IGNORED

Comic Books / Graphic Novels thread

Rubin Farr

Started reading The Last Broadcast yesterday. I'm only a couple issues in, but I'm really liking it. Themes are urban spelunking and the occult.

ARCHAIA_Last_Broadcast_001_WEB.1.jpg

Last_Broadcast_002_PRESS-3.jpg

I've only gotten into comics in the past few months by reading Alan Moore. I think he's fantastic but is he as good as they say he is?

Anyway hopefully I'll be starting Fables soon after playing The Wolf Among Us.

Ok, Marvel and DC have officially run out of ideas. When BOTH publishers resort to body-switching stories (the mark of a poor writer) you know another reboot is imminent.

Doc Ock in Spidey

Onslaught in Red Skull

Joker inside entire Justice League

Loki inside Sif

the endless Phoenix saga

and now Marvel gives us...Inversion.

Kevin Feige - "gee we've switched bodies on almost every interesting character, now what? I know! Make the bad guys good & the good guys bad."

independent publishers never looked so good...

Guest bitroast

I've only gotten into comics in the past few months by reading Alan Moore. I think he's fantastic but is he as good as they say he is?

watchmen, swamp thing, from hell. all great.

his stuff can sometimes misfire a bit. his more recent stuff is all heavy in ideas and generally strong and stylistic ... but can also be a bit bland ...

watchmen, swamp thing, from hell. all great.

his stuff can sometimes misfire a bit. his more recent stuff is all heavy in ideas and generally strong and stylistic ... but can also be a bit bland ...

V for Vendetta also has to be quoted imo. For me it was a grower. The Watchmen too actually, I was pretty young when I first tried to get into it. I don't know Swamp Thing, I should check it out i guess.

oh and I didn't know that the last book of this trilogy of Charles Burns was out. I know what you mean about the wait between the books, I was kind of disappointed after reading the second one because although it's nice it's very short and doesn't brings the story a lot further. Would like to read the 3rd one though.

at the moment I'm reading some Tardi. I'm not sure this kind of oldschool french comic have a lot of fans here (kind of focused on french culture and history in some way, I guess it's not that easy to export) but it's funny to read. The book i'm reading belongs to the series with Nestor Burma.

"bonsoir ducon"

tardi-detail-burma-ducon.jpg

blame! is the best ever.

I agree, loved it.

It is an amazing set. I loved it. The world Nehei created was enthralling. Shame it isn't explored any further he could have gone a lot further with the colonies and characters briefly mentioned in the 10 books (11 if you include noise).

Went by the comic shop today just to window shop, ended up picking up this new Brubaker/Phillips title, wasn't even aware of this one, I don't even really know the premise of it but I've never been dissappointed by this duo... I'm still catching up on Fatale.

FadeOut01_2ndPrintCover.jpg

Edited by ghOsty

Guest bitroast

Went by the comic shop today just to window shop, ended up picking up this new Brubaker/Phillips title, wasn't even aware of this one, I don't even really know the premise of it but I've never been dissappointed by this duo... I'm still catching up on Fatale.

not read their stuff. recommendations? fatale?

Anyone reading Supreme: Blue Rose? It's so good to have Warren Ellis back doing monthly comics.

Read Criminal, mayne.

Anyone reading Supreme: Blue Rose? It's so good to have Warren Ellis back doing monthly comics.

Read Criminal, mayne.

Yeah Criminal would be my first reccomendation, absolutely fantastic crime-noir stories, like a grittier, more realistic Sin City. The collected deluxe editions are absolutely worth the price.

51w4nF5Fb0L._SS500_.jpg

Fatale is one part crime-noir, one part supernatural occult horror, it's been pretty damn interesting so far... they're up to book 4 now, I've only read the first 3 though.

Fatale-.jpg

Their other series' are Incognito, and Sleeper. I haven't read Sleeper yet but I've been meaning to get to it. Incognito is a pretty interesting take on the classic super-hero/villain world. Definitely worth looking into.

Edited by ghOsty

Guest bitroast

nice cheers.

been reading moebius comics again recently. i always enjoy his artstyle but find his writing can be bit weird, especially when it focuses on drawing from the subconscious kind of style and doesn't make the most sense.

a few of the comics are awesome though. The Long Tomorrow, written by Dan O'Bannon is an AWESOME comic. short but ... awesome drawings. nice simple future detective story.

i'd provide better examples of the drawings but i think it's better to leave that stuff as a surprise :)

moebiustlt7.jpg

Guest Little Lord Faulteroy

nice cheers.

been reading moebius comics again recently. i always enjoy his artstyle but find his writing can be bit weird, especially when it focuses on drawing from the subconscious kind of style and doesn't make the most sense.

a few of the comics are awesome though. The Long Tomorrow, written by Dan O'Bannon is an AWESOME comic. short but ... awesome drawings. nice simple future detective story.

i'd provide better examples of the drawings but i think it's better to leave that stuff as a surprise :)

moebiustlt7.jpg

Coincidence or not. I also had a few Moebius moments this week :)

i've bought a beautiful €50 (or €49.95) book of The Hermetic Garage Of Jerry Cornelius. It's awesome...

you can keep looking at the pages and admire the artwork. The story itself is an epic stream-of-consciousness tale.

It's about Grubert, a man who apparently has eternal life and the power to create worlds and how he interacts with people.

Worth all the money...

sQRl6y5.jpg

yD3rrcF.jpg

Guest bitroast

Nice nice!! :)

I am having second thoughts about saying the writing isn't great. Upon A Star is really nicely written, not as stream of conciousness-y as airtight garage (which was the one that made me think the writing is a bit weird). Alot of the stuff makes more more sense the more you read all his work.. Like they bounce ideas off each other and take on similar themes from different angles.. It rewards digging deeper :)

Just finished Fell vol. 1 - Feral City. It's a nice, nasty crime book with a sort of unhinged David Lynch meets Silent Hill 2 vibe.

Have another Red Bull and finish this shit

Warren pls

Nice nice!! :)

I am having second thoughts about saying the writing isn't great. Upon A Star is really nicely written, not as stream of conciousness-y as airtight garage (which was the one that made me think the writing is a bit weird). Alot of the stuff makes more more sense the more you read all his work.. Like they bounce ideas off each other and take on similar themes from different angles.. It rewards digging deeper :)

Moebius work needs time to digest most of the time, his books are more on the grower side. He made a couple of more accessible stuff though, which are also great. Did you guys read The Aedena Cycle? It's so good. I was also amazed by the last Arzach, which (in the like of the last Garage Hermétique with Major Gruber) was a return to the character of Arzach, in which was supposed to be the first volume of a new series, where, unlike in the old Arzach books, characters speak. It might be the last book he made. Pretty sad it had to stop like that.

Guest bitroast

The aedena cycle is next! Followed by gardens of aedena.

Do you read this in french? Finding english translations of this stuff is much harder than it needs to be..

yes I do. I don't know how it's translated but I quite like how it's written originally. The made up words to design various things specific to each stories are always funny, and generally the texts have a consequent sense of playing with words. It's also sometimes deliberately kind of obscure, letting some room to the reader's imagination. Texts are one of the reason I meant that Moebius work is not the easiest to digest, but after getting into it I never found them exaggeratedly complicated and always ended up to enjoy them.