IGNORED

Sleeping

Guest Rambo

Sleep  

59 members have voted

1. 1. If we could eliminate the need for sleep, how much less would you sleep?

• I would never sleep
    • 1-2 hours a night
    • 3-4 hours a night
    • 5-6 hours a night
    • I would stay the same

Guest Rambo

If we could eliminate the need for sleep at some point without any drawbacks, how would it affect your sleeping habits? If you think you would do different things on different nights just opt for what you'd choose the most.

I personally enjoy a couple of hours of non-existence/dreaming every night so have opted for 3-4 hours. I'd probably not go to bed at all some days but the most common thing i'd do would probably be 3-4 hours sleep so i've gone for that.

Yeah, I agree. 3-4 hours would be ideal. It would make the days longer (I sometimes feel like the days just fly by way too quickly). And it would give a lot more free time on mondays to fridays to get stuff done. Life too short to be sleeping all the time. Haven't there been talks about a pill that could this kind of thing?

But I wouldn't be completely without my nights sleep, I really enjoy sleeping/dreaming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhV7EqAqcm8

Guest RadarJammer

That would be a social disaster. I can imagine what would happen to communist and oppressive countries. 24 hour work days. A real scientific solution to insomnia would be a more exciting discovery. Maybe an electrical stimulation that flawlessly eases the brain into sleep mode?

If they manage to ever discover and untangle what makes the brain tick to the extent that they could bypass sleep, I wonder what else they would have discovered alongside? Probably way more interesting things like stopping ageing.

It could be unhealthy to let a train of thought go uninterrupted for months or years, sleeplessness would create some real monsters.

If we could take a pill every 24 hours and it would eliminate the need to sleep for that day without any side effects of insomnia or side effects that stimulants give, I would totally do it. Imagine the increase in human productivity!

I wonder if we could figure out how to induce sleep in the way dolphins do it--one hemisphere of the brain at a time. That seems like a good compromise, because I doubt we'll ever develop a way to go totally without sleep.

Depends on how you imagine this "cure" for sleep working. If sleeping provided no benefits anymore and staying awake for long periods of time didn't make us nuts like it does now, then I imagine I would not want to sleep at all.

It's like some people don't even read the words that make up the question.

"If we could eliminate the need for sleep WITHOUT ANY DRAWBACKS"

Anyways I only sleep 4 hours a night on average so I'd probably go for that option.

I have currently been awake for 31 hours and I can honestly say I would keep this up forever if my body didn't need to sleep. I feel like starting one of those word salad threads.

It's like some people don't even read the words that make up the question.

"If we could eliminate the need for sleep WITHOUT ANY DRAWBACKS"

Anyways I only sleep 4 hours a night on average so I'd probably go for that option.

genetically advanced freak...

can read questions properly, only needs 4 hours sleep and can throw a frisbee pretty well. jeez

edit: and catch a frisbee

I don't think I would have any desire to sleep if i didn't need it, and probably would never get into the habit in the first place. So probably never, if I was still mortal. If I were immortal I'd probably sleep on occasion to switch things up, maybe.

Guest Gary C

i think i would save sleep for special occasions (like post sex or post clubbing), or sleep on sunday nights. I do enjoy sleeping but i could quite easily find a hundred things to be doing instead

I'm inclined to go with this (aside from the 'clubbing' bit because I'm not a twat).

If I never felt tired or maddening then I would preferably sleep as little as possible, but reserve a good session for post-sex, post-booze, post-drugs, post-exercise, post-intense day.

Damn it, Rambo, another of your questions that I wish were reality.

Guest Gary C

going to sleep after going to a club makes you a twat? interesting.

Going 'clubbing' does.

Apologies, actually. I just really hate the word 'clubbing', and I have a visual image of gurning, dirty teens shuffling around in sweaty, noisy holes. It's just a word and idea that disgusts me, but it doesn't make anyone a 'twat', so I apologise. If you're a person that goes 'clubbing' we wouldn't get along.

I used to go to horrible noisy clubs and take drugs 'til morning, til I took an arrow to the knee.

Archived