IGNORED

A Huge Ever Growing Pulsating Brain That Rules From The Centre Of The Ultraworld

chaosmachine

I used to hate this, mainly because of the "loving you" sample. Then I stopped being an uptight teenager and got a sense of humor.

Memories are weird sometimes...

Anyway... I agree that the main synth sound/melody.... so good.... I especially love it when it slows down at the end. I almost wish it took like... 10 minutes just to slow down.

yeah for some reason... chill out never really clicked with me. I always took it as the link between floyd and the orb, but too much floyd on it for me. too unfocussed in concept as well. A trip up through the gulf coast - awesome idea. great titles too. picture of yorkshire on the cover.... tuvan throat singing.... I dunno, maybe I'm just a little geographically OCD (I am) but those are just missteps that distract and irritate me. I also suspect that in 1990 tuvan singing was REALLY bizarre and unheard of, however these days, huun-huur-tu are so common place it just comes off really cheesy.

*ducks*

OH... I was driving one night from DC back to Norfolk after a club night and and I was listening to this album and when I reached Richmond, Huge Evergrowing Brain came on and I nearly veered off the road from falling asleep at the wheel. Not recommended for long drives at night!

How do you think they went about composing this? I suppose the same question could be asked of any ambient musician. I know some musicians like to just "jam" and capture the moment/vibe as it happens. But an audio journey like this is too complex to have been composed on the fly.

I mean do you draw out a "map" of sorts and then say, "ok here we'll bring in the church bells.... and then here we'll add some chicken clucks..."

I was in the Navy when I discovered this album. I was pretty excited when I brought it home when I went on leave and I played it for my friends... They didn't understand it at the time. One of them even said "This is a waste of studio time!" One of them is now a huge fan. The other probably still believes that it's a waste of studio time.

Archived