IGNORED

Squarepusher Plays / Feed Me Weird Things

superstix

Hello! Week 1 was surprisingly active despite the obscurity of the EPs. This week we take on one more EP and then my favorite Squarepusher album "Feed Me Weird Things". I can't wait to share my thoughts and read yours.

rekord.28594.jpgcd7bd0920ea00bd33c6cc110.L.jpg

I love 'deep fried pizza' on 'squarepusher plays...'. quite an underrated tune, imo.

'feed me weird things', of course, is full of classics. but we all know that! :squarepusher_logo: :squarepusher_logo: :squarepusher_logo::squarepusher: :squarepusher: :squarepusher: :squarepusher: :squarepusher:

fmwt is one of the most important albums for getting me into electronic music. can't properly describe how much it's meant and how good it is.

that album was THE album that got me into electronic music as deeply as i am now. aphex twin and drukqs sparked the interest, but i essentially knew that this was my kind of music within the opening seconds of 'squarepusher theme'. and then i heard 'theme from ernest borgnine' and the rest is history

i would say that it wouldn't be an exaggeration to consider 'feed me weird things' as my favorite album of all time, not just for the quality of music but for what greatness has flowed into my ears and brain afterwards...

Oh man ! I wanted so much to buy Feed Me Weird Thing but I never managed to found it (whether in stores or on Internet...)

I only heard a few tunes but there all are amazing, Squarepusher's Theme, Tundra, and Theme From Ernest Borgnine (please forgive the spelling of his name)...

Tundra is one of the most dense tracks I ever heard, it takes you to another world, and has a really unique atmosphere. Squarepusher's Theme is one of the most funny Tom's tracks I heard, with those crazy beats, and his bass jumping everywhere. This tune is full of energy, you know, like a young boy hanging out with his friends during holidays, or whatever.

Theme From Ernest is an amazing piece of music too. I really need to hear this album on CD...You know like me how sounds the YouTube + Shitty Loudspeakers + Superb tracks combo !

Squarepusher Plays...: Gotta love Squarepusher Theme, obviously. It's just so fun and like the title suggests is like a big mashup of everything Tom was about at the time. Theme from Goodbye Ronaldo is fucking beautiful. The begininng makes me think of some cheesy 70's cop show chase scene (Something along the lines of Beastie Boys Sabotage video), and then it develops into this massive emotional piece of brilliance. Deep Fried Pizza is just plain awesome. The bass at 1:55-2:07 gets me every time. How the fuck do his fingers to that? Haha. Overall though this is definetely my favorite Squarepusher EP, even beating out Big Loada & Venus No. 17.

Got FMWT on vinyl recently and my giddyometer twitched and fizzled

....love the fact that squarepusher has played dimotane co at recent live sets...

....North circular is much loved around my area

... UFO's is one of my funeral songs

... theme from earnest... when aphex dropped this at a gig one time... i nearly died!!

Squarepusher plays: First heard TFGR on the first rephlex radio show with the jerky boys.........."Get ready for some fireworks".....

Theme from Ernest Borgnine is the feel good track of forever!

Huh ?

For me there is like an infinite sadness coming out from this tune. Could you explain your feeling about that song ?

Huh ?

For me there is like an infinite sadness coming out from this tune. Could you explain your feeling about that song ?

Are you thinking of Tundra?

Guest the anonymous forumite

So fucking good. The funn< thing is that after years of listening to SP, I only thought about giving this one a try last week. Better than hard normal daddy IMo.

Why do I have a better appreciation of Theme from Ernest Borgnine now then when I first bought the album?

Its like I started at the best, went off listened to some pretty good stuff, some mediocre stuff and some really really shit stuff. Eventually coming full circle with a better appreciation for the best.

I guess I answered my own question.

Huh ?

Tundra has this sad feeling too, but I really find the main synth line in Ernest Borgnine sadder ! Like some WATMMers say, it could be one of my funeral songs...

Huh ?

Tundra has this sad feeling too, but I really find the main synth line in Ernest Borgnine sadder ! Like some WATMMers say, it could be one of my funeral songs...

I agree with vasio, such a relaxing chill out feel good track. When that beat kicks in **jizz**

I never got around to listening to SP plays unfortunately.

But Feed Me Weird things woah, I have a new appreciation for this record. I think when I 1st got "into" squarepusher one of my mates was already a big enough fan. He gave me all the "big" releases. Feed me, Go Plastic, Hard normal etc. I think I got too much to soon and as a result I skimmed over albums not really listening to them properly. I think I'm guilty of doing this with a lot of artists.

But after a week of intense listening I can say I do love this album. There are some absolute masterpieces on this LP. I just find the whole thing so mellow, even with the beats and all I could sit in bed listening to this while I drift off to sleep. But at the same time I can go ape shit to some of the tracks, brings me back to when I saw him live. Still one of the best gigs Ive been to.

