are the 3 Natural History's) but I have to say I adore the Musick to Play in the Darks etc... I think Thighpaulsandra really added some beautiful stuff to their sound (his orchestrations on Ape of Naples in particular are gorgeous)

I know what you mean about the new-folk thing (especially on the Solstice and Equinox singles) but I like their take on that way more than any Current 93 I've heard. That said, I do need to delve a little deeper into C93... I'm currently up to my neck in Nurse With Wound (and there is a hell of a lot to go!!).

While we're on the subject of Coil, I think peeps who are into stuff like Perlence Subrange would want to have a listen to Time Machines. Thoroughly gorgeous drone material untainted by Jhonn Balance's unhinged ranting and raving (which can put off a newcomer to Coil)

Archived