IGNORED

The Field - Looping State Of Mind

Guest Enter a new display name

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

excited but I kind of wish he had a different cover art for his albums...

What are you talking about? The font changes color in every release!

Whoop de doo, more looped Kate Bush microsamples.

(I have never understood what seems to be the mass appeal of The Field. Can anybody explain what I am missing?)

the same thing i'm missing when i can't understand the mass appeal of Burial or Zomby

The Field is good, if not overshadowing other artists. I think he makes some beautiful melodies, I don't want to listen to them very much anymore because they were played out, and the music's value is mostly from those melodies [the music can be boring when you know it too well, I don't hear many details at all].

Is The Field Gold Panda?

The Field's style is influential for a lot of artists, I bet. Looping small fragments of a song to make a melody or harmony. It's not necessarily new, but the exposure was big because of Pitchfork. I think it was definitely rightful exposure. There are some genuinely memorable songs that have stuck with me over the years listening to From Here We Go Sublime.

The Field is massively appealing because his music is good upon first listen. It doesn't take much repeat listens to uncover anything. This can be a very endearing quality in music, for something to be obviously good right away. The Field is 100X better than Akufen because his music has a purpose of melody that is meaningful. In my opinion, of course.

I associate The Field, Steve Reich, and the Beach Boys for some reason. Oh, and the first Deerhunter album, back when they made experimental music.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

i think the only criticism you can have of the field is that his tracks are very repetitive and don't often go anywhere in all that time.

sometimes that level of repeat makes me teeth clench

i think the only criticism you can have of the field is that his tracks are very repetitive and don't often go anywhere in all that time.

sometimes that level of repeat makes me teeth clench

agreed. I think the repetition is what makes it, it just doesn't have to be for 10 minutes all the time.

I don't know what to think of this guy really, neither of his albums has really impressed me but I do sense some underlying potential there...

A sad thing for those blessed with golden ears is that both of his full-lengths are lossy mastered. It's not something an average guy would notice, but the idea of buying mp3s burned onto a disc is ever so dull.

Who are you even trying to convince to like The Field? Awepittance? This guy is biased anyway.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

A sad thing for those blessed with golden ears is that both of his full-lengths are lossy mastered. It's not something an average guy would notice

u r so special 2 me

Archived