IGNORED

Why is it that the majority of people who listen to Electronic music don't know about IDM?

Guest PWSTEAL

Guest PWSTEAL

Why is it that the majority of people who listen to electronic music never even heard of IDM?

I always meet people who are like "Yeah, I listen to alot of electro music" some of them even DJs

And I'm like, "Cool, what kinds of electro music?" and they'll be like

"Trance, Dubstep, Happycore, House, Speedcore" And I'm like

"Ever heard of IDM?" And they are always like "No"

And I'm always like "You ever heard of Squarepusher? Luke Vibert? Autechre? etc"

And they are like "No", and I'm like , Aphex Twin?"

And they are like, "I've heard of him, but I don't know much of his music"

And I'm just thinking... :facepalm:

WTF? I don't understand, how can you call your self a fan of electronic music,

and not even listen to the best kind, IDM! and it kinda frustrates me that they listen to all these stupid

subgenres like hardcore, happycore, speedcore, Downtempo, Hardstyle, UK garage, etc

But yet they never heard of IDM, or even listened to Aphex Twin, WTF?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Enter a new display name

Some people don't know Aphex Twins? Damn, they deserve death penalty!

I notice a lot of my friends who listen to electronic basically prefer 4/4 beats.

One of the smartest people I've ever met in my life with an ecclectic music taste that ranged from classical to pop worked with me for a while, and was interested in the music I make. At the time he was mostly into Daft Punk as far as electronic goes. I tried to broaden his horizon by trying to play him my more impressive stuff but had no luck with impressing.

Eventually I pulled out the big guns and let him hear aphex and squarepusher and autechre etc he really didn't like any of it.

One day I was playing him something and he said he liked faster music. So I threw on Vic Acid by Squarepusher and he said the he prefers faster stuff with less drums.

FASTER STUFF WITH LESS DRUMS?? Completely perplexed I asked him to show me what he meant. He later just pulled out some 4/4 stuff.

Just goes to show that to most people, I imagine what we listen to sounds like annoying music thats on the verge of breaking.

Guest margaret thatcher

people just prefer fun music that you can dance to and hum along with. it's simple really.

It may be because Tiesto spends millions of Euros to promote his fucking face

And AFX spends 0 pounds + a bunch of lies and myths to hype his persona (and the only ones that buy into that shit are mentally unstable people)

Guest Lube Saibot

how can you call your self a fan of electronic music, and not even listen to the best kind, IDM!

:facepalm:

i'm not going to make too much of a comment here, but this annoys me.

not the whole "people who've never heard of iddums" thing, but the whole "what kind of electro?" thing.

none of those examples given by the person answering the question are electro, or even sub-genres of electro :facepalm: :elitismfag:

WTF? I don't understand, how can you call your self a fan of electronic music,

and not even listen to the best kind, IDM! and it kinda frustrates me that they listen to all these stupid

subgenres like hardcore, happycore, speedcore, Downtempo, Hardstyle, UK garage, etc

But yet they never heard of IDM, or even listened to Aphex Twin, WTF?

:facepalm:

I'm working in a youth center and every meet a person that says he/she listens to electronic music. I say, oh really, what kind, and they go, well you know, electronic, and I ask them, name a artist so I'll know, they name some dj's I've never heard of, a ask them about Sp, Ae and afx, some of them have heard about afx and that's it. Fucking NOBODY I randomly meet know Idm exists.

So that's that. People mostly listen to electronic stuff, other than idm, but I don't really care.

:braindance:

idm came over me like the days i was listening to a select few gimmic/glam bands in the 80's when i was young.

it became an obsession to hear as much of it as i could, all the time! i ate more mash potatos too once i heard aphex.

and yeah everyone i ask if they've heard of idm they say they never heard of it but when i mention warp artists the only one they've heard is aphex and come to daddy is all they've heard.

now i'm like look, fuck you 1, i watched autechre when they were on mtv's amp and seen come to daddy when mtv first aired the vid too. so eat a bowl of poo with caca sprinkles. :gargamel:

Guest nene multiple assgasms

I'd be happy enough to meet someone who's into some decent techno or house.

Guest disparaissant

actually pretty much everyone i know has heard and loves windowlicker solely for it's inclusion in some shitty adam sandler movie. but that's about it. most of my friends call what i listen to "noise," so whatever. idm is for the mentally ill anyways.

'electronic music' as a genre doesn't really exist anymore if you think about it. Most mainstream pop music is by definition electronic music, so to say the majority of people who listen to electronic music don't know about IDM is obviously true.

Yes most western people ages 9-15 don't know about IDM because i think honestly these are the main people listening to electronic music on a daily basis besides like club goers in Berlin

Archived