IGNORED

Comic Books / Graphic Novels thread

Rubin Farr

Image Comics has launched an old-school mail order subscription service: http://www.newsarama.com/23227-image-launches-mail-order-subscription-service.html

This is cheaper than buying from your local shop, but still more than a preorder service. :shrug:

edit -

I also just finished:

Volume 8 of Scalped (Jason Aaron), this shit is approaching Preacher level greatness.

Volume 3 of Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman run, which I think is the best superhero book of the last 3-4 years.

Edited by doublename

Having not read any of these I found the Humble comics bundle to be a decent offering. https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Edited by Gocab

• 3 weeks later...

edit -

I also just finished:

Volume 8 of Scalped (Jason Aaron), this shit is approaching Preacher level greatness.

I recently finished the Scalped series and am dying for more! I can't believe how good this was. I was thinking 100 bullets might be the best sprawling crime series, but Scalped IMO has surpassed it. The only gripe I have is I didn't like the guest artist who came in around Volume 4 as R.M Guera totally nailed it with the look. internet says they're supposed to turn it into a TV series...

just started Thief of Thieves which is enjoyable so far

• 1 month later...

Gekiga-Style Manga Pioneer Yoshihiro Tatsumi Passes Away

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-03-08/gekiga-style-manga-pioneer-yoshihiro-tatsumi-passes-away/.85748

yoshihiro-tatsumi-tatsumi-portrait-sessi

Without him, none of the serious work Japan produced would exist--gekiga influencing Katsuhiro Otomo & Tezuka among many others--nor would we have the fantastic brick of a book called A Drifting Life, which I highly recommend if you have even a vague liking of Japanese comics and would like to know more how Japan came to be one of the few countries in the world where comics are still bought in the hundreds of thousands, some of them even selling millions (One Piece, Naruto etc).

He was working on a follow up to A Drifting Life, which I hope will still see release, even if he did not complete it.

Edited by Bechuga

• 2 weeks later...

DC is making a big deal out of pulling this cover, saying it promotes rape. Really?? Now fictional characters have to be ass all PC as well? These days Killing Joke wouldn't even get published.

654CB316-4C63-46A8-A8F9-928957D42608_zps

DC handles its female characters appallingly (see: current Wonder Woman run) , but backing down over a run of the mill cover like this is embarrassing.

Edited by doublename

Is it because the collar isn't zipped all the way up?

Or rather, because a collar exists that may look as if it's partly unzipped?

DC is making a big deal out of pulling this cover, saying it promotes rape. Really?? Now fictional characters have to be ass all PC as well? These days Killing Joke wouldn't even get published.

654CB316-4C63-46A8-A8F9-928957D42608_zps

Heard about this... it's really stupid, as that is some great artwork and a good homage to events that are cannon to the Batman story (The Killing Joke). Although it's never explicitly stated that he did rape her back in that arc, which is why this whole debate is stupid. It is shown that he did photograph her naked after shooting her, but I think it was more about making Babs look vulnerable to get under Jim Gordon's skin. Although I wouldn't put rape past Joker... This whole banning of this cover is totally catering to SJW's, Joker isn't supposed to be a pillar of morality it's supposed to be disturbing, fuck your triggers.

Guest bitroast

I actually never got rape vibes n connotations from killing joke. It may have just been my dumb brain not putting 2and2 together and now im tempted to go back reread it and potentially see the comic in new light but ?? did anyone actually get the connotations from that story ? are they there ?

There are pannels in TKJ that show that at very least he stripped her down and photographed her naked and bleeding in order to later show the photos to Jim Gordon... it never explicitly states rape though. It could be implied, but like I said I think the idea was more just about making Babs vulnerable and exploiting it to get under Jim's skin. Joker was trying to break the commish.

3752923-8118473846-17-67.jpg

Edited by ghOsty

1296243413.jpg

That first issue is fucking gorgeous. It's been nearly a year and I'm still waiting on issue #2, but I know it will be well worth it. I heard it took about a year to complete that one, by the way.

And nearly four years later, the second issue is going to come out in June:

nonplayer_2_cover_web.jpg

Edited by Braintree

• 3 weeks later...

Bought the entire Grant Morrison run of Batman and Batman & Robin today as a birthday present for myself, I'd been holding off on these until I read more of the events leading up to his run. $120 but worth it to complete a big chunk in the later part of my Batman collection.