IGNORED

Daphne Oram - Daphne Oram Tapes Vol.1

Redruth

• 1 month later...
Guest Timewriter

Listening now for the first time...(gulp)...absolutely magnificent. Lots of her very dark materials, some of considerable length (8/12mins)...yes...oh yes. If you want frothy jingle-style bleeps, don't bother. If you want the minimalist noir ambient brilliance (like 'Hamlet') - get it!

Guest Greg Reason

oh my goodness does this look lush

I think I'll have to shell out for it, proper good christmas present for myself I think...

Guest Timewriter

oh my goodness does this look lush

I think I'll have to shell out for it, proper good christmas present for myself I think...

Go on, treat yourself.

• 1 month later...

This really is fantastic. I've just read a book of hers that really expanded my perception of electronic sound synthesis, and to be able to sink into over 2 hours of sound is really nice. I need to pick up the earlier Oram comp on Young Americans as well... is it more melodic pieces?

Guest analogue wings

Nice matte finish too!

Would have liked a few notes on each track - at the very least what year it was done, is it oramics, collage, field recording etc.

This is very dense and dark stuff mostly, and I'm amazed how much it sounds like SAWII (less the happy ones)

• 1 month later...

Boomkat have just listed a new 2CD version of this, by the way. If you didn't want to splash out on the pricey 4LP edition, this one is more reasonable, though I've no idea if that tracklisting is identical or not. Seems to have some liner notes this time too.

333.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

i really really want to get this but currently don't think i can afford it. i recently purchased the f.c. judd compilation 'electronics without tears' and wanted something in the same vein- but i'm not familiar at all with daphne oram's work besides clips i've listened to on youtube and boomkat. would you recommend springing for this anyway?

• 1 month later...
Guest Aces

I got this a month or so ago now. I absolutely adore it. Really some of the best stuff I've heard in a long time. I need to get my hands on the Oramics comp as well.

I along with ieafs would love to see Delia Derbyshire's work get the same sort of treatment.

Archived