IGNORED

99USD XBOX 360 Kinect Game Console

Joyrex

Microsoft is offering an XBOX 360 Arcade console (no HDD, 4GB of storage) for 99USD with a 2 year subscription to XBOX Live Gold (14.99/month), and a Kinect motion controller interface, available at Microsoft retail stores (yes, they have them - think Apple store for crappy products).

Interesting they are trying to be "first" with the sub-200USD console of this generation (Wii does not count). Let's do the math:

XBOX 360 Arcade Console -199.00 (-100.00 savings): 99.00

XBOX Live Gold for 2 years: 14.99/month x 24 = 359.76

XBOX Kinect: 149.00 (-149.00 savings)

Total cost (- savings): 309.76

Now, from what I understand, it's almost useless without an HDD, so add 90.00 for the cheapest HDD (120GB): 399.76

When purchased normally: 4GB XBOX 360 Arcade w/Kinect: 299.00

XBOX Live Gold Membership (12 months): 49.99 x 2: 99.98

120GB HDD: 90.00

Total cost: 488.98

Your total savings is 89.22 buying the 2 year commitment versus each item separately. What's interesting is how much more they sell the XBOX Live subscription per month for versus if you just bought two 12-month cards of it.

I mentioned this on another forum so I'm just going to copy and paste...

Not everyone can afford to pay full price for a 360. So even though it ends up costing more than what a 360 normally costs it will seem like a lucrative offer for those who can only afford to pay smaller amounts of money at a time i.e. students. I got my iPhone4S for free - but this means I am tied to my carrier for 6 months and have to pay a certain amount of money each month. Plus, the following 18 months I have to pay a smaller amount of money each month. Yes, when you do the math you might as well put a gun to your foot but it's BETTER for me to get my iPhone this way because there is no way in hell I, as a student, will ever be able to put whatever it is an iPhone costs. If I did pay the full price it would hurt my economy so much that it would take months to get back on track, but paying only a small price each month doesn't hurt me that badly. So yeah, I can see why this 360 deal is a good deal for SOME but not for everyone.

Agreed on the "now vs. later/never" factor - but that ramp up in costs on the subscription is really taking the piss!

You'd be better of putting the whole thing on a credit card (just a guess, not going to do an amortization schedule to see if it comes out more or less) and pay a set amount each month (the 14.99+ whatever gets you above your credit card minimum payment plus what it takes to pay off in two years).

couldn't you buy the phone like that with a credit card ? in 18 payments without tying yourself to a cellular company ?

Sure - but I wouldn't bother dealing with an overdraft.

wait, for a second I thought you were saying that it CAME with 2 years of xbox live for free. I see now that it is basically like an iphone contract.

wait, for a second I thought you were saying that it CAME with 2 years of xbox live for free. I see now that it is basically like an iphone contract.

That's how I initially read it too. What a let down.

Right - you're basically locked into a 2 year agreement with Microsoft. Funny thing is, I would suspect the next XBOX will be out within those two years...

Xbox contracts? Complete bullshit. Then you pay $180 a year for next 2 years so they can keep fucking you. Buy a used console and fuck MS!

Yeah, but you still have to pay for XBOX Live membership to play online... so either way, MS is making money off you.

Yeah like I said $14.99 a month, so $180 a yr plus tax for what everyone else is paying $60. Us smart ones even got discounts. You end up paying $360 for two years of Live, coincidence? Or bullshit!

Doesn't the new package include 2 years of extended warranty? Isn't that sort of valuable since, you know, xboxen are built to such exacting, fail-proof, field-hardened standards?

I love how I've seen about 10 separate analyses of this offer and each one has a totally different "normal purchase" cost figure.

Doesn't the new package include 2 years of extended warranty? Isn't that sort of valuable since, you know, xboxen are built to such exacting, fail-proof, field-hardened standards?

I love how I've seen about 10 separate analyses of this offer and each one has a totally different "normal purchase" cost figure.

I thought the standard warranty on XBOXes after the whole Red Ring of Death debacle is 3 years?

Ye thats what I thought too.

This is bullshit.

Archived