Known (1)

Guest the anonymous forumite

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Calx Sherbet

we could take the Portsmouth Sinfonia approach

oh wait, known(1) kinda already did that :emotawesomepm9:

I think it would be quite feasible to do an Autechre cover set. Would take a bit of transcribing, rehearsing and some good musicians. And, of course, an appropriate venue.

Guest theSun

you'd need quite a bit of transcribing and versatile musicians, as well as probably 2 drummers or a set drummer and percussion guy.

i have always wanted to do this

hm i'd guess there is the way Alarm Will Sound do it, i.e. replicate all the textures as good as possible using a varied set of instruments, which in their case sounds pretty sterile, or the other extreme of picking up a bunch of fragments and interpret melodies/rhythms rather loosely, which is more interesting imo,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB3PdBZqN3Y

then of course everything inbetween...

you'd need quite a bit of transcribing and versatile musicians, as well as probably 2 drummers or a set drummer and percussion guy.

Do you play an instrument?

Guest bigs

hm i'd guess there is the way Alarm Will Sound do it, i.e. replicate all the textures as good as possible using a varied set of instruments, which in their case sounds pretty sterile, or the other extreme of picking up a bunch of fragments and interpret melodies/rhythms rather loosely, which is more interesting imo,

very cool, but his douchebag smirk is ripping my soul apart

edit: oh man i hadn't gotten to the part where he makes his gothic-erotica gaze into the camera. what a douche. he totally lost the funky rhythm of it, but still pretty damn cool

i want to form an autechre cover band! none of my musician friends are interested though. in the meantime i'll just keep working on post-rock covers of their tracks.

I would pay handsomely if someone could accurately reproduce this track on guitar. I mean the glitchy lead, not the background stuff.

i think the only person in the world who could play that lead with accurate glitching would be robert fripp. it already sounds like something he'd come up with.

Guest Greg Reason

Probably more Adrian Belew's thing, really. He always goes the fucked-up melting and breaking guitar sounds while Fripp goes the supremely fuzzed out, incisive lead lines.

Christ, what an asshole.

Haha and his name's Evilio :emotawesomepm9:

just started listening to Oversteps recently. Known (1) came on while I was standing on a small bridge leading out to the sea, this track sounded lovely whilst staring out across the ocean and onto the black horizon and blue skies ahead. Also gazing down into the languid swooshing waves. Subsequently I stripped naked and swam around in the cool water.

Guest theSun

Do you play an instrument?

i could probably play any melody line they have made on bass/guitar/trumpet, i can manage working a synth. i love drumming but trying to extrapolate a drum set beat from an autechre beat can be quite challenging.i would need a bigger set. would love to try it though.

• 1 year later...

Now. Really. Even if this track has a conceptual meaning, I can't understand anyone liking it.

It seems to me that anything they've released from legofeet to quadrange doesn't contain such a bad track.

This track even makes Dial look good. But hey, the fact that Known(1) is such a bad track is actually a good thing

in the sense that it informs the most faithful autechre fan on how low his heroes can go. And I believe they can't go any

lower than this.

Yes, you agree with me.

Lol I remember this post from way back. Has your opinion changed?

After getting back into Oversteps and seeing it for all it's glory, I would say you are about a trillion miles away. Known is fucking brilliant.

In Autechre I trust.

Guest Xenblake

Now. Really. Even if this track has a conceptual meaning, I can't understand anyone liking it.

It seems to me that anything they've released from legofeet to quadrange doesn't contain such a bad track.

This track even makes Dial look good. But hey, the fact that Known(1) is such a bad track is actually a good thing

in the sense that it informs the most faithful autechre fan on how low his heroes can go. And I believe they can't go any

lower than this.

Yes, you agree with me.

Lol I remember this post from way back. Has your opinion changed?

After getting back into Oversteps and seeing it for all it's glory, I would say you are about a trillion miles away. Known is fucking brilliant.

In Autechre I trust.

I dunno, it seems at once to be a key track for Oversteps and at the same time a track that seems to stand out, divorced from the albums general atmosphere. It sounds like the sort of natural, down to earth, "human" destination in which alot of the more meandering tracks are heading towards. Not one of my favourites of the album, but still a key Oversteps track IMO.

Oh and I do really like the oriental feel it has, very zen :biggrin:

The start was good but he totally missed the point of the part after it. It has the most sublime Hip-Hop funk to it and he bulldozed the shuffle into some white-ass straight time gothic sounding thing. Fuck that.

Man I'm rubbish at Ae track names so when this was playing I had absolutely no idea what was meant to be a cover of. When I listened to the original I was equally as baffled as to what it was meant to be a cover of ...

very cool, but his douchebag smirk is ripping my soul apart

Oh man, LOL I completely forgot about this video.

When I first listened to Oversteps, known(1) stuck out as being distinctly good, and was my favourite track on the album along with d-sho qub. Now I guess it's been taken over with O=0 and krYlon.

My least favourite Ae track is probably 19 Headaches, but even that's not deserving of a hate thread, for fuck's sake.

I haven't listened to the whole track in a long, long time, and Oversteps gets played a few times a week. It really ruins the Oversteps vibe for me.

I actually like it. I did feel the Coil influence - although I haven't heard "Ostia" before was reminded of something from Love's Secret Domain. I think it fits in just fine with the album. The fuzzy solo/lead is a bit corny but certainly no worse than d-sho qub.

Archived