Guest Greg Reason

On 6/30/2019 at 11:54 PM, cwmbrancity said:

@ Poly, a blend of trawks that lean to the drone end of things with percussion creeping in later, possibly posted b4 sooooostooooooned

Nice selection!

Had a blast. When mixing drones ideally the key/harmonics should equal something more than the sum of their parts, so blending tracks like these eg: Time Machines megatitletrawks, are gold for letting the transitions take their time no pun intended

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Ivan Ooze said:

Got Black Antlers remastered on archive org and i'm blown the fuck away

can't wait to discover moreeee

Maybe a stupid question — are people just uploading pirated music to archive dot org now, or are these Coil releases now somehow legally available for free?

I know, I probably shouldn’t be asking

36 minutes ago, ascdi said:

Maybe a stupid question — are people just uploading pirated music to archive dot org now, or are these Coil releases now somehow legally available for free?

I know, I probably shouldn’t be asking

I think it's a combination of the two. Who owns this IP now that John & Sleazy are gone, and do you think they'd fight to get it taken down? Isn't it better that the (modestly pressed) music is being heard at all? There's also a healthy niche of collectors who basically guarantee every pressing sells out, so there's almost certainly no financial threat. 

19 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

I think it's a combination of the two. Who owns this IP now that John & Sleazy are gone, and do you think they'd fight to get it taken down? Isn't it better that the (modestly pressed) music is being heard at all? There's also a healthy niche of collectors who basically guarantee every pressing sells out, so there's almost certainly no financial threat. 

I agree it’s probably better this way than for it to fade into oblivion. But I’d feel even better about that conclusion if it was official, that’s all

It’s weird that archive.org just lets that stuff be hosted there though… I guess maybe it’s just under their radar?

I dunno, strange times

• 1 month later...

I need to dive more into coil discography, the apes of naples is superb but now im more into this other stuff. Here is my little homage..

Edited by Diurn

Put off getting Swanyard as thought it's just more backwards demos.. (which it is tbf) But now i finally got it enjoying it much more than I thought i would.. some really good stuff on it.

Worth getting just for this alone actually! 

Edited by kirm
  • Like 1

This one sounds interesting:

"Scatology Sessions by Coil is a collection of material from the recording sessions  that resulted in the band’s 1984 debut album, Scatology. The collection has been put together by fans of the band and includes some previously unheard takes of album tracks along with some rare renditions of songs. Most of the tracks here were donated by an anonymous donor and have been remastered from FLAC files."

https://www.normanrecords.com/records/178801-coil-scatology-sessions

IMG_7724.JPG

I bought AFX Hangable Auto Bulb EP from Sleazy on eBay back in the early 2000's for a decent price. I left him positive feedback. He didn't return the favor.

Didn't hold it against him though, good tunes. RIP bro.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 1

Long time COIL fan here, pre-ordered the above LP reissue.  Didn't know about the Scatology Sessions release though!  Not sure if I'll get that one, but maybe.  Does anyone know about Phil Eke?  He is part of the "Live Coil Archive" and somewhat instrumental in remastering/uploading a lot of stuff on archive.org.  He writes really extensive articles on various deeper esoteric aspects of Coil's history and philosophy.   Worth looking him up. 

Just gonna cross-post here, because I saw it in the "Hauntology" thread mentioned a year or two ago, and had not heard of it, being a huge Coil fan.  It also happens to be reissued currently, and 1st editions went for "$$$" as it were. 

Haunted Air

A collection of 1800s-early 1900s photographs featuring children in Halloween costumes.

By Ossian Brown (Cyclobe, ex-COIL)

with a foreward by David Lynch.

ScreenHunter 271.png

Edited by no part of it
  • Like 3

Did you grip it? It’s about as bizarre as anthropology & photography get without recourse to theory, the Lynch intro saying everything needed before the uncanny heft of the photos themselves hit you face on/full on.

The one you’ve cited above is so deeply weird, words fail, but that these images are Merkin, with all its Christian tentacles & hypocrisy, seems a bit like the carnivalesque/social pressure valve for expressing, inverting & subverting the other 364 days of the year (plus the obvs pagan remnants of the old world manifesting in a strange new world context).

helluva hobby compiling all these anonymous portraits into one outstandingly ghoulish compendium, probably one of the best “books” (alongside England’s Hidden Reverse) to emerge from the Coil world.