IGNORED

Windows 8

Rubin Farr

Guest nene multiple assgasms

Looks pretty impressive for a tablet OS. I have a feeling that the touch interface will be optional for people with regular laptops/desktops, look at the screen when he switches to using word. It is pretty much just using windows 7(normal taskbar, aero, desktop). I will withhold my judgement until I see what other features it has. This is probably just the biggest innovation as far as windows 8 goes so they chose to show off this particular aspect.

Who knows though, maybe the classic interface has been gimped. maybe they will decide to keep pushing windows 7 and (codename)"windows 8" at the same time, push 8 for the casual desktop/tablet/ARM users and 7 for the business/windows power users. I don't know, I don't care, just keep updating windows 7.

yeah, the way to go is to allow users to revert to the older interfaces, so that they can make their system look and feel like windows 7 or xp if they want. who cares what the default looks like as long as you can change it back?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I almost decided I was going to try 7 Ultimate but, it's not worth it for the extra memory and directx11 yet unfortunately. 32bit to 64bit bridging is really buggy, I love the familiar simple XP interface, I've got too much 32bit software. Upgrading to DDR3 1600mhz, a pimp CPU and a solid state hard drive soon and I will still be using XP.

the main problem i see with it is, well, it's windows.

i love how the monitor on their "creative wall" has a wire dangling down from it. they couldn't bury that in the wall for their presentation? their attention to detail has never been more apparent.

i would have to start agin, software wise, if i wanted to upgrade to win7.

in fact i did a system rebuild recently and bought win7, tried 64 bit, nothing would run, tried compatibility modes, some stuff would run, tried 32 bit, different stuff would run.

i'm using xp pro again and it does everything fine. granted, it's a bit more of a faff with drivers and shit and it isn't as slick.. oh and there's the memory capacity.

but it runs all of my software and it runs it well. that's really all i need.

well...if you were running Windows 7 Ultimate, you would have access to what is called Windows XP Mode which is a fully licensed and legal copy of Windows XP Pro running in a virtual machine. All of your software would work flawlessly through that virtual machine. Of course, it depends on what your needs are though...if you're wanting to run music applications or things of that nature, you'd definitely be better off running XP natively rather than through a virtual machine.

but it sounds like you've found a solution that suits you perfectly, and there's something to be said for having a system and workflow that does exactly what you want it to.

was running ultimate. xp mode doesn't work properly. fails to recognize devices, fails to run certain software.

i'm not sure if running a 32-bit guest OS on a 64-bit host would still cause you problems, maybe someone else on here could answer that for you, but you could try 32-bit win7 with an xp guest OS. my guess is that would give you the best chance to do what you want to. if you don't have 32-bit ultimate win7, you can use virtual box, which is free and so easy to use. you would need a separate xp installation disc with a working key though. if you do go with virtual box, make sure you install the "guest additions" too.

wouldn't make any difference - the Windows XP environment is still virtualised, makes no difference whether the host is 64bit or 32bit.

32-bit software can run on a 64-bit OS just fine. In fact, most software released for Windows today are still 32-bit binaries. What software is causing these problems?

i don't think the issue here is with loganfive's 32bit apps not running in 64bit host OSs, it's more a likelihood of Microsoft changing shit way too much in Windows Vista and upwards. to be fair, if he's found a solution that works the way he wants, let him be. sometimes i do get the inkling to go back to XP, but then i'd lose 4GB of RAM

thanks oscillik, i wasn't sure about that.

here's an interesting article that says that, at least for vista (and likely win 7), the 4gb barrier in the 32-bit OS is something that was put in by MS through licensing, not any actual physical limitation:

http://www.geoffchappell.com/viewer.htm?doc=notes/windows/license/memory.htm

it's a pretty interesting read.

That 32-bit editions of Windows Vista are limited to 4GB is not because of any technical constraint on 32-bit operating systems. The 32-bit editions of Windows Vista all contain code for using physical memory above 4GB. Microsoft just doesn’t license you to use that code.

what's with all those nicely lit lifestyle photographs on the tiles? why do you need a picture of what looks like tim allen with goggles on his head on your desktop?

