IGNORED

EPS 1991 - 2002

Adamovich

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess is that warp has to make sure by contract that their releases stay in print which they are doing with this release as has been said before

"the losing touch" with their base is a broad comment referring to marketing and new signings. But I also think they could have released the EP's separately. I think the only reason the original artwork is not included is to make this "collection" seem more cohesive and less like a bundle. If they had tied a ribbon around a bunch of re-released original artwork cd cases, there would be a lot more curiosity as to why one couldn't just buy a selection of their favorites.

firstly, how do you know that they don't have day jobs?

secondly, i'm very sure that Sean and Rob are not rolling in money.

do not take my comments here as being any way inclined towards supporting or complaining about this release, i am merely stating the obvious.

1) Good point. They said in an interview at one point that they didn't have day jobs and I stupidly assumed that this was still the case.

2) I don't think that's relevant, at least not to my point. My point is just that Autechre is something that they do make money off of - we can assume that much, right? And that as far as I can tell, re-releasing previous work takes next to nil effort on the part of the original creators, at least when it's done through a major label that can handle all the printing, manufacturing, distributing, press, etc. Based on my very cursory knowledge of the music industry. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. Anyway, that point being that this release does not represent them doing their job, or at least one of their jobs: making new music.

At the very least, it's safe to say that this release has absolutely nothing to do with the kind of aesthetic gymnastics and voluptuous self-indulgence that makes/made Autechre great. They are/were auteurs' auteurs, and that is why I became a devoted fan immediately. But this is just - not even remade or recycled, but simply repackaged - old material, stripped of its format, album art, and much of its context.

My guess is that warp has to make sure by contract that their releases stay in print which they are doing with this release as has been said before

That's right, I remember Sean mentioned in an interview a long time ago something about this clause in their contract. That makes me feel less irritated about this release.

I guess I'm partly just grumpy because there hasn't been a damn thing new in a long time. I remember back when we could at least expect an interview every few months. Now I guess they have other stuff to do or maybe just nothing to talk about.

And yeah, I read a lot of interviews. Every one I can get my hands on.

it's been a year since Oversteps. it's been approximately 7 months since Move Of Ten (which regardless of what some say, definitely had new material in there).

hey, at least you're not a rabid Boards of Canada fan. you'd be fucked.

it's been a year since Oversteps. it's been approximately 7 months since Move Of Ten (which regardless of what some say, definitely had new material in there).

Yeah, but the radio silence has definitely increased in the last few years. Which is justifiable. Damn, moments like these make me feel like an addict. I should just make more tunes to get my fix.

hey, at least you're not a rabid Boards of Canada fan. you'd be fucked.

No shit...

Yes.

Also consider the target market here. If a fan wanted one of these CD EPs and then found it was out of print, they aren't going to pop on over to ebay and get a second-hand copy, they are going to go on Bittorrent and download the entire AE discography in one great whack.

This package gives them exactly that (well, the out of print bits).

Yeah, but the radio silence has definitely increased in the last few years. Which is justifiable. Damn, moments like these make me feel like an addict. I should just make more tunes to get my fix.

I think you (much like everyone else these days) have spoiled by the instant gratification of music and information that the internet provides.

Ae have been nigh-on prolific as of late, they've been actively touring, and they've been consistently brilliant and interested in pushing themselves over their entire career. Chillax, fellas! Even if Ae make more than me, which they probably do, I'd happily send Sean and Rob a $20 each, directly, as fucking patronage, for them to put to use in the advancement of their music, which probably just means it would go directly to shrooms, but whatever, it worked on Chiastic Slide.

Where was I? Right. FANWANK

Now give us moar gescom you lazy cunts!

I inferred it from the fact that there are any Autechre releases at all. I'm the same age as Booth / Brown (I think) and if I had to maintain musical creativity on top of my job and my family, you'd see one track a year from me I reckon. Frankly, choosing what music to buy and films to watch is pretty much my entire creative output.

