IGNORED

Caffeine Thread

chassis

Aeropress trial run this morning was successful; this is good stuff, and I was just using some gifted Xmas blend Starbucks whole beans and a blade grinder.

There's a S'bucks near me with a Clover brewing system, which was supposed to be the next big thing in brewing (and it's excellent), but S'bucks bought the IP and now it's only found in limited market, high profile S'bucks locations (in hipster coffee snob areas, basically.). The system costs 11 grand or sommat per installation.

And yet I could see some great coffee run through a $25 Aeropress by a seasoned pro hitting right around the same flavor profile and mouthfeel. Basically I suck at making coffee (or I think I do) but the first thing that came to mind with my first attempt at Aeropress was Xmas blend from a Clover, and French press without the sludge and resulting off notes.

I've also been loading up on "Ancient Trees" Pu-erh tea from Peets over the last few years. It's pricy but I reuse the tuo cha puck a coupla times over the course of a day when I'm at home. It's black as coffee but so smooth. Smells like essence of wet cat if you don't do a flush first per the brewing instructions, which surely is a sign of greatness.

http://m.peets.com/tea/featured-tea/all-teas/ancient-trees-organic-pu-erh-4-oz.html

I'm sure there's better pu-erh out there but this is readily available and consistent.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to take insane amounts of caffeine when I was a teenager. Me and my friends would buy caffeine tabs from a pharmacy and then pop several at once and do some coding or gaming. One time I took a gram worth of caffeine in a single dose.. And just for fun I even extracted pure caffeine crystals from the tabs..

Now I just mainly drink green tea and espressos.

I used to take insane amounts of caffeine when I was a teenager. Me and my friends would buy caffeine tabs from a pharmacy and then pop several at once and do some coding or gaming. One time I took a gram worth of caffeine in a single dose.. And just for fun I even extracted pure caffeine crystals from the tabs..

photo-10252.png?_r=1420748492

Lol, yes, that's how it feels.

My ex also sometimes used to drink two quadruple espressos in the morning before she even got to work. She would get headaches if she skipped coffee altogether.

Aeropress trial run this morning was successful; this is good stuff, and I was just using some gifted Xmas blend Starbucks whole beans and a blade grinder.

There's a S'bucks near me with a Clover brewing system, which was supposed to be the next big thing in brewing (and it's excellent), but S'bucks bought the IP and now it's only found in limited market, high profile S'bucks locations (in hipster coffee snob areas, basically.). The system costs 11 grand or sommat per installation.

And yet I could see some great coffee run through a $25 Aeropress by a seasoned pro hitting right around the same flavor profile and mouthfeel. Basically I suck at making coffee (or I think I do) but the first thing that came to mind with my first attempt at Aeropress was Xmas blend from a Clover, and French press without the sludge and resulting off notes.

I've been using a French press for a couple of years now, a friend of mine was talking about Aeropress too. So regarding taste it's basically like a French press without the sludge? That's a good deal for $25 I think. The sludge in a French press sucks ass but you learn to not drink it, basically, lol. It's a lot better than filter coffee in my opinion though, it has much more taste to it when you know how to make proper coffee with it.

P.S. - once in a blue moon (=when I have to) I visit Starbucks and I seem to have a lot of trouble asking for a cup of coffee. As in, just a normal cup of coffee. They just look at you like you're ordering donuts in a bicycle shop and reply with at least five questions about how that cup should be crafted.

*sigh* gettin real tired of that hipster bs

kids that probably never even liked the taste of coffee before it got hip

now everybody's a fucking DJ and barista

I've been using a French press for a couple of years now, a friend of mine was talking about Aeropress too. So regarding taste it's basically like a French press without the sludge? That's a good deal for $25 I think. The sludge in a French press sucks ass but you learn to not drink it, basically, lol. It's a lot better than filter coffee in my opinion though, it has much more taste to it when you know how to make proper coffee with it.

Yeah, it's somewhere between French press and an espresso pull. I used water from a kettle that had about a minute rest from boil... which is way hotter than the Aeropress instructions suggest. But the hotter water brings out a bit more bright/bitter flavors apparently (I spent a chunk of last night reading a massive Aeropress thread somewhere) which to me makes it a bit French pressy. It seems like you can tailor this thing to your tastes very well by varying the grind size and water temp, which is pretty cool.

Basically all I did was grind for 20 seconds with a cheap blade grinder using two of the oversized Aeropress spoonfuls of whole beans (which probably cooked the beans a little more than an ideal burr grinder, but hey). The Aeropress has an included funnel so I just dumped the contents into the press, shook to even out the grind, then filled the press with the off-boil water up to the bottom of the "2" circle. Ten seconds of stirring with the included stirrer, and then use the plunger for about 30 seconds.

