IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

Had a big meeting with my PhD supervisors today, both lovely guys, but it looks like unless I go out into the real world and do some interviews and shit then my thesis is in the crapper. Problem is I have absolutely no idea who to talk to/how to approach this. Thinking of talking to people in software/app design because I'm interested in the way people's personal data can be used to map out a picture of them and then intervene in stuff that until recently was totally private, e.g. health apps and the way they kind of 'nudge' people into certain choices. But again, not really sure how to approach this.

Kind of a relief in some ways, I've hit a bit of a wall with desk-based/analytical stuff and it's probably something I needed to be pushed into but hoooo boy, have I got a lot of work to do.

Had a big meeting with my PhD supervisors today, both lovely guys, but it looks like unless I go out into the real world and do some interviews and shit then my thesis is in the crapper. Problem is I have absolutely no idea who to talk to/how to approach this. Thinking of talking to people in software/app design because I'm interested in the way people's personal data can be used to map out a picture of them and then intervene in stuff that until recently was totally private, e.g. health apps and the way they kind of 'nudge' people into certain choices. But again, not really sure how to approach this.

Kind of a relief in some ways, I've hit a bit of a wall with desk-based/analytical stuff and it's probably something I needed to be pushed into but hoooo boy, have I got a lot of work to do.

Good luck. Mate just got a job with OFGEM after finishing his PhD in airplane carbon offsetting. Any scholarships open to you?

Yeah, I'm very lucky, I'm pretty much fully funded by a scholarship, so it's only reasonable that I go out and earn it. I'm coming up to the end of my first year, so there's still plenty of time to get things on track, just managed to get a bit lost in my own wee bubble over the last few months and was probably deluding myself about being able to do largely theoretical/noodly-wanky stuff. It's a necessary kick up the arse, really. Onwards and upwards...

Someone on my friends list posted an article full of insane child-birth photos which I foolishly clicked on.  I checked out 2 of the 12 pages and now I feel slightly nauseous.

Friends list? Like on FB?

Man, FB itself is a FWP

Yeah... all these people I'm complaining about... no idea who they are.  Presumably they know me for some reason.  I've put more people on ignore in the last couple weeks than ever before.  I'm only on facebook for Scrabble and occasional music promo, but everything else on there is trying to ruin my life, and it's succeeding.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

I just lost all my presets in Adobe Audition. I wanna destroy something!

This is a blessing in disguise!

Today I've somehow become a headhunter for voice over talent, calling and emailing a bunch of people when I'm technically only the engineer. The client decided last minute they wanted the first voice over talent they approved when they had already said they didn't want him and we already had a second voice over talent booked. Now that first talent isn't available and I'm scrambling to find someone they like out of 6 people. But first, they want to know if they are available BEFORE they choose which talent they want. fuuuuuu---

Gas company came out to my rental place, immediately shut off the gas water heater and pointed out that carbon monoxide is venting directly into the home. Awesome. Landlord called an HVAC guy who actually damn near fell backwards when he went to check the venting. Landlord isn't happy with the bid to replace the whole thing so now he's calling electricians to get a rush job done. Meanwhile, I haven't showered or washed clothes in a few days, and I'm being slowly poisoned. :cisfor:

(and yes, I know the legal steps I have to take to make sure the LL takes care of this. Just about to send another certified letter... and if we get no hot water in the next 48 hours (i'm being gracious) I'll demand we be put up in a hotel until it can be fixed.)

Edited by luke viia

Today I've somehow become a headhunter for voice over talent, calling and emailing a bunch of people when I'm technically only the engineer. The client decided last minute they wanted the first voice over talent they approved when they had already said they didn't want him and we already had a second voice over talent booked. Now that first talent isn't available and I'm scrambling to find someone they like out of 6 people. But first, they want to know if they are available BEFORE they choose which talent they want. fuuuuuu---

What language are we taking about? I worked for a huge voice over company until a couple of months ago and I'm still in contact with some of the talents

What language are we taking about? I worked for a huge voice over company until a couple of months ago and I'm still in contact with some of the talents

French and English, but it has to be local talent most of the time since the client is usually the provincial government. But I do get VO work outside of the province once in a while.

