IGNORED

Who owns Aphex Twin?

Guest KarakasaMusic

All record deals run out some time. It either goes by Albums made under the label or it runs out by a certain year. Rich said that he signed for something like 6 albums, and he's only released how many as of now? Yeah, he's got some time before it runs out.

All record deals run out some time. It either goes by Albums made under the label or it runs out by a certain year. Rich said that he signed for something like 6 albums, and he's only released how many as of now? Yeah, he's got some time before it runs out.

or does he?

Surfing on Sine Waves

Selected Ambient Works II

I Care Because You Do

RDJ

Drukqs

That's five, if you include Hangable Auto Bulb on CD (which is debatable) then he's done six. I'm sure the details are a lot more complicated. Fact is he'll release something whenever he feels the need for his fans to pay in to the RDJ retirement fund.

Guest AlexPallas

this discussion actually makes me question wether Richard D. James even authorized 26 Mixes For Cash or Warp just went around collecting misc remixes the had some rights to. even if you consider the exclusive tracks they could have just as well been rejected tracks that the record company hend onto.

this discussion actually makes me question wether Richard D. James even authorized 26 Mixes For Cash or Warp just went around collecting misc remixes the had some rights to. even if you consider the exclusive tracks they could have just as well been rejected tracks that the record company hend onto.

forgot about 26 mixes for cash . . .

Guest AlexPallas

forgot about 26 mixes for cash . . .

even so, i doubt Warp would let RDJ go so easily. i'm willing to bet this didn't count towards his Warp parole

• 3 months later...

or does he?

Surfing on Sine Waves

I Care Because You Do

RDJ

Drukqs

That's five, if you include Hangable Auto Bulb on CD (which is debatable) then he's done six. I'm sure the details are a lot more complicated. Fact is he'll release something whenever he feels the need for his fans to pay in to the RDJ retirement fund.

http://www.warprecords.com/ography/

The "albums" section there lists 7 Aphex Twin releases (HAB and 26 Mixes are also there), so they must have counted those as albums.

Are there any interviews from after 26 Mixes was released that indicate that Warp still have a contract with him?

Er, YEAH. 2 remixes by AFX is on it and the re-release of analogue bubblebath 3.1 (I think). That's about it though. Apparently Squarepusher went bonkers or something and Aphex hasn't heard from him in 6 months or some shit like that. So it's fizzled out now I guess....

Incorrect - there has been no reissue of the AB 3.1 EP (yet); you're thinking of the AB3 CD vinyl release (not repress). Rephlex love to confuse the fans, eh?

i think the label you're referring to is MEN which has only two releases i believe: Smojphace EP and 2 Remixes by AFX

Correct - supposedly something by Ceephax was supposed to come out on it, but I think Rephlex is going to release it now.

Richard owns AFX, Warner owns Aphex Twin, legally. Until they can come to a compromise or the deal runs out he'll probably have to release as AFX or some other pseudonym.

And why would he make a Drukqz II? I mean, the first one was more of a compilation of random works, so a true sequel that was planned to be a sequel to Drukqz really wouldn't be a sequel at all.

Where did you get that information? Warner/WEA does not 'own' the Aphex Twin name to my knowledge. 26 Mixes was a UK-only release as well, with Zomba Records releasing it in Europe. Beat Records now releases his stuff in Japan.

Warner/WEA was upset at Richard for not following up Windowlicker with an album (which WARP reportedly told them he would deliver and got a huge advance from them), but other than that they had no ownership of the Aphex Twin name to my knowledge.

Drukqs was not a "compilation of random works" from an MP3 player or anything else; it was a carefully planned album from the very beginning.

The story goes that another label was rounding up all of Richard's remixes to release, and WARP/Richard jumped on it and quickly got as many masters as they could and threw together 26 Mixes (hence the lack of real artwork (TDr should be ashamed to have charged for that design), and the Heroes Remix being from MP3 and not an audio master) before the other label could release it. I don't know who the other label was.

Richard is still releasing on WARP, and rumours of him meeting his contract requirements or some other bollocks is just that - bollocks. WARP is not going to stop releasing Aphex Twin stuff, as it benefits both WARP and Richard.

Drukqs was not a "compilation of random works" from an MP3 player or anything else; it was a carefully planned album from the very beginning.

seriously i hate how this rumor of it being a compo thrown together to fulfill conctract has spread over the years. i remember reading a bitter review in rolling stone or something right after the album came out because the critic had heard that was the case, and he gave it one star because he was all pissed off and being a little bitch without listening to the record.

all you gotta do is just listen to it, it's quite . . .

Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide...
cohesive

and quite . . .

Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide...
fucking amazing

and plus rdj explained in a recent interview that that album took him the most time to make.

I like DrukQs in fact it's "quite good", but I think it's a bit scattered, all over the place, I always felt that on certain tracks RDJ become a bit masturbatory, coming up w/ countless variations and so on. I much prefer ICBYD and the RDJ album

I can't believe I still haven't heard Druqks. Shame on me. I'll order it tomorrow.

But first.... SLEEP!

i don't think this has been discussed in this thread yet but i still find it strange that analord 10 has the aphex "A" symbol

why is it strange?

i don't think this has been discussed in this thread yet but i still find it strange that analord 10 has the aphex "A" symbol

why is it strange?

because i thought the name aphex twin was owned by a diferent label, warp and _____. and i'm sure the "a" would be as well. it's the aphex twin symbol, not the afx symbol yet it was released by rephlex

Guest blutac

or does he?

Surfing on Sine Waves

I Care Because You Do

RDJ

Drukqs

I seem to remember reading he only signed the latest contract before RDJ, so that means even including 26 mixes for cash only 3 albums

i want to get one of those playdo cutters, you know where you mash it down adn the playdo comes out in a shape, like a star or something? well i want to get one installed on my ass, so when i take a shit, i shit in the shape of the aphex twin logo.

Archived