IGNORED

Team Doyobi - Digital Music Volume 1

Redruth

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sirch

http://www.normanrecords.com/records/135088-team-doyobi--digital-music

Well there was a time when both electronic musicians and people like Phil, who hated the bland monotony of most 4/4 dance music, used to produce (or stock) lots of, quite frankly, unlistenable electronica from across the globe in order to supposedly stamp out “rave mediocrity” with the sticky hob-nailed boot of digital terror. TD were Skam’s most notoriously difficult practitioners of teeth bending glitch and post-Autechre confuse-scapes.

Coming from Leeds didn’t help either as at the time only crumbly goths and psychedelic weirdos lived out here so the scene was incredibly underground, led by the visionary Vector promotions who once numbered our ex-man Mingus Rude amongst its members. Enough back story for now but after a long lay-off Alex and Chris have returned with a record that is not only quite fabulous but also alarmingly (hold yer horses) melodic and danceable!!

Throughout both its bulbous sides ‘Digital Music Volume One’ shapes-up as a beautifully constructed, sharp ‘n’ modern electro-funk record which, whilst full of experimental nous and ear-deceiving tendrils of ADD detail, is infused with fantastic strutting rhythms, playful cosmic energy, an intoxicating day-glo warmth, innumerable lush melodies, delightful acid-drenched glitches and proper deep funky grooves! It is much more inventive and futuristic than the somewhat sterile fan-appeasing new Squarepusher album and should have you insanely body-popping around the room with a huge happy smirk on your face.

If this fantastic mini album doesn’t completely put Skam back on the map then I'll be well sad. This is a genuine antidote to both the technically over-serious IDM past and all that minimal gubbins and post-house they have these days. An intelligent record you can really dance to without stroking your chin smugly, the tracks on here are even better than their crazed ‘Mod Truckin’ from years back. Welcome back boys, cannot wait for volume 2!! Oh, BTW you get eight full tracks on here for the price of a takeaway pizza! I’m sure going hungry tonight...

apparently this is available to order at bleep right now : https://bleep.com/re...661#description

Err I'm guessing there's going to be more than just the 1 and a half minute track on the 12'' - right ?!

tracklist

A1 A1200000Flex

A2 Maltazers

A3 Art Of Memorex

A4 2X Td Header

B1 Zenthial Arches

B2 The Luminous Image

B3 Definition

B4 Dusk Over Raxxla

Yeah, mine too, Lego Feet, Team Doyobi...and the Escape from New York OST on vinyl. Nice.

Really enjoying the Team Doyobi, couple of tracks in particular - I've always found them occasionally amazing but often kinda frustrating, I'm liking this new approach they've got going on. Think this could end up being my favourite release from them I reckon.

Guest sirch

love it. wish it was a lil' bit longer tho.

but the good thing about vinyl is you can change the speed, eh, and play it on 33/different speeds if you want. :)

can't wait for the next volume!

bring it on.

damnit I want a digital release!

seriously...its about time now!

1 day left at boomkat for the MP3/FLAC………

Got it today- dope shit. I really like the way they are curving out the digital miasma of synths with some pretty nostalgic samples. Really attractive material. Well, it's not that hard to get on wax on the moment, I really wonder.

I'm surprised this is on Spotify...as far as I knew, Skam had rescinded their catalogue from Spotify due to the shitty royalties situation...

I'm pretty sure that was Planet Mu. Most Skam stuff I search for is available. For instance, the latest Mr. 76ix, VHS Head, and NUEARZ. No Lego Feet though.

I'm surprised this is on Spotify...as far as I knew, Skam had rescinded their catalogue from Spotify due to the shitty royalties situation...

I'm pretty sure that was Planet Mu. Most Skam stuff I search for is available. For instance, the latest Mr. 76ix, VHS Head, and NUEARZ. No Lego Feet though.

Well that doesn't match with the conversation I had with Andy last year...

Archived