IGNORED

EPS 1991 - 2002

Adamovich

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sprigg

So... where are We R Are Why and Spltrmx?

If they were in the collection, I would most likely buy.

+1

And also if it included the quadrange on cd.

Yup, Quadrange would have sold me, but for every reason already mentioned in the thread, I'll save my money.

i would really like to pay for these songs and get lossless audio copies of them, at least, if not have them on cd. damned vinyl exclusives and all that shit.

i would really like to pay for these songs and get lossless audio copies of them, at least, if not have them on cd. damned vinyl exclusives and all that shit.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7q11b5

Guest The Cheese

Mine arrived from Bleep this morning. It's all rather underwhelming really, I've got all the tracks already on the original vinyl, and most on CD single also, but thought having them all together would be handy.

I'm not even sure the idea of lumping together all the singles in one job lot is a good one even. There's too many different 'eras' of Autechre coming at you one after the other.

The packaging is really dull IMO. They could have at least included a booklet of some sort with it, showing the original artwork and giving release dates, stuff like that. Or even little historical anecdotes by Autechre for each EP with titbits such as what the track titles mean or what equipment was used. Just some form of interaction with the fans who are buying their box set would have been nice.

Unlike the pictures on Warpnet/Bleep, the text on the CDs is not white, just black on black, grey on grey, etc. So tiny it's almost impossible to read. The actual outer box itself, and the inner CD slipcases are minimal in the extreme, big slabs of different shades of grey with just the track titles debossed into the covers. Definate case of emporer's new clothes if this is the best the Designer's Republic can come up with these days.

Being a completist, I'm also bemoaning the fact the box set is not even actually complete. As has already been pointed out in this thread, several tracks/mixes and even some complete 12"s have been left off.

And I'm not happy that Bleep have turned out to be more expensive than just about every other retailer who have this release in stock. The fact Bleep 'gave' me the digital downloads too does not convince me either. I am fully capable of making my own digital copies if I want them, from the CDs I have bought. They could at least have thrown in a free sticker or something like that...

And lastly, Music Magpie value it at just £1.50 as a second hand item.

[/end rant]

Guest theSun

amazon says 1-2 weeks for mine basically.

i'm sort of excited, but i already bought the digitals off bleep over the past several years.

i'm thinking it will be cool to have in like 20-30 years

Guest mrguy

mine hasn't even been despatched.

Okay, despite bleep.com saying it hadn't been, apparently it has (came today).

Anyway, when ripping the cichlisuite/ep7 disc I came across this xV19u.png

I wouldn've noticed it if EAC didn't highlight it. Apparently the first track starts 9 minutes into the CD... Does this imply a hidden track 0? I don't have my CD player with me atm, so I can't check...

If not, anyone know what this is about? :/

Guest exper

mine hasn't even been despatched.

Okay, despite bleep.com saying it hadn't been, apparently it has (came today).

Anyway, when ripping the cichlisuite/ep7 disc I came across this xV19u.png

I wouldn've noticed it if EAC didn't highlight it. Apparently the first track starts 9 minutes into the CD... Does this imply a hidden track 0? I don't have my CD player with me atm, so I can't check...

If not, anyone know what this is about? :/

There was a hidden track on some copies of EP7, but I don't think it was that long. It's mostly pitchshifted drones and rumbles...

http://youtu.be/48OoZt5AFc0

And lastly, Music Magpie value it at just £1.50 as a second hand item.

[/end rant]

are you really that desperate to find stuff to complain about this box set for that you would bring up it's market value on a website that quite obviously caters to listeners of generic popular music?

fact: autechre is a niche market. even if you were to take your unopened copy of Quaristice Special Edition, or Lego Feet to a record shop to sell to them, you'd likely get peanuts for it. of course my comparison is slightly flawed, and i admit that (since this box set is no-where near the value of those items on the right second hand market) but my point still remains.

also another fact for you: when you bought your boxset from Bleep.com, it was clearly advertised to you that if you were to make a purchase you would be paying for a box set and digital downloads. the digital downloads were not bundled in free of charge. nobody forced you to buy from Bleep.com and the price was clearly available for you to see, as were the contents of the box set.

i'm most likely coming across as a raging autechre fanboy, or a cunt. i'm just trying to point out to all you butthutt people that are complaining about purchasing this boxset that you knew what you were buying. i have to admit, i can be quite an impulse buyer myself...i've done it way too many fucking times and as a consequence have come out either way out of pocket or annoyed (and sometimes even both). like my recent purchase of Crysis 2 for the PC.

i'm sure a lot of you that are complaining will either stop buying from Bleep altogether now, or at the very least will try to make an informed decision about where to buy your music from. lesson learned i guess? it's no hidden thing that Warp (and Bleep) have changed quite a lot over the years. No more freebies with purchases (not even so much as a sticker anymore) being just one of the changes.

also another fact for you: when you bought your boxset from Bleep.com, it was clearly advertised to you that if you were to make a purchase you would be paying for a box set and digital downloads. the digital downloads were not bundled in free of charge. nobody forced you to buy from Bleep.com and the price was clearly available for you to see, as were the contents of the box set.

