IGNORED

A few albums recently listened.

murve33

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to check out the self-titled St. Vincent album, seeing as it's regularly popping up within the top 5 of several 'Best of 2014' lists. Plus she's previously collaborated with a couple of my favourite artists so she already had my kudos before diving in. I enjoyed a couple of tracks, but overall, I can't say that it's really my kinda thing. A lot of it seemed like it was trying too hard to be weird, and personally I don't think it paid off.

Wagon Christ - Sorry I Make You Lush: Very fresh sounding with colorful chords and melodies. The first two tracks are great. "Shadows" is another Luke Vibert classic. 8/10

Cylob - Cylobian Sunset: Whoa, i think i've just found another Rephlex favorite. Starts off pretty hyper but gets calmer. 8,4/10

Ovuca - Onclements: Aleksi really did some weird stuff back then. There sure are some gems here and there and some really cool ambient stuff. 7,4/10

The Black Dog - Spanners: Classic Warp release, really like the eqyptian theme. Utopian Dream is fantastic. 8,5/10

µ-Ziq - Royal Astronomy: It has aged quite alot, but when i find a track i like on this album, i REALLY like it. Houzz 8 from The Fear EP is also good. 7/10

Squarepusher - Go Plastic: I didn't think i would like this album because i thought Tom had switched to the "Do You Know Squarepusher" style (have to give that one a good listen), but it turned out to be great, really loved it. Plaistow Flex Out is so dope. 8,8/10

CN - Nu: Gets better and better for each listen. I only really liked the first half on first listen, but it's a grower. 8,7/10

Chaos A.D. - Buzz Caner: Absolutely mental release by Tom on Rephlex back in 1998. "Up The Gary" is just great while "Dreaded Pestilence" sounds like Aphex Twin let

Tom borrow his gear he used for "Ventolin".

Machinedrum - Vapor City Archives - I saw a fair few people saying it's not really worth of a release on its own but I got it anyway. I have to disagree, it's an enjoyable album for me, much like previous releases.

Dorian Concept - Joined Ends - One of my favourites from the year for sure, although my 'to buy' list is still nowhere near empty. One of those albums where every track is a gem.

Busdriver - Perfect Hair - I mainly got this because of his features on Modeselektor tracks, and the fact Aesop Rock was on a track. Not a bad album, but not as good as i'd have hoped.

Illum Sphere - Ghosts of Then & Now - Nice album to listen to. Enjoyed quite a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

X-ASP: Terra Firma

Only release by these fellas. Classic early Rephlex braindance, fits snugly alongside Astrobotnia, Bochum Welt et al. Title tracks are good, but the best for me are Boost (real banger) and P69 (gorgeous)

Chaos A.D. - Buzz Caner: Absolutely mental release by Tom on Rephlex back in 1998. "Up The Gary" is just great while "Dreaded Pestilence" sounds like Aphex Twin let

Tom borrow his gear he used for "Ventolin".

Stunning album innit? Wonder if we'll ever get anything else like this from Tom?

• 4 weeks later...

Sleaford Mods - Austerity Dogs...like the bastard love-child of John Cooper Clarke lost at a ketamine soaked free-party. Gotta reprozent the Norrinum heavy Bronx peoples because it nails northern British urban anger @ recession bs....(also for coining the lyrics "Brian Eno, what the fook does he know, wiv his alien 'air-coot,,,,")

Cabaret Voltaire - Plasticity.......mainly to hear "Low Cool" again which is a complete Everest of a track

Weather Report - Mr Gone.......2 diamonds in this seam,,,,,,the self titled track & "River People", both brilliantly wonky proto-houseness

Picked up Trevor Jackson's "Metal Dance - Industrial / Post-Punk / EBM : Classics & Rarities '80 - '88" compilation on the Bleep sale...

Pretty damn good collection of tracks all around. I've been really starting to get into the early industrial/goth-wave sound over the last year after being into some of the bands reviving this sound lately, but I'm still pretty new to all the older stuff as I was too young to really experience this era the first time around so this sampler serves as a great introduction to a bunch of artists. I put the comp on while putting shipments away in the back room at work, and it definitely made the night go by quickly. Also seems there's a volume 2 that I'll definitely be looking into.

Edited by ghOsty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mike & Rich - Expert Knob Twiddlers : first listen of that classic album to me, today. Never thought it was such a FUNKY album. Getting wonderful, positive vibes from all the tracks - it actually SOUNDS like they were having tons of fun making it.

TL;DR : "quite good"

Edited by StocKo

Busted out Orbital - Snivilisation the other day for a car ride. I'd say overall most of it aged pretty well, I'd still give it a solid "B". My 4 year old son really liked it and has it in his cd player at bedtime now

AZ - Doe or Die

Most people will only know him as the dude on Life's a Bitch who isn't Nas (assuming they know him at all), but this record is a lost gem of 94-96 era NYC Hip-hop. Production wise it doesn't go as hard as OB4CL, Illmatic, or The Infamous, but it's still impressive.

AZ feat. Nas Mo Money Mo Murder:

Guest Nebuchadnezzar

Photodementia - Fig.04c

Love it, listened to it several times today. Going to listen to Monolith's other stuff too.

Edited by Nebuchadnezzar

Guest kymppinetti

aphex twin - ventolin

after two weeks listening this, i have to say it quite nice album. the sound is something i have never heard of before. it's like richie had done buch of tracks, and then put all of them through some weird mixer, wich has damaged the overall tune. not in a bad way, i find it very interesting.

Tune in. Turn On. Drop Out. These are the latest LP's I've spun.

Sisters of Mercy - Floodland - 10/10. Musical critics/snobs have always proclaimed that they were finished after their first album, some even say they were finished after their first classic twelves. Yeah. Well I pay no attention to all that malarkey. I love this album and always have done. Still slays.

Metallica - Master of Puppets - 10/10. I love all these tracks but Face The Thing That Should Not Be I think is their best track of all time. After this it was all down hill. Maybe if we get a remastered version of ...AJFA the decline might be less rapid.

Underworld - Second Toughest In The Infants - 9/10.

Autechre - EP7 - 5/10. Never got on with this collection, just seems boring and uninspired. A replay didn't confince me otherwise.

Autechre - LP5 - 10/10. IDM perfection.

Machinedrum - Room(s) - double cd - 9/10. Just love this album, has such a perfect, sunny, upbeat but chilled vibe. The second cd has the remixes which are just as good.

Aphex Twin - ICBYD - 9/10. Gets better and better for me. Never tire of this album, though there are are few tracks which I can't get on with. But almost every release by Aphex has something I don't like. It's like he does it on purpose specifically just to wind me up lol.

Fu Manchu - The Action Is Go - 9/10. Legendary.

Fu Manchu - In Search Of - 9/10. More legendary goodness from So Cal via Brum.

Chemical Brothers - Exit Planet Dust - 8/10

Viet Cong - Viet Cong - 8/10.

Phew!!!