Ordered a meat lovers pizza and got a veggie, wtf, also fuck you guys

FFS that's shit. I tend to stress eat sometimes, after a really brutal week (which it sounds like you're having with the f'ing gas leak and stuff) I'll order some za or grab a burger or whatever. Makes it that much worse when you get the wrong order. >=(

edit: and for it to be the complete opposite of what you wanted is even worse.

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

There was a clog in our kitchen sink. We don't have a garbage disposal, so we had to disconnect the pipe to clean it. After clearing the clog, the elbow joint burst when reconnecting it. So I got a new one (after two trips to the hardware store to get the right one). It's tightened so it doesn't leak, but now it won't drain like it did before.

I'm about to fucking rage quit on this piece of shit.

We contacted the landlord, but I'm pretty sure she's out of the country and drunk right now.

Yeah, everyone should... but it's so useful for typing messages to people quickly rather than texting them at a snail's pace.  And Scrabble.

FWP: I was just watching the seconds on a track I was listening to and being startled by how fast they go by.  This was followed immediately by a memory of being a kid listening to the seconds tick by on the clock and being surprised by how slow they seemed to move.  I remember the subjective experience of a second going by seeming roughly twice as long as it does now.  That's kind of unnerving.  I think the "time goes by much faster the older you get" cliche phrase has some literal truth to it.  The next 10 years I'm sure will fly by in what would have seemed like 5 in my early 20's.  Also my parents, aunts and uncles are all hitting that awkward age where people shuffle off this mortal coil, not unexpectedly.  lol I didn't realize this post was going to become so grim so fast.  Happy Mother's Day, watmm.

Ordered a meat lovers pizza and got a veggie, wtf, also fuck you guys

FFS that's shit. I tend to stress eat sometimes, after a really brutal week (which it sounds like you're having with the f'ing gas leak and stuff) I'll order some za or grab a burger or whatever. Makes it that much worse when you get the wrong order. >=(

edit: and for it to be the complete opposite of what you wanted is even worse.

Ya, this always happens on the rare occasion I dine at Mcdonalds or Carls Jr. Always ask for no cheese (im down with cheese, just not the fake shit they put on their burgers) and they inevitably put cheese on it. 

Jury service has finished and I went in to work for a half day every day due to not being selected for any cases during the two weeks. Had been hoping for two weeks of being home and not working. Bleh.

Edited by Bechuga

Fuck, just received this

I'm Special Agent James Britt Johnson from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Field Intelligence Groups (FIGs). We have just intercepted and confiscated two trunks at John F Kennedy International Airport in New York, NY 11430 coming from a foreign country.

We crosschecked the content of the boxes and found it contained a total sum of US$10,000,000.00 (Ten Million United States Dollars). Also with one of the trunks were documents with your name as the receiver of the money. As we progressed in our investigations of the Diplomat which accompanied the trunks into the United States we learned that he was to deliver these funds to your residence as payment of an inheritance/winning, which was due to you.

Further checks on the consignment, we found out that the consignment paperwork lacked the PROOF OF OWNERSHIP CERTIFICATE AND LEGAL DELIVERY PERMIT CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE forms. We then confiscated both trunks and released the Diplomat.

The trunks According to section 229 subsection 31 of the International, Commerce Regulators Code Enforcement Guidelines, your consignment lacks PROOF OF OWNERSHIP CERTIFICATE AND LEGAL DELIVERY PERMIT CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE from the joint team of Homeland Security and therefore you must contact us for direction on how to procure the two certificates, so that you can be relieved of the charges of evading tax which is a jail offense under section 12 subsection 441 of the Tax Code. We will also be asking the IRS to launch an investigation of money laundering if you do not follow our instructions.

You are therefore required to contact me within 72 hours on this email at that point I will walk you through the process of clearing and claiming the money.

Failure to comply may lead to your arrest, interrogation and/or you being prosecuted in the Court of Law for tax evasion and or money laundering. You are also advised not to contact any bank in Africa, Europe or banking institution. We sincerely apologized for sending you this sensitive information via e-mail instead of a certified mail, post-mail, phone or face to face conversation, it's due to the urgency and importance of the security information of our citizens. Today, I issue you this code for communication (G11) which must be contained both in the subject and at the end of any of my email letter to you, This is for your own good.

Once I hear from you, I will instruct further.

Regards,
Agent James Britt Johnson (G11).

Can someone pick these trunks up for me? I don't even live in America. I will gladly give you some of the proceeds of the trunks. I don't want to be arrested for not paying tax in a country I don't live in.