I have a friend who's a visual artist beginning to enjoy a modest degree of success and he's had to quit his day job, not because he's making money (which he's definitely not) but because art requires headspace. Particularly as you get older and there are more things competing for that headspace.

Frankly, I'm offended by this release.

:facepalm:

stay calm. the waaaahmbulance has been called.

OH THANK GOODNESS

blah blah blah

so what you're saying is that you still actually don't know?

yeah. thought so.

Lol!

Guest ezkerraldean

Ae have been nigh-on prolific as of late, they've been actively touring, and they've been consistently brilliant and interested in pushing themselves over their entire career. Chillax, fellas! Even if Ae make more than me, which they probably do, I'd happily send Sean and Rob a $20 each, directly, as fucking patronage, for them to put to use in the advancement of their music, which probably just means it would go directly to shrooms, but whatever, it worked on Chiastic Slide.

Where was I? Right. FANWANK

Now give us moar gescom you lazy cunts!

this, bitches!

Watmm threads are so fucking predictably annoying.

In other news, I hate New Zealand broadband. Over the last few days, i've tried several times and can't get past 120mb with downloads...

Guest ezkerraldean

In other news, I hate New Zealand broadband. Over the last few days, i've tried several times and can't get past 120mb with downloads...

move to Romania

move to Romania

IN ROMANIE INTERNET SO FAST YOU HAVE ALBUM BEFORE YOU THINK ABOUT DOWNLOADING IT.

how do you know that they don't have day jobs?

I might have missed some irony or something a bit back, but I can remember an interview with one of Ae years ago (before I had internet at home) where he (whoever) said that they didn't have to do a day job anymore, like Aphex Twin and Squarepusher. Don't remember where this was, but that was about the best bit as the rest of it turned into a load of rambling pretentious bollocks about architecture. Unless of course they're not immune to the current financial climate. Pretty sure they must be better off than me though.

I might have missed some irony or something a bit back, but I can remember an interview with one of Ae years ago (before I had internet at home) where he (whoever) said that they didn't have to do a day job anymore, like Aphex Twin and Squarepusher. Don't remember where this was, but that was about the best bit as the rest of it turned into a load of rambling pretentious bollocks about architecture. Unless of course they're not immune to the current financial climate. Pretty sure they must be better off than me though.

yeah, 2 years ago i had a job also. but now i don't. the recession hit me :( just saying that what you read in an interview years ago maybe was true then, but could very well not be accurate now.

i'm very sure that this box set wasn't even autechre's idea, and was more about Warp keeping their contractual agreement that autechre releases be kept in print.

yeah, 2 years ago i had a job also. but now i don't. the recession hit me :( just saying that what you read in an interview years ago maybe was true then, but could very well not be accurate now.

i'm very sure that this box set wasn't even autechre's idea, and was more about Warp keeping their contractual agreement that autechre releases be kept in print.

That's a bastard dude, sad that it can happen to pretty much anyone now as well. And I wasn't being entirely flippant by the way, that interview might have been getting on for 10 ago years now. Before assuming that all the musical artists I follow are minted and able to devote their entire lives to producing music solely for my entertainment, I always remember that the records of the mighty Shellac are the result of a hobby of Albini, Weston and Trainer and not their day jobs (hence years between records releases, presumably). It might be interesting to know how many musicians of at least respectable stature might have to look further afield to make a living themselves.

I'd like Sean to come round my house and give me a few pointers on using synths. I'd also like Rob to come round, he can be just as involved with the synths. Maybe he'd prefer to as he likes making oblique sounds, I know how much Sean loves his beats. I would hug Sean, I don't think I'd ever let go. As I hug him a little bit of drool with mix with the tears falling from my eyes as I realise my sphincter is relaxing a little. As I hold Sean, Rob gently whispers in my ear that a new album is on the way and at that moment the walls disappear and we're floating through the ether, at peace and naked as the day we were born.

Autechre.

Archived