IGNORED

please recommend me some new music

I don't know if it's okay to make a thread like this, but I haven't had a new musical discovery for at least almost year, and I'm getting a bit desperate to find some new stuff.

I really like:

music with a sense of humor

cute melodies

australians

funk

160-180 bpm

originality

artist likeability

lo-fi

cut-up

I don't like:

repetition

dick waggling

pretention

electric guitar solos

overuse of glitch

things that are supposed to sound super "gritty" (distortion is ok with me though)

I love, but have absolutely worn out acid.

I am extremely well versed in breakcore, and things published on rephlex, so I don't need more of either of those.

I want to know more drum n bass.

I want to find more ambient like The Caretaker.

I want more cut-up like this

I want more folktronica like Silje Nes and Bogdan's MyLoveILove

I want anything that's batshit crazy, genre breaking, and unique, like candie hank, goodiepal, and nero's day at disneyland

and more than anything, I am totally open to new things.

plz help

I don't like:

repetition

pretention

overuse of glitch

things that are supposed to sound super "gritty" (distortion is ok with me though)

I want to find more ambient like The Caretaker.

:cerious:

caretaker did some really nice things under his own name this year in case you've missed it

can also recommend grouper's first album "way their crept" for some ghostly escapist ambient

Trust me, I've loved this album to bits since the first time I heard it in like 2007. It was my introduction to EOD, Chevron and a few others, and when I heard it I already loved 7u?, Shitmat, and Toecutter. I wish there was anything else like it. I have the "Whatever!" and "Etc" comps from wrong music, which have a lot of the same people, but they aren't nearly as good.

:cerious:

caretaker did some really nice things under his own name this year in case you've missed it

can also recommend grouper's first album "way their crept" for some ghostly escapist ambient

I do not think that the caretaker is either pretentious or overly repetitious, and I am familiar with Leyland Kirby and all of V/VM's other work as well.

I will definitely check out "Way Their Crept". thanks for that

are we talking brand new stuff or new stuff you haven't yet heard even if its a few years old?

All I care about is it being new to me.

I know some good drum and bass that I've been listening to very much recently. You probably already know it. Also, it's more of the repetitive original style but it's good.

A Guy Called Gerald - Black Secret Technology

Spring Heel Jack - 68 Million Shades

I don't know, to me it seems more like Goodiepal is not pretentious, but incredibly eccentric (aka crazy) and a great troll. I mean, I don't think he released a track of him whistling "My Heart Will Go On" and honestly considered it to be a great work of radical computer music. Any way about it, I do love him.

James Pants and Madlib are the first names that popped in my head after reading what you like.

JAMES PANTS

http://www.discogs.com/artist/James+Pants

http://jamespants.tumblr.com/

MADLIB

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Madlib

madlibs medicine show is definitely worth checking out. specifically #6 :music:

checking out madlib, james pants, guy called gerald's "black secret technology", grouper's "way their crept", and all the stuff tauhid posted.

Good suggestions guys.

keep em comin'

Do you listen to Ceephax?

edit

also,

if you wan't to get into more drum and bass, here is a good start...

http://www.discogs.c.../release/183739

Also, anything on Suburban Base records between 93 and 96 should be good. You should also look into Rewind Records, Technical Itch, Remarc, Bizzy B, DJ Zinc & DJ Hype (Ganja Records), Marvelous Cain and Congo Natty.

Have a look here... http://goldenerajung...-files/news.php

"Syndicated" - Mystical Influence

"Urban Jungle" - DJ 3D

"Agent Orange" - Dr Groo

"Think Twice" - Phantom 45

"Reminiscence of a Rudeboy" - Curious?

"Jungle Book Vol 1" - DJ 3D

You can download all of them and more.

Other DJs you should look into are Dextrous, Kenny Ken, Brockie, DJ Hype, DJ Zinc, R.A.W. and Timestretch.

Most jungle/dnb was best between 93-96. Technical Itch, however, was good up until he recently switched to dubstep.

Do you listen to Ceephax?

I made my girlfriend drive me for 4 hours to Chicago so I could see him live. (she enjoyed it too so I wasn't being a dick)

anyway, basically, yes x10.

see my edit

lovely. I am actually pretty familiar with the golden era dnb & jungle stuff, and have a good collection of it. DJ Zinc, Technical Itch, and site are all great tip-offs though and I have to investigate further.

When I said I want to know more drum n bass, I was thinking about stuff like dgoHn, because I've only heard little bits of that type of drum n bass, and it intrigues me. For a long time before I discovered the old school stuff, I wouldn't listen to any dnb because all I had heard was like, Dom & Roland and other ultra dramatic stuff with no real musicality.

I don't know, to me it seems more like Goodiepal is not pretentious, but incredibly eccentric (aka crazy) and a great troll. I mean, I don't think he released a track of him whistling "My Heart Will Go On" and honestly considered it to be a great work of radical computer music. Any way about it, I do love him.

Yeah, I agree with you - though I largely interpret anyone who puts a 500 kronor bill inside every copy of a vinyl LP with no music on it to be just a *little* pretentious. And honestly, that's okay - some of the greatest artists in history were pretentious because they knew just how great they were. And, as Mr. Wonka once said...

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men"

Archived