IGNORED

Grimes - Visions

Redruth

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, do male artists ever get compared to female artists? it's just a stupid thing, it'll probably go away in a couple of generations.

edit: that's a response to female artists getting compared to other female artists, not in general.

Edited by Gocab

Guest Lucy Faringold

I wish I could find the Grimes interview I read that convinced me shes completely retarded.. had a look and couldn't find it again. but she threw a fit about being compared to Kate Bush, obviously totally ignorant to what an awesome and generous compliment that is. then she bragged anout having only recently getting garage band and trying to make tunes, as if her inexperience gave her an edge over people who had cared about music longer than her.

She doesn't like being constantly compared to Kate Bush because she's never listened to Kate Bush. Also unless you can post the article I'm calling bullshit on your claim she was "bragging about only recently getting garageband."

Guest Lucy Faringold

Not knowing how to play music is my greatest asset,” she says. “I try to imitate things, and then I fail horribly, and then it’s just…something different.

Yeah, if you've got a problem with statements as mild as that then I dunno what to say.

Guest Backson

I wish I could find the Grimes interview I read that convinced me shes completely retarded.. had a look and couldn't find it again. but she threw a fit about being compared to Kate Bush, obviously totally ignorant to what an awesome and generous compliment that is. then she bragged anout having only recently getting garage band and trying to make tunes, as if her inexperience gave her an edge over people who had cared about music longer than her.

I don't know much Grimes and I don't claim to be a fan, but you sounded like a gigantic wanker just there.

Also, I'm pretty sure every upcoming artist ever hates being compared to that one historic band from their genre.

• 3 weeks later...

I love Oblivion, and the album cover is ace so I might buy this album.

On the flipside, I hate the video for Vanessa. Such a talented musician, doing silly attention seeking stuff with facepaint.

Maybe I'm just bitter?

maybe, i really love that track

I really don't like the music at all, but she's very cute in a mildly awkward, awkwardly outgoing kind of way. i'm on the fence regarding her lisp though.

• 3 weeks later...

http://hangout.altsounds.com/news/144617-grimes-premieres-video-oblivion-vevo.html

"

Grimes Premieres Video For "Oblivion" On VEVO"

This new set incorporates influences as wide as Enya, TLC and Aphex Twin, whilst drawing from genres like New Jack Swing, IDM, New Age, K-pop, Industrial and glitch resulting in a record that is both otherworldly and futuristic.

enya, tlc, and aphex twin?

:derp::facepalm:

Guest Backson

i liked Oblivion, and felt like I needed to hear something current (i didn't hear much new stuff last year) so I just went "fuck it" and bought the album.

pretty good. not my type of thing but nice to listen to, kind of dreamy. dunno, gotta listen more. at least i feel "modern" now...

also, I haven't heard a lot of female producers. so yay for Grimes.

i'm on the fence regarding her lisp though.

fuck man! i didn't notice at first, but now I can't unhear.... god damn!

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

heard it few a couple times now and genesis and oblivion stand out. liking very much. i hate the first track, i nearly shut it off when i first gave it a listen luckily i didnt

• 2 months later...

I really like this album -- how similar are the previous ones? How are they different? I just really like her layering of melodies, especially.

Guest CraniumXII

Not knowing how to play music is my greatest asset,” she says. “I try to imitate things, and then I fail horribly, and then it’s just…something different.

Yeah, if you've got a problem with statements as mild as that then I dunno what to say.

Couple that quote with this one:

“It all started because one day my friend and I did lots of speed, and then we were making music together, and then I guess he stopped being on speed but I was still on speed like all night so then I just went into my room and I made the song number three on the album – I forget what it’s called, and then I was like wow, this song’s so much better than anything I’ve ever made, and then I think I made song number two that night too, and then I made all the [other] songs probably within a month and a half..."

She seems like a real winner :/

I only heard the track Oblivion, and it was really bad... IMHO.

Guest Lucy Faringold

I really like this album -- how similar are the previous ones? How are they different? I just really like her layering of melodies, especially.

Geidi Primes is really rough but still charming. Just loop experiments basically. You have to check Halfaxa though. It's less polished and consistent than Visions but there's some fucking incredible tracks on there that you will fall in love with.

I downloaded the first two albums just because they were free, and I liked them a lot more than I expected to, especially the second one. I'll pick up Visions when I can be arsed, it's always nice to find a new artist on 4AD I actually like.

Is she genuinely a Dune geek or did she just google most of the Geidi Primes titles?

EDIT: this thread made me put Geidi Primes on again. It reminds me of how I imagined Jodorowsky's Dune would've ended up.

Edited by Caretstik

Man I can't believe that even on here nobody has mentioned this, but has nobody else noticed how much Grimes - Vowels = Space and Time sounds like Aphex Twin - On?

Seriously, listen to the first thirty seconds of those two tracks side by side. The Grimes track sounds so similar that at first I was convinced it was just sampled.