IGNORED

Comic Books / Graphic Novels thread

Rubin Farr

Guest bitroast

Picked up sandman overture 4 (was going to write "Finally picked up.." but it doesn't really matter cause i have not read any yet aha). Anyhow, the cover has a date of Feb15? Is that normal for single issue comics, for the date to be so wrong?, or is this any opportunity to have a giggle at sandman overture being such a shambolic release?

^holy jeez are they only up to #4? I've been enjoying the series well enough, but I totally forget about it between each issue release, with so much time passing between them

Got my sister vol 1 of Saga for xmas, might read it myself if i get a chance on the drive from mtl to nova scotia

...Anyhow, the cover has a date of Feb15? Is that normal for single issue comics, for the date to be so wrong?, or is this any opportunity to have a giggle at sandman overture being such a shambolic release?

I think the date is when it's on the shelf until, not 100% sure tho

Perhaps 'Bone,' it's light-hearted though it is a little long and fantasy adventure, maybe 'boy-ish', it's pretty accessible though.

Also 'Laika' is the story of the first living thing sent into space, a lovable dog, it's sweet and melancholy, really beautiful to look at.

Chris Ware's 'Jimmy Corrigan' is another beautiful object though definitely not light-hearted, it's basically melancholy but pretty accessible to non-comics readers.

Aaaand... 'Kampung Boy' is an autobiographical account of growing up in the jungle of Malaysia, again a beautiful book, black and white, slice of life kind of stuff though it is part 1 of 2 and frankly part 2 isn't quite as interesting.

Damn, comics for Mom is a hard request!

Guest bitroast

yeah, "Mom" is a pretty vague description. my mum likes horror-y things so i would probably get her Into The Woods or From Hell from some fun reading.. or Maus because the WW2 concentration camp subject might be interesting to her.. or Paying For It because a comic about a guy scrapping relationships and focusing on prostitutes for a period in his life might be a fun read ..

chris ware is a good pick^. they seem like pretty universal comics. simple and emotionally strong!

I want to get something for my mom. Any suggestions? Something light-hearted would be best.

6a00e398d193e8000300fa96928c240002.jpg

it looks big but you get through it pretty fast. I read the whole thing in maybe 3-4 sittings. dunno if she'll like manga though.

I want to get something for my mom. Any suggestions? Something light-hearted would be best.

Actually I remembered my Mom really liked Little Nemo in Slumberland by Winsor McCay, nice large format, gorgeous artwork and blackface aside pretty inoffensive :P

and if not that maybe Moomin by Tove Jansson

Actually I remembered my Mom really liked Little Nemo in Slumberland by Winsor McCay, nice large format, gorgeous artwork and blackface aside pretty inoffensive :P

and if not that maybe Moomin by Tove Jansson

Little Nemo is actually a perfect recommendation! Thanks for reminding me!

You guys sound like you have cooler moms than me. She's pretty 'white-bred, southern, absolutely-nothing-racey.'

Looks like the current run of Swamp Thing is also coming to an end with issue 40, which sucks. Both Swampy and Animal Man were great stories but I guess a good story with great artwork doesnt sell enough copies compared to rehashing the same old shit across 7 different Batman titles.

compared to rehashing the same old shit across 7 different Batman titles.

There are way too many batman spinoffs to keep up with now... the usual Dark Knight, Detective etc, but now also Eternal, Zero Year, etc... I'm still filling cracks in my collection from pre New 52, though the Owls storyline and Death of the Family were good.