IGNORED

Comic Books / Graphic Novels thread

Rubin Farr

Did anyone read Airboy #2 and actually find it offensive? I'm trying to wrap my head around this.

If you portray any minority in a comic book/fiction, your characterization is immediately representative of every member of said group.

Edited by rddm

Likewise, if you have a character with dissenting behavior that isn't necessarily a clear cut villain, the author risks the characters dissenting opinion being interpreted as their own personal feelings.

recently finished The Killer series by Matz & Jacamon...so good. the hitman main character is very well-written. the french nihilism gets a bit heavy by the time the 3rd volume comes around, but I didn't find it depressing at all as other reviewers have complained about

I've been devouring Will Eisner lately. I especially love his study of urban rhythm and movement. The guy had such incredible insight into humanity. His work is soaked with feeling.

Just started the first book of They're Not Like Us. It's sort of a non-superhero take on the X-Men concept, where Professor X character and his "students" mostly get up to Clockwork Orange-y mayhem. Gonna be mightily disappointed if this turns into a straightforward superhero book later on.

2R2Fo1q.jpg

g8q02R9.jpg

csIDt2O.png

Edited by doublename

can anybody recommend good Justice League runs or graphic novels? Most of them seem shit when i browsed through the comic book store today. Im a big fan of the 'what if' style of justice league stories like alternate dimensions/worlds

just picked up the first book of Batman '66 blind, hope its not awful

Guys I'm only starting to get into comics recently, so what are some good series to read? Preferably ones that are complete or have a good amount of issues already published.

I'm generally not into superhero comics. I'd rather more dark fantasy style stories, if that helps.

Guys I'm only starting to get into comics recently, so what are some good series to read? Preferably ones that are complete or have a good amount of issues already published.

I'm generally not into superhero comics. I'd rather more dark fantasy style stories, if that helps.

that's like asking "hey guys I've never watched a movie, where to start"

The Unwritten

Saga of the Swamp Thing (just the Alan Moore stuff)

Preacher

What are some movies, books etc. you like?

some fantasy and sci fi for you, all classics in a few different styles:

Sandman, then lucifer, then death, then the books of magic, maybe hellblazer if you like the occult edge

Batman: Arkham asylum (im not massive into superhero stuff but this is a classic, so good)

Transmetroplitan

Y: the last man

Manga:

nausicaa (not so dark but good)

eden - its an endless world!

blame!

Guest bitroast

The sandman^ got me obsessed with comics. ((Reading American gods atm actually, also by neil gaiman))

I know you asked for dark fantasy, im trying to remember but just have to suggest when i think about it

the image stuff is pretty good, its quirky:

prophet

Saga

jupiters legacy

wicked and divine

also, for more quirkiness,

King city

Multiple warheads

The sandman^ got me obsessed with comics. ((Reading American gods atm actually, also by neil gaiman))

I've been thinking about buying the complete Sandman, but the artwork wasn't my thing. I do like Neil Gaiman though, American Gods is beautifully twisted.

I'm fairly sure I'll get it, it's just a matter of when. I'll get the collected edition too or it'll cost me a fortune.

By the way, I read The Dark Knight Returns recently and hated it. Am I alone on that, seeing as everyone else seems to love it? I liked Batman: Year One, but Frank Miller just seems fairly tasteless to me.

I'm fairly sure I'll get it, it's just a matter of when. I'll get the collected edition too or it'll cost me a fortune.

By the way, I read The Dark Knight Returns recently and hated it. Am I alone on that, seeing as everyone else seems to love it? I liked Batman: Year One, but Frank Miller just seems fairly tasteless to me.

DKR has aged terribly for me. It seemed liked the coolest thing ever from ages 12-15 or so, but I tried to reread it about a year and half ago and thought it was nonsense. Year One is still great though.