IGNORED

Comic Books / Graphic Novels thread

Rubin Farr

DC's been a mess for a long while from what I understand even before the New 52, and I'm kinda seeing that right now. I've only ever really followed Batman closely in the DC universe but know a little about the rest of the universe... I've been reading the Morrison run of Batman lately, just finished Batman RIP and I figured I'd give Final Crisis next since I was told that's what comes next in Morrison's run. I have no idea what the flying fuck is going on so far in this though, but apparently it's a confusing one even for those who follow the DC universe/multiverses closely. I did some research last night and found that overall Final Crisis has little weight on the actual Batman cannon so I may just skip it and jump onto Batman: Reborn.

I haven't been keeping current with the New 52 Batman run past the Death of The Family arc, which to that point hasn't been bad. I hear though that once it gets into Year Zero and further into this run though, that it fucks up the timeline of the previous cannon a bit and has a lot of inconsistencies. I've heard it's still enjoyable if you don't overanalyze the timeline, but that seems weird. From what I gather New 52 was originally supposed to sort out some of the confusion in the DC universes by rebooting a lot but in the end has just made everything more confusing and inconsistent. Which is a shame.

Finally bought From Hell. Digging the artwork but sometimes it seems just a bit too bleak.

it's deeply fucking bleak, did u make it to the end yet? I saw the movie first when i was in highschool and was pleasantly surprised by how different the comic was (and also how much more Masonry played a role in the plot). Part of me wants to pick it up again and read it.

Have you read anything by Eddie Campbell the artist for From Hell? He did a great series called Bacchus in the mid 90s where the concept is what if the Greek gods were actually real people who in modern times operated like a sleazy incestual mafia ,the center of the story revolves around the Greek god of wine who is super chill and spends most of his time in a bar fraternizing (Cerebus later copied the shit out of this concept in the Guys portion of the book)

bacchus_v2_04.jpg

id put it somewhere in my top 5 favorite comic titles ever. If you are a fan of some of the earlier dark comedy indie comic titles Flaming Carrot or Concrete this is like a better more elaborate /weirder version of that

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Sandman Overture #5 released today. I guess they're on a 3 year plan.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll snatch that on my way home from work tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

did u see the one before it? I was extremely skeptical of it before seeing it especially after the New 52 debacle but Bruce timm has pretty much done the most interesting reinterpretation of the characters i've seen since Flashpoint paradox. Can't wait to see the actual movie. Also didn't mind the extremely obvious Alan Moore Miracleman homage style in which this short concluded

• 2 weeks later...

AMAZING psychedelic artwork from the master, Jack Kirby available in color via this month's Heavy Metal Magazine #276. Some of it used by the CIA for Operation Argo.

98BB684E-504C-495A-9698-91A1B107F592_zps

5F7903E8-9F07-4270-80F2-C5067929F319_zps

• 2 weeks later...

Finally bought From Hell. Digging the artwork but sometimes it seems just a bit too bleak.

it's deeply fucking bleak, did u make it to the end yet? I saw the movie first when i was in highschool and was pleasantly surprised by how different the comic was (and also how much more Masonry played a role in the plot). Part of me wants to pick it up again and read it.

Have you read anything by Eddie Campbell the artist for From Hell? He did a great series called Bacchus in the mid 90s where the concept is what if the Greek gods were actually real people who in modern times operated like a sleazy incestual mafia ,the center of the story revolves around the Greek god of wine who is super chill and spends most of his time in a bar fraternizing (Cerebus later copied the shit out of this concept in the Guys portion of the book)

bacchus_v2_04.jpg

id put it somewhere in my top 5 favorite comic titles ever. If you are a fan of some of the earlier dark comedy indie comic titles Flaming Carrot or Concrete this is like a better more elaborate /weirder version of that

Yeah I finished it. I always overanalyze Alan Moore stuff so I said that for my first read I'd just follow the story and not worry about what lies beneath. I'd say I've only gotten about ten percent of the content.

Edited by Twelvetrees

bacchus_v2_04.jpg

Yeah I finished it. I always overanalyze Alan Moore stuff so I said that for my first read I'd just follow the story and not worry about what lies beneath. I'd say I've only gotten about ten percent of the content.

yeah From Hell is like that, its very layered and overly detailed and you could more or less just follow it like a procedural crime drama and enjoy the story that way, makes a great 2nd read though to pick up all the extra stuff. Bacchus is very simple in comparison, Eddie Campbell's solo stuff tends to be more light but thats not to say it isnt also very good

Got a wonderful comic called Inercia the other day, gorgeus

Awesome!

Can anyone make sense of DC for me,

Not sure i can

just read the most recent issue of Southern Bastards. jason aaron's on fire with this series, highly recommend. some nice art as well.

that coach boss origin story was like some fucked up version of rudy.

l7n483B.jpg

looking forward to Providence #2 tomorrow.

yeah, it's a lovecraft comic by alan moore. i hate to use the word but it's very meta. the universe is mostly just like ours where people know lovecraft as just some scifi horror writer, but everything he writes about is true(dagons, cthullu's and the like. there are also other turn of the century weird fiction influences there like chambers' carcosa/suicide booths ect) i would check out the courtyard and neonomicon first though. providence takes place in the 20's and is the third part in the series. the courtyard and neonomicon are set in the modern day.

We are Robin is like... edgy extreeeeeeme 90's stuff, only it's full of 2010-isms. Shame because the premise was cool... also, what the hell is with superhero comics and having ten thousand thought bubbles on every page (not shaped like bubbles, though) and the apparent need for super-forced "snappy" dialogue even when nothing is happening and it adds nothing to the story?!! Dialogues are like 4x wordier than manga, but most of it tries so hard to be snappy and like everyday speech at the same time... it's rubbish to be quite honest. The art is pretty good at times, though...

Edited by poblequadrat

This thread could quite easily cost me a lot of money.

Some great suggestions, really like the look of Inercia and Providence.

What are peoples thoughts on digital comics?

Im still very much in the camp of needing a physical copy. Happy to read a digital preview then buy the shit out of it if I like it.