IGNORED

oculus vr headset

data

ive never seen a sci fi film where the communication links are commercialized, (your comm link to voltron will start after these brief messages) ,. but our future seems to hold total commercialization.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

photo-1584.jpg?_r=1394472852

Love this pic, just had a good rummage through Steve McCurry's photos as a result. Thanks marf

That reminded me of another youtube, I think it was some sort of video project, but the theme was how it would be to upload ones mind into a computer where copyright holders would erase memories of songs unless you paid a fee and stuff like that. Anyone know what I am on about? Tried looking for it, but no luck.

check out the tagline i just came up with for this thing-

Oculus Rift... if u die in the game, u die irl

should i go post that on reddit or somewhere where they might see it and hire me on as part of the team?

This whole hype with Oculus Rift puzzles me a bit because the thing with VR like this is that the use cases are limited. It works with FPS and some simulator games but for example why would you go shopping in a virtual mall if you can just browse the catalog and buy by clicking? Also the social networking sites seem to be popular partly because the communication is asynchronous so that the participants don't need to be actively online all the time during the interaction. The "let's go hang out in a virtual space together" probably works some of the time, but all the participants need to be 100% focused on it because the VR shuts out the rest of the world around the users. Also if you want an audiovisual chat with somebody then there's video conferencing for example via Skype.

Another thing is that the internet usage is moving fast away from home computers to smart phones and tablets, which are handy because you can carry them everywhere. The Oculus Rift might be nice for some commuting but it's still bulky to carry around. You can' just stuff it in the pocket of your trousers.

The nerds and hardcore gamers are obviously excited by VR (and may be the target audience) but I want to see some clear use cases where this is worth the investment for a regular internet user to justify the hype.

both the oculus and morpheus (sony's VR set) are both dedicated gaming devices and has always been. they're meant for gaming, not virtual malls. that's what makes the facebook thing so confusing. ofc there are other areas where it could be used, but games were always the main focus. and it was originally funded by gamers / game developers. i mean, they even hired john carmack.

zuckerberg apparently believes VR is the next big thing, that's to replace mobile/tablets etc.

zuckerberg apparently believes VR is the next big thing, that's to replace mobile/tablets etc.

ugh plz no

i held onto my 90s computer until it gave out in 2k11, and have no interest getting involved in the phone / tablet / wearable tech racket. I'm banking on someone out there catering to luddites like myself after this space shit takes over. Some fokes just wanna type on big clackity keyboards in their bedroom and read text files all day like it's 1989

Yeah, I guess it's the Facebook angle I don't get. Some AR system similar to Google Glass would make ten times more sense than full VR for FB. WTF?

My friend ordered the dev kit 2 so I'll probably get to try it when it comes.

i haven't read up much on FB's reasons for buying oculus, but my off-the-cuff guess is that they're maybe interested in the kind of social data among online gamers, or maybe we're about to see a new wave of games requiring you to sign into facebook to play (pls no)...? and of course cashing in on a sweet new market is a pretty good motivator as well...

the whole thing creeps me out for reasons i don't fully understand tbh

are they buying up hot new technology just because they need to keep growing to keep their stock prices on the rise?

or maybe zuckerberg believes that VR will honestly catch on in a much wider demographic than gadgeteers and neckbeards?

just buying new technologies because they've got the cash to spend?

plans to do even more highly targeted advertising based on what you say during the VR sessions you have with friends?

something lamer?

wats to get? fps are still prob by far the biggest selling games of the day

its no big mystery or conspiracy necessary to explain this

,which doesn't mean that there isn't an insidious conspiracy attached to it

prob is

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Anybody who says stupid shit like "oh you will goofy with an HMD on", or doesn't believe that the immersion gained from it isn't worth it.... Has not tried a developer kit. The Facbook acquisition will at the very least be a great thing for Oculus in the next few years. Maybe Facebook's prerogatives with VR might get lame in a 4 years. But, I don't think they will do anything stupid for a while. There will be other options for VR by then anyway. In order for Oculus to manufacture custom screens and other things, they needed the resources. One of the only companies with the capitol to help them, that might have been a better deal in the long run is probably Amazon.

Guest Gravity

^ lol

but yeah, from what palmer's been saying the facebook acquisition is going to allow them to make it a lot better at a much faster pace than they would have been able to otherwise. lower price too. with michael abrash now on board as well, it seems they have a bit of a VR dream team going over there at the moment. i'm hoping everything palmer's been saying works out as planned and facebook just lets them do their own thing as usual. gaming is going to be amazing on the rift, but the other uses that'll pop up from developers messing with it should be something special. i'm really excited about it all.

a psychedelic VR music visualization program would be mind blowing with how sleepy i am right now.

Edited by Gravity

I think we are seeing a tech bubble of sorts, btw.

No kidding. The social media sites are way overvalued.

• 1 month later...

Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe just told an audience at TechCrunch Disrupt about one lofty possibility for the pair: building a massively multiplayer experience for one billion simultaneous users.

"This is going to be an MMO where we want to put a billion people in VR," he told attendees.

Obviously, the billion-person MMO is a long ways off, but the company has its eye on a stepping stone: Oculus hopes to convince players that they're having a "real conversation" with another person.

"f you let go, you can have a real conversation with a person. That's the holy grail we're trying to get to."

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/5/5684236/oculus-wants-to-build-a-billion-person-mmo-with-facebook

:cerious: