IGNORED

The 90s: The Weirdest Decade?

vamos scorcho

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't imagine what it would have been like to grow up in the 50s and 60s, some relatively crazy ass shit was going down then too. All kinds of revolutions in music and film and space technology.

i spent the 90s reading Encarta 95.

i spent the 00s reading wikipedias.

Lol, me and my brother were just discussing amusing sound bites from Encarta 96/98. We looked at that shit all of the time.

And now I go on Wikipedia binges. Are there still Encartas being published?

Edit: 2004 is the latest I can find. '99 was epic.

Edit 2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encarta (wikipedia lol) 2009 is the latest, they're done making them D:

The 90's were pretty cool. I liked that there was a brief psychedelic revival in pop culture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uibMMmcr3rc

The 80's were indeed weirder though.

Examples...

Guest Calx Sherbet

No. You just happened to grow up in the 90s, and remember your childhood as being more colorful than your drab present.

We all do.

i highly doubt this is just an illusion...

90s was a time for just receiving my independence, military, college, work, marriage, raves, clubs. 2000s is where I mellowed out from most.

Nothing says independence like military, work and marriage!

haha nice.

i was around 15 when the 90s started but i remember the 90s seemed to have a lot of things going on at once. hip hop rose tremendously, grunge as well, shitty techno really got popular too. lots going on in those days. things were much nicer in some ways without all this technology.

Can we just get on with this 90;s revival thing already, so we can move on to drill and bass and micromusic and everything else that happened in the early 00's/

Can we just get on with this 90;s revival thing already, so we can move on to drill and bass and micromusic and everything else that happened in the early 00's/

That's what I've been thinking. The recent 80's revival makes me want to die.

I was always grateful that I didn't grow up in the 80's. And then the late 2000's-present happened. Except we don't get a punk movement (or Reagan :D)

I miss those minimal dance songs of 2001. They were so short-lived.

90s was a time for just receiving my independence, military, college, work, marriage, raves, clubs. 2000s is where I mellowed out from most.

Nothing says independence like military, work and marriage!

haha nice.

lol

also,

Yes, the 80s were strange days... but the 90s were..weird. Not like, wacky weird.. the level of oddness is so mundane that I can't even put my finger on it.

this.

i spent the 90s reading Encarta 95.i spent the 00s reading wikipedias.
Lol, me and my brother were just discussing amusing sound bites from Encarta 96/98. We looked at that shit all of the time.And now I go on Wikipedia binges. Are there still Encartas being published?Edit: 2004 is the latest I can find. '99 was epic.Edit 2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encarta (wikipedia lol) 2009 is the latest, they're done making them D:

This came with the first PC my parents bought, back in 92 if I remember correctly. It had these lovely pixelated illustations and low-bit video of a venus flytrap and the Hindenburg disaster.

TWEncy_1.jpg

That's what I've been thinking. The recent 80's revival makes me want to die.I was always grateful that I didn't grow up in the 80's. And then the late 2000's-present happened. Except we don't get a punk movement (or Reagan :D) I miss those minimal dance songs of 2001. They were so short-lived.

The 80s revival is just so...superficial? I think that the early 90's aesthetic is getting muddled with it too, i.e. the chillwave stuff. I can see how the watmmers who lived through that decade are put off by it. Oh well, maybe big beat, neo-grunge, and slick R&B is about to go through it's fad revival soon.

Punk has been hilarious to me for years now. It's either kids who get signed and make poppier albums or 40, 50 year has beens (i.e. NOFX) Remember these comps? I tried but never got into those scenes. I know literally one sincere DIY punk guy from high school. He's a burned out anarchist who now runs a venue and works with disabled kids in public schools as a day job. Every other high school punk kid either moved on to other music (metal, indie, electronic) or simply stop caring. The few who didn't just became douchebags in college, but even they gave up eventually.

Rock_Against_Bush,_Vol._1.jpg

VAWarpedTour2003Compilation.jpg

^One of my favorite amazon reviews was a guy sarcastically praising a Dead Kennedy's remaster (done without Jello Biafra's permission) saying "yes, now kids can crank out 'holiday in cambodia' from their moms Chevy suburban on the way to their day and Vans Warper Tour!"

Guest Z_B_Z

the 60s were the weirdest you noob.

no doubt. Lincoln was assainated and they invented skiing.

says the man stuck in the 90s.

the 60s were the weirdest you noob.

no doubt. Lincoln was assainated and they invented skiing.

says the man stuck in the 90s.

of course, look at the whips from the 90s

310px-Benz-velo.jpg

for real I hope I don't come off as someone clinging to some specific time. to be clear, they have all been miserable for me because I'm a grumpy fuck.

Archived