That dropped about a double shot into my mug. Then I just topped off the mug with the hot water from the kettle.

I'm sure it could get much better by adjusting any of the above, but that tasted somewhere between French press and an "Americano."

Somehow I always thought Aeropress was Frenchpress for espresso, less sludge would indeed be nice...

I've been making french press coffee for the last 4-5 years and prefer it over filtered coffee. I only recently adjusted my brewing steps, by letting it steep for 6 - 8 min and keeping the coffee grounds afloat... best cup of coffee I've ever had. (esp. in combination with freshly ground beans).

Speaking of grinders, I am retiring my hand grinder and getting a Graef CM800 mill next month after toying around with the idea for the last ~2 years :emotawesomepm9:

Over the last few months I've become obsessed with "decent" coffee (none of that instant BS any more). However, I now seem to have a coffee dependency, and couldn't function at all last week without a couple of cups each day. I'm slightly worried, but can't get enough of good coffee after putting up with shit coffee for so long. Help?

Yeah, grinding your own beans is the way to go! You even taste differences when you use freshly ground beans for filter coffee instead of pre-grinded beans.

I prefer drip coffee over French press. Maybe it's who was making it, but every time I got a French pressed coffee it always tasted kind of burnt.

I have never tasted coffee, seems unneccesary.

It is. Most things are unnecessary, but they sure make things easier/fun.

Yeah, it's somewhere between French press and an espresso pull. I used water from a kettle that had about a minute rest from boil... which is way hotter than the Aeropress instructions suggest. But the hotter water brings out a bit more bright/bitter flavors apparently (I spent a chunk of last night reading a massive Aeropress thread somewhere) which to me makes it a bit French pressy. It seems like you can tailor this thing to your tastes very well by varying the grind size and water temp, which is pretty cool.

Basically all I did was grind for 20 seconds with a cheap blade grinder using two of the oversized Aeropress spoonfuls of whole beans (which probably cooked the beans a little more than an ideal burr grinder, but hey). The Aeropress has an included funnel so I just dumped the contents into the press, shook to even out the grind, then filled the press with the off-boil water up to the bottom of the "2" circle. Ten seconds of stirring with the included stirrer, and then use the plunger for about 30 seconds.

That dropped about a double shot into my mug. Then I just topped off the mug with the hot water from the kettle.

I'm sure it could get much better by adjusting any of the above, but that tasted somewhere between French press and an "Americano."

Thanks, it sounds nice, I might look into buying one :) It would be cool if there are bigger versions for more cups etc.

i used to drink coffee - freshly ground cappuccino all day long. then i gave up - and now my body cant even take 1 cup without revolting and getting shaky and anxious.

anyone know how i can counteract this weird coffee psychosis ive got going on?

^ serious fwp, guys ^

usually require one 2-shot americano in the morning. If sleep is lacking I usually get a 4 shot americano but rarely ever finish it.

never had a full cup of coffee til i was 22.

I love Periodic Videos, and the caffiene one definitely belongs here. Funny, how the girl changes her tune about wearing the molecule after she opens the gift.

i used to drink coffee - freshly ground cappuccino all day long. then i gave up - and now my body cant even take 1 cup without revolting and getting shaky and anxious.

^ serious fwp, guys ^

What kind of coffee are you drinking?

4 part espresso (ie 4 shots), 1 part added hot water + 1 1/2 Brown sugar

Or rice milk mocha if I have a coffee voucher (they can be found in Boston Tea Party bins.. not voided.. yup, for a second I was sounding yuppie but I am a total pikey)

^ serious fwp, guys ^

drink tea?

i used to drink lavazza,, other 100% arabica, ive tried some blends, i used to like the taste of colombian

^ serious fwp, guys ^

What kind of coffee are you drinking?

^ serious fwp, guys ^

drink tea?

I used to like: colombian supermarket finest, various 100% arabica, lavazza, my dad even gave me some luwak.... and costa coffees.. all home ground.

as for tea, i do drink tea. I have a special kettle with temp control to not make the tea bitter. I have a good source of Darjeeling, keemun, pai mu tan white peony, sencha, and also like russian caravan, oolong, lapsang souchong, dragon well, nine dragons, gen maicha, and started getting into pu er, although im not sure which of these to buy next because they can go for dollars.

want to try some good silver needle too. so yeah. maybe i should start a tea thread for us tea drinkers

SOMETIMES I JUST WANT A COFFEE, DAMNIT

Archived