IGNORED

Oversteps - Initial Reactions (for real this time)

jules

2 tracks in - r ress did sound a little bit clearer and better. Ilanders sounds amazingly better to me, pretty much night and day. Sure you might just plain not like a track no matter the quality, but if the shitty squashed muddiness and tone of Ilanders in the m4a put you off, hearing the clearer version with correct stereo separation might turn u back on. If you hated all the tracks first time round tho, the WAVs ain't gonna help.

why is there no ae smiley?

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have some really nice headphones... But listening with my 2 12" and 1 10" subwoofer that vibes my living room makes all the difference.... Too bad my wife is asleep. Can't wait to listen to Oversteps tomorrow :yeah: I agree...where is the AE sign? :wtf:

to youuuuuuuuuuuuuu

to you

If only you knew that my incense burner was falling off my speakers during the first half of the album...ugh. FEEL the music, not just listening.

Go C them live and agree with me...

Knowing it's Autechre doesn't change my opinion of the content. It's still dull and in almost all cases awful. As another person said: 'there's always the next album'. The ever-changing duo... thank Christ.

:crazy:

review upon second listen of oversteps -

BITCHIN

I liked the heavy amount of reverb on Quaristice, I loved it when I heard it on the leak of this album, and I love it more now that I have it in awesome quality. It's part of what makes me love "r ess" so much.

My favorite so far is still d-sho qub with os veix3 being my "most underrated track." st epreo is among one of my tops as well.

known(1) has grown on me too.

ærection

Anyone else bothered by the fact that warp just put this up on bleep with no announcement at all? No newsletter, not on their website. Nothing. Ae are probably their flagship franchise. Pretty disrespectful if you ask me

Guest blakeboogie

Anyone else bothered by the fact that warp just put this up on bleep with no announcement at all? No newsletter, not on their website. Nothing. Ae are probably their flagship franchise. Pretty disrespectful if you ask me

Yeah I thought this was a little strange, although if you go to the Oversteps page it says if you've preordered you can download the wavs/mp3s now.

you're joking right?

the whole marketing for oversteps has been us - the autechre fan that posts on messageboards, making 300 page threads, tweeting about the various leaks etc etc etc.

i'm sure by now that news of the release has spread like wildfire through Twitter / Facebook / MySpace / Google Buzz / My Balls etc.

but anyways - the bleep newsletters are usually a day or two behind what actually happens.

if you weren't excited for this release you'd probably never listen to autechre anyway, no matter how many bleep newsletters come out. i'm pretty sure rob and sean prefer it this way, as they appear to be reclusive hermits like most people here, and they're going to sell a ton of albums anyway. why? because ae is fucking awesome you twats.

besides i don't think this would be a good album to introduce people to ae.

I'm now on see on see. Mind is not blown but I like this already more than Quaristice and its by-products. Pleasing to the ears. No hate for known(1).

you're joking right?

the whole marketing for oversteps has been us - the autechre fan that posts on messageboards, making 300 page threads, tweeting about the various leaks etc etc etc.

i'm sure by now that news of the release has spread like wildfire through Twitter / Facebook / MySpace / Google Buzz / My Balls etc.

but anyways - the bleep newsletters are usually a day or two behind what actually happens.

kind of but not really. i just think they deserve a little more marketing, especially if this is more digestable for the masses or may turn new people onto them. as far as marketing on a message board. yea we obsess over everything but its the same people in here everyday pretty much. it would be like apple's ipad only being discussed in a subforum on apple's site. pretty lame. warp just bothers me i guess. oversteps should at least me the main thing on warp.net and bleep.com. where would warp be without ae? why the f am i complaining about this? i have a hi-res oversteps on my hd right now and im complaining about warp? wtf. :facepalm: i need to get my head checked.

so anyway, i listened on my ride to work this morning and it was snowing, and there is snow all over the place and see on see was just fucking epic. man alive. gorgeous beautiful and full of life. then treale, when that perfect snare comes in around 2 minutes may be my fav moment on the album so far.

besides i don't think this would be a good album to introduce people to ae.

dunno… r ess could work pretty damn well as first Ae listen maybe… not so sure about ilanders and known(1), pt2ph8 though… dunno gotta try :emotawesomepm9:

i don't know about warp, but i don't think ae come into this with an agenda to sell as many records as they can. warp probably realizes this and figures if people are going to be into this sort of shit, they'll probably seek it out themselves. not like oversteps is going to get any radio play (in america at least, woot clear channel) or have people lining up in the streets to see them live.

i just don't think that much marketing is really that helpful with a group as difficult as ae. 80% of people who hear this album that aren't specifically into experimental/idm are just going to think it's noise anyway.

i'm just happy that they keep releasing music on a fairly steady pace. just wish we'd get a few 4-5 track EPs between releases, or a released live set because honestly glasgow 256 soundboard is better than untilted, and untilted is my favorite album.

edit - except full length pro radii and of course ipacial and sublimit, who don't get any love at that set :( their pro radii cut-up-fest in that set is one of the greatest moments ever in ae histor for me though.

also generally, i would think word of mouth marketing works best with Ae really. When a friend who you trust and share a vocabulary with keeps ejaculating over it you're probably more inclined to give it a listen than when a random guy on the radio babbles a laudatio...

i agree with what you guys are saying but shouldnt they at least be on bleep's main page? wtf. if wasnt on here everyday and i was a casual ae fan, how would i know they have a new album thats already out?

maybe in a few months once all this fanboy "i love it!" "i hate it!" bullshit dies down. seriously if i was ae i wouldn't even read these threads too depressing.

Guest blakeboogie

i agree with what you guys are saying but shouldnt they at least be on bleep's main page? wtf. if wasnt on here everyday and i was a casual ae fan, how would i know they have a new album thats already out?

It is now, Oversteps and Autechre mega sale Bleep.

maybe in a few months once all this fanboy "i love it!" "i hate it!" bullshit dies down. seriously if i was ae i wouldn't even read these threads too depressing.

seriously. imagine reading all this crap from an outsiders perspective. everyone's snap opinions, getting yelled at, reversing their opinions and getting yelled at for that. throw in the inevitable vinyl vs digital debate and a mix of noobs, disgruntled vets and fanboy ejacultions and you have a total :facepalm:

It is now, Oversteps and Autechre mega sale Bleep.

I'm listening pt2ph8 from Bleep right now, is beautiful :wub: I think that Oversteps is my new fav album

i got this e-mail today:

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: AUTECHRE - OVERSTEPS

- Recently you pre-ordered either the CD or vinyl version of Autechre’s album ‘Oversteps’, including a free digital version as WAVs and MP3s.

- We’re pleased to let you know that these digital files have been delivered to your Bleep account now, and are waiting for you to collect.

- To access log in to your account on the store and go to the “Downloads” section of your account.

- You will find either 16bit / 44.1kHz or 24bit / 44.1kHz WAVs (based on your preference when you pre-ordered), and 320kbps LAME encoded MP3s. These can be downloaded separately at any time.

- Each of the 14 mp3s has individual artwork as chosen by Autechre. This track-by-track artwork is exclusive to Bleep.

- Please be aware the physical release date has not changed.

Go to http://bleep.com to download your copy of the album.

Archived