Fucking apps, fucking iWindows

Ugh. As an IT guy who's having trouble enough getting clients to move onto Windows 7 I don't need a new Windows OS specifically targetted at a consumer demographic to come and fuck things up.

waves vst shell doesn't work, wavelab works, but you can't open files, only create new ones. cubase works pretty well, but there are a few glitches.

in xp mode, the pc can not see my pci soundcard. in xp compatibility mode some stuff works and other stuff doesn't but the interface colours the audio output terribly.

tried both 64 and 32 bit installs of win7 before returning to xp.

don't get me wrong... win7 is slicker, it's better at finding and installing devices, and i do crave the extra memory accessibility (though i've hacked my xp install to be able to access up to 3gb which is the max it will see for any application.

i just fucking hate the 'oh you don't seem to have given us any money recently' feeling i get from microsoft, followed by the 'muh ha ha... backwards compatibility?... never heard of it mate, now BEND OVER'.

what the fuck - oooh you can have two "apps" (when did programs become apps) running together on the same screen? Can I resize the window? Fucking Windows gets it wrong again - they're trying to make one OS fit all solutions.

I would hate to see iOS on a computer, and Apple doesn't try and shovel it onto desktops/laptops.

I just tried a Windows 7 tablet, made by HP iirc. My review:

Horrible, horrible, horrible. Clunky. Laughable touch implementation with absolutely sluggish response. Typing on it was impossible. Just using it for five minutes made me want to frickin drop kick the thing against a brick wall. I wouldn't use it if someone gave it to me for free. Maybe I'd use it as a stage prop, and set it on fire.

0/5

(when did programs become apps)

When apple claimed "app" wasn't a generic term; this be the genericizing backlash!

Looks fine to me. Since it's basically running Windows 7 in the background, you could still do everything you could do before. I wouldn't mind being able to quickly access things like weather and twitter feeds when the machine first boots up. All you have to do is click/touch a little tile, and you can use the classic interface as usual.

If there aren't many other features that have yet to be revealed, there will be little reason for Windows 7 users to pay for an upgrade, but the new features are meant computers/devices which haven't hit the market yet. For laptops that have detachable or swivel touch screens, this could be an excellent solution. And for the traditional desktop or laptop, it's probably possible to disable the new interface altogether.

what the fuck - oooh you can have two "apps" (when did programs become apps) running together on the same screen? Can I resize the window? Fucking Windows gets it wrong again - they're trying to make one OS fit all solutions.

I would hate to see iOS on a computer, and Apple doesn't try and shovel it onto desktops/laptops.

Well, hopefully Apple will handle it better with Lion, their next upgrade to OS X (due to be unveiled on Monday).

Personally, I want MS to keep going in this backwards direction so Apple can get greater and greater market share, and one day, OS X will be a viable competitor in the corporate space. Surprisingly, Apple is seeing an increase in corporate adoption of OS X, so hopefully Microsoft just keeps going on like they have been. :emotawesomepm9:

Well, hopefully Apple will handle it better with Lion, their next upgrade to OS X (due to be unveiled on Monday).

Personally, I want MS to keep going in this backwards direction so Apple can get greater and greater market share, and one day, OS X will be a viable competitor in the corporate space. Surprisingly, Apple is seeing an increase in corporate adoption of OS X, so hopefully Microsoft just keeps going on like they have been. :emotawesomepm9:

yeah its going pretty much downhill since balmer is in charge:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/228714/ballmer_needs_to_step_down_says_hedge_fund_manager.html

apple has probably gained more users because of their peripheral devices than ms sucking but it certainly doesn't hurt. I just hope if/when apple's os gets big it doesn't come with hordes of virus attacks.

seems like they're trying to get rid of the virtual desktop concept. makes sense IF cloud computing becomes the standard. i hope it doesn't tho. while at the same time i feel the virtual desktop concept is getting a lil bit dated.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/lion/

:cisfor:

fuuuuuuu.png

Fucking lol:

"Say goodbye to hunting for the app you need in the applications folder"

"Group apps in folders by dragging one app on top of another."

Ah but to be fair - launchpad is simply an option for displaying apps - you have to run it from the dock (or apps folder)

Fucking lol:

"Say goodbye to hunting for the app you need in the applications folder"

"Group apps in folders by dragging one app on top of another."

lol :facepalm:

edit: when is ios5 due out?

Archived