Quite true, but there was no option to purchase without the downloads, which I would have since I owned the physical releases apart from Cavity Job. I had no idea that it would be available from other retailers. With the physical release, the download's value to me is precisely zero (apart from maybe half an hour of ripping discs). It would be relatively easy for Warp to leave a good impression with some kind of bonus, but as it stands I feel ripped off. I've now bought the EPs three times, effectively, and I'm not an idiot, so I resent being put in the position where I end up feeling like an idiot because I wanted to support Ae. That's not a good impression to leave your customers with.

Guest sirch

i'm most likely coming across as a raging autechre fanboy

dude, when are you ever not? haha ;)

i'm sure a lot of you that are complaining will either stop buying from Bleep altogether now, or at the very least will try to make an informed decision about where to buy your music from. lesson learned i guess?

word.

and imho i thought this release was entirely pointless and just a waste of time and money really.

i agree with pretty much everything 'The Cheese' has said.

but if you're an Ae fanboy i'm sure that you'll feel like you need this. even though if you are an Ae fanboy then you've most likely got all the tracks already! lol

and i think that's really tight on Warp's part that they didn't even include any sort of booklet or info or just anything 'special' with the release at all.

they really took the piss with this i reckon.

but like 'theSun' said, it'll probably be a good thing to have in like 20-30 years........ for those collector/resale types. you know who you are.

Guest The Cheese

Are we sure the downloads that come with the CDs are not classed as 'free' by Bleep? Maybe someone who's bought the album from somewhere else can shed some light on this for me.

Certainly with other recent Warp album (and single) releases that have been sold elsewhere, Amazon for just one example, they have had a download card included in the packaging with a link to the 'free' downloads hosted on the Bleep website. It could well be that those paying much less to buy this package from another source are still getting access to the same downloads as the rest of us. This happened with the Eno box set the other month for example.

The MP3 and WAV files are listed with a unit price of £0.00 on the little invoice/address label that Bleep use, further evidence that they are 'free' with purchase of the physical product, rather than factored into it's price.

I doubt very much that if there was an option to buy the album on Bleep without the downloads it would be sold any cheaper. It would still be £30 for the 5 CDs, not, say, £20 if you chose to forego the option of access to the downloads.

--

Nice spot by the person above that the 'hidden' track 0 from EP7 is there after all, hiding at the start of CD4. The 'run-out' silence at the front of the track is longer too, making it easier to manually rewind your CD to hear the full track. Press play and immediately hold down the rewind button on the CD player until the counter's gone back almost 10 minutes if you don't know how to find it. When track 0 finishes, there's just about 2 mins of silence before the first of the Cichlisuite tracks kicks in.

A 6th CD in the package would have been a good idea. Then they could have included those missing mixes/tracks, maybe also the video clips, maybe even something exclusive to make the purchase more value for money. And I'm sure, if given a couple of month's notice, TDR could have come up with a 6th shade of grey for the extra sleeve...

--

The Music Magpie reference was an obvious joke btw...I often run new purchases through their website to have a laugh at how much they value them at. For the record, Lego Feet has no barcode so they can't offer a price on that, and the 2CD metal sleeve version of Quaristice will net you £2.55 if you send it in to them.

Guest mrguy

Good stuff on the EP7 bonus track. I wasn't sure how to rewind it properly on my CD player to check, will try tonight... Being an AE noob, I wouldn't have known what it was, if I had managed to play it :p

imho i thought this release was entirely pointless and just a waste of time and money really.

You are wrong. It certainly wasn't pointless to me, I had been waiting for something like this to come along. I am sure many other people had as well. It is true that i could have bought all of this from the second hand market but the money from me doing that would have not gone to the right place. It may be pointless to those who bought the material when it was still originally in print but not so for me and probably quite a few others.

what we have here is a man among the beasts.

thanks again.

Thank you very much, kind sir!

Don't suppose Splitrmx is kicking around as well?

Guest sirch

imho i thought this release was entirely pointless and just a waste of time and money really.

You are wrong. It certainly wasn't pointless to me, I had been waiting for something like this to come along. I am sure many other people had as well. It is true that i could have bought all of this from the second hand market but the money from me doing that would have not gone to the right place. It may be pointless to those who bought the material when it was still originally in print but not so for me and probably quite a few others.

"Ka-Ching!!" Sold, to the man at the back in the hat.

I'm not at all upset that there wasn't anything extra included in the packaging or any bonus material. However, I will say that I would probably repurchase all of this material if it came with an extra CD worth of unreleased stuff or at least a booklet or something. But as I already own almost all of these they're not getting my money this time around.

Archived