IGNORED

ceephax interview

rude_NHS

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol Chassis, really?

Great find on the interview, I thoroughly enjoyed it. That studio is mind blowing.. kind of puts my mpd18 and mpk25 to shame really haha - where can one find old hardware like that? I bet it is pretty pricey though.

where can one find old hardware like that? I bet it is pretty pricey though.

ebay

gearslutz

vintagesynth.com

analogue heaven

Synth shops (In big cities usually ie: Austin's Switched on, Rouge and other in NYC, Analogue Haven and others in CA..i dunno what canada has to offer)

etc

various places - craigslist, internets

yes most of it is pricey, granted a fair bit of it he's had for a good while, and he got them MUCH MUCH cheaper, and I imagine a few things may have been given to him.

Approximations on current prices:

Roland:

303 - $1800-2300 depending on condition or mods and accessories

707 - $200-300 (the cheapest of rolands aside from the 606)

909 - $1500-2400 (wide range)

808 - $1600-2500

sh-101 - $700-900

super jx - $400

Oberheim xpander - $2100-2700

korg ms 20 - $1000-2500 (depending on condition)

Oxford OSCar - $1500-7000 (condition, seller rep, location, it's the rarest of the bunch)

Yamaha tx802 - $250

Elektron sid station - $1000

Elektron Machine Drum - $650 (can' tell what version that is but i think it's the first)

amiga computer - $25 - $200

there's also an mpc 1000 (i think thats the one)

and a korg/yamaha/akai seq next to the 101 can't tell which one.

i dunno if that's another 303 or a 606 next to the monitor.

a little birdie told me a while ago that he had an octave cat, but i didn't see one, i couldn't see his whole rack either

Japanese locals can find korg, roland, and yamaha stuff cheaper

likewise Europeans can often find roland stuff cheaper because they were so popular and still are in European dance music (note that I said cheaper and not necessarily cheap)

Guest MrSparkle666

I never gave Andy a fair chance or really listened to his music because I always assumed he was just a pale imitation of his brother's earlier work. This interview has totally changed my perspective. I have to check this stuff out. I'm totally in love with what I'm hearing now.

Guest hahathhat

it was a good video

ebay

gearslutz

vintagesynth.com

analogue heaven

Synth shops (In big cities usually ie: Austin's Switched on, Rouge and other in NYC, Analogue Haven and others in CA..i dunno what canada has to offer)

etc

yes most of it is pricey, granted a fair bit of it he's had for a good while, and he got them MUCH MUCH cheaper, and I imagine a few things may have been given to him.

Roland:

808 - $1600-2500

sh-101 - $700-900

super jx - $400

Oxford OSCar - $1500-7000 (condition, seller rep, location, it's the rarest of the bunch)

Yamaha tx802 - $250

Elektron Machine Drum - $650 (can' tell what version that is but i think it's the first)

there's also an mpc 1000 (i think thats the one) hat edit: yes it is. but, sadly, you can't do acid with it

a little birdie told me a while ago that he had an octave cat, but i didn't see one, i couldn't see his whole rack either

likewise Europeans can often find roland stuff cheaper because they were so popular and still are in European dance music (note that I said cheaper and not necessarily cheap)

you forgot the price of the ceephax-mobile (a "crown" ?) and the jumpers

• 2 weeks later...
i wonder if that bit about people taking music too seriously sometimes was a reference to Squarepusher
"The biggest "electro-acoustic" influence on me by a long chalk was featured on the children's television programme "Rainbow". It consisted of a minute long animation, whereby a picture would construct itself first out of black lines appearing on a grey background, then spaces between the lines one by one filling themselves in. At length a picture would appear and become full colour. Each new part of the picture appearing was accompanied by a sound, often hilariously juxtaposed - big bassy rumbles next to little squeaks and bird twitters. That is a hunded times more important to me than 20th century composers because it had a sense of humour."Squarepusher interview

:cisfor: "THIS NOTE IS SO IMPORTANT!" - I thought of German minimal when I heard that. Like PSN pointed out, Tom seems to have the same outlook as his brother, he's made his fair share of fun tracks. And he plays a bass guitar like a badass!

awesome interview, very in-depth. reminds me a lot of the old SP interviews in his old home studio from 96. great to see the same format being applied in the post modern era. andy's got his shit sorted, great grass-roots attitude, all the inspiration and gear one could ask for, and a hyperactive imagination. ceephax forum.

Yeah I thought of that 96' interview too, especially the part where Tom plays around with the equipment and makes funny faces.

Guest yikes

ebay

gearslutz

vintagesynth.com

analogue heaven

etc

Roland:

808 - $1600-2500

sh-101 - $700-900

super jx - $400

Yamaha tx802 - $250

there's also an mpc 1000 (i think thats the one)

loling at brandi's synth fetish-YOU TWEEK GURL

fuck 50 pairs of shoes when you can have an oscar in your studio

unknown box looked like a qy700 ?

unknown box looked like a qy700 ?

close, it's a qy300.

also, someone mentioned something about the akai he was using, and i think that one's an s3000 based on some earlier pictures i had seen.

• 4 months later...

yep, definitely. i remember in the late 90's the going rate for an MS-20 was £250! 250!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i also purchased a fully functional Moog Prodigy for £240!!!!!!!!!!!!! and an MS-10 for £140 !!!!! lol

that was a lot of money to me tho when i was 17. - £140 is next to nothing now, tho.

man those were the days. prices are a fucking joke now! reeeeeeeeeediculously expensive!!!!!!!! even in Europe.

infact, especially in Europe!! well, the UK, anyway...

i'm pretty sure Andy has a 606, an if you're in the market for an analog (roland) drum machine is potentially the cheapest/best option

nah. Boss DR-110, or a Korg KPR-77... :)

Archived