Guest Greg Reason

On 10/24/2019 at 6:01 AM, cwmbrancity said:

Did you grip it? It’s about as bizarre as anthropology & photography get without recourse to theory, the Lynch intro saying everything needed before the uncanny heft of the photos themselves hit you face on/full on.

The one you’ve cited above is so deeply weird, words fail, but that these images are Merkin, with all its Christian tentacles & hypocrisy, seems a bit like the carnivalesque/social pressure valve for expressing, inverting & subverting the other 364 days of the year (plus the obvs pagan remnants of the old world manifesting in a strange new world context).

helluva hobby compiling all these anonymous portraits into one outstandingly ghoulish compendium, probably one of the best “books” (alongside England’s Hidden Reverse) to emerge from the Coil world.

I did get a copy in the mail the other day!  I especially loved the writing in the afterword in the end.  Language spoken directly to my soul!   These photos are great!   I wish I could be more of a junk picker that I'd have the where-with-all to cultivate such a collection! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/19/2020 at 1:32 PM, kieselguhr kid said:

any details on this? this is one i really need to have

What I read on the Live Coil Archive FB group.

Just announced: Reissue of Musick To Play In The Dark Vol. I

As this is buried in a post from Rigeck Rodgers (thank you for this) I would just like to draw some attention to a comment from Ryan Martin from Dais Records.

Some time during the summer we can expect a reissue of Musick To Play In The Dark Vol. I on CD and Double Vinyl. Drew McDowall is involved in this reissue and like the other releases on Dais MTPITD will of course be remastered.

Source material will be the original master files. The packaging shall have a better quality than the original release, including a better reproduction of the colours of the original artwork. And the vinyl will feature the full length tracks from the CD and not the truncated versions from the original vinyl edition.

A release is currently planned for end of Summer.

And Dais is working on another reissue which won't be released until early 2021 - no more details on this right now.

Further to this a reissue of Musick To Play In The Dark Vol. II has been discussed, "but one thing at a time". So this might come at a later date - we should all keep our fingers crossed.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, kichiguy said:

What I read on the Live Coil Archive FB group.

Just announced: Reissue of Musick To Play In The Dark Vol. I

As this is buried in a post from Rigeck Rodgers (thank you for this) I would just like to draw some attention to a comment from Ryan Martin from Dais Records.

Some time during the summer we can expect a reissue of Musick To Play In The Dark Vol. I on CD and Double Vinyl. Drew McDowall is involved in this reissue and like the other releases on Dais MTPITD will of course be remastered.

Source material will be the original master files. The packaging shall have a better quality than the original release, including a better reproduction of the colours of the original artwork. And the vinyl will feature the full length tracks from the CD and not the truncated versions from the original vinyl edition.

A release is currently planned for end of Summer.

And Dais is working on another reissue which won't be released until early 2021 - no more details on this right now.

Further to this a reissue of Musick To Play In The Dark Vol. II has been discussed, "but one thing at a time". So this might come at a later date - we should all keep our fingers crossed.

thx! great news, really really looking forward to this!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, no part of it said:

I did not know about this project with Stephen Thrower, featuring Danielle Dax sometimes?  Someone mentioned it in this forum... 

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1581570-UnicaZürn

well worth checking out, most of their stuff is on youtube.

the last two releases on touch rec. tend to a more ambient/kosmische direction

+ still very much/hoping for that new cyclobe album that was announced like 2 or 3 years ago though...

Edited by kieselguhr kid
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...