Feed me Weird Things: 8.5/10

Squarepusher - Feed Me Weird Things

Squarepusher Theme - One of the first tracks I heard from Tom, and I'm very fortunate of that. Very fun and lighthearted song, but complex at the same time. The bass melodies are some of his best, and the percussion is just perfect. This is probably his best opener in his entire discog, what a track. I read somewhere that the guitar-ish noises were sampled from some old Brazilian record from the '60s or something. Who knows? The change-up at 4:40ish is just so dancey, I love it! Great track!

Tundra - One of the coldest tracks I've ever heard. This one just spews out loneliness, and it fits for Tom, considering all we've heard about him being anti-social and a shut-in during his early years. I've never cried to many songs, but I suppose in the right mood (or wrong mood, lol), this one would get me. His production skills grew considerably from Stereotype and Crot, it's amazing in how short a time too. The breaks here are so much more complicated and random-seeming than his earlier albums. SP's known for his dreamy melodies and this is one of his best, especially the one during the break...just heart-wrenching. Even with all this, it's not my favorite on the album.

The Swifty - One of the funkier tracks. I used to dislike this at first, but now I love it. Kinda abstract at first, sounds like pre-Music is Rotted at some parts. The bass guitar section is my favorite part of this one, great work Tom! @ 4:00 is just mind-blowing.

Dimotane Co. - Sounds like an updated version of Stereotype almost! This one deserves to played out loud somewhere, what a banger. Especially when the squelches, etc. come in, whoo! One of those tracks that run everybody off of the dancefloor. I love how the kicks seem to start and stop a little early and a little late in some areas, that's some great skill, especially in 1996. One of my favorites from the album. I actually played this live once, and the people went insane. Everyone should do it! :)

Smedley's Melody - Seems like a quick little bass jam session, until the breaks drop in and out over and over again, nice little interlude. It's good, though, especially the end with the "brrrrrrrrrrrr aaaaaa" noises.

Windscale 2 - My absolute favorite from the album, and top 5 Squarepusher. The song starts off so nice-sounding and pretty, and it just seems to delve further and further into madness, like a rolling thunderstorm. The beginning of this gets me everytime, that little bass guitar melody is just fantastic. From 1:10 on, this just gets legendary. 2:41 with the second melody....just good lord, that's all I can say about this. Amazing production, amazing melodies, amazing everything. I love everything about this track, and it keeps on getting better and better as the song progresses, denser by the second. 1000000/10, nothing on this album beats this :D

North Circular - This one was my favorite for a looooooooooong album. Just so funky and sinister. It starts off rough and doesn't ever let go. The bass in this track is one of his best, imo. 1:30 just explodes when played really loud, incredible beats. The loop keeps picking up more and more until it can't take anymore and falls apart for a breather, then just EXPLODES again! This one makes me dance like a maniac, man I love this one. The Windscale 2/North Circular 1-2 punch is probably the best section in this whole album....man, GREAT!

Goodnight Jade - After the mind-melting Windscale 2 and breaks-in-your-face North Circular, there's got to be a short little break from the madness, and we have that with Goodnight Jade. Really great little interlude, reminds me quite a bit of Tommib, and I wouldn't be surprised if Tommib was a re-edit of this. This track is the marker for the more jazzy side of Tom, I think (Kodack, Future Gibbon, Ernest Borgnine).

Theme from Ernest Borgnine - Why Ernest Borgnine, Tom, why? Very great track here, seems uplifting in a sense. Not sure how to describe this one except for just really, really, really great. The kick loop sounds massive, the percussion sounds a little tinny, but it works well here. And it gos without saying that the acid section at the end is absolute killer, no filler. Ends abruptly, but I like it that way.

UFOs Over Leytonstone - This track is just so dark and lurking, I feel uncomfortable just listening to it. That melody is just so...I don't even know the word to use, but just dense and desolate, what a melody. I think this is very similar to Tundra in that both these tracks are so cold-sounding and depressing. This one is a tad funkier and less saddening, sort of like the Mad Mind of Tom, locked in his room, crapping out fantastic tracks 24/7. This one reminds me a lot of Hedphelym by Aphex Twin, in terms of the density of the tracks.

Kodack - Extremely jazzy, probably the jazziest track on here. Doesn't seem to go anywhere at first listen, but there's a lot of small variations here that's easy to miss. I like that he's able to do that, have a song that sounds so simple, but under the surface is very deep and complex. Not one of my favorites from the album, but great nonetheless. Perhaps with more listening I'll love it even more. :) 4:10 is great though, I must admit, one of the best sections of the album. Reminds me a lot of Hard Normal Daddy.

Future Gibbon - Perfect outro, just nonsense and madness, I love it!

Overall: A mind-blowing debut on Rephlex, there's still not an album out quite like it, which proves its originality and ability to stand the test of time. The first part of the album is loaded with breaks and madness, and it seems to mellow out more near the end, and gives hints to the more jazz-heavy compositions he released later. The only miss for me is Future Gibbon and (slightly) Smedley's Melody, but those are minor compared to what this album gives me.

9/10

Guest Calx Sherbet

Huh ?

I agree with vasio, such a relaxing chill out feel good track. When that beat kicks in **jizz**

it's like whooshki making a comeback

Archived