IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

i want a vinyls rereleases of incoonaboola with xtra tracks on 3 vinyls of multi colours and signed by the 'chres with free sharpie pen and stickers and t shit.

this

yeah, this sounds excellent. the 'chre "incoonaboola" just cracks me up

ok, seriously now, but here is what i would really like, is a live stream webcast from ae studios when they do their big up live stint 8, or is it 12?, hr guess my com radio broadcast...

in the place

Guest Balance
Bleep are selling it for £2 cheaper, interestingly, and charged me £4.70 for postage to the UK. Boomkat would presumably charge me £6.16, and you £18.24 to the USA. Also, you might want to be sure of getting the best digital files. Bleep are clear about this – 16bit / 44.1kHz and 24bit / 44.1kHz WAV versions of the album. Plus a 320kbps LAME encoded MP3 version of the album – whereas Boomkat say **Includes digital download code redeemable from the label**.

Which one gives them the most money?

I might Bleep just cos of the bolded part, the 24 bit might come in handy some time.

Why even send out promos for an established act like Autechre? I would also prefer that this didn't leak and we all heard it for the first time at official launch.

Yeah I seriously wonder how much of an impact this has on their sales. I also don't get why you can't just release the album in line with radio promotion. I get the impression that 75% of their sales will be fans who would pre order anyways.

I'm sure if they released music by themselves, they wouldn't bother with promos.

but they are signed to one of the biggest independent electronic labels in the world. and labels have a certain mentality. Warp have been forward thinking in some respects, but in this respect they're still sticking to the status quo.

imo

promos are for reviews, radio shows, etc. one post on a site like fact mag makes maybe 5.000 guys want the new autechre. good for the preorders. :-)

I very much doubt that Autechre acquire listeners via reviews.

but I could be wrong. this is wattm

nah, but reviews make people aware there's a new ae comin!

Why even send out promos for an established act like Autechre? I would also prefer that this didn't leak and we all heard it for the first time at official launch.

Yeah I seriously wonder how much of an impact this has on their sales. I also don't get why you can't just release the album in line with radio promotion. I get the impression that 75% of their sales will be fans who would pre order anyways.

I'm sure if they released music by themselves, they wouldn't bother with promos.

but they are signed to one of the biggest independent electronic labels in the world. and labels have a certain mentality. Warp have been forward thinking in some respects, but in this respect they're still sticking to the status quo.

imo

promos are for reviews, radio shows, etc. one post on a site like fact mag makes maybe 5.000 guys want the new autechre. good for the preorders. :-)

I very much doubt that Autechre acquire listeners via reviews.

but I could be wrong. this is wattm

nah, but reviews make people aware there's a new ae comin!

good point.

:beer:

Guest pixelives
Promos are out!

Resident Advisor staff writer on Twitter (https://twitter.com/andrewryce/status/290886729580281856) confirms:

"Autechre promo in the inbox. Trying not to flip out."

When I got my last update from HQ I got the sense it might be a non physical promo via download link/code. This might prove my suspicions. DO people really say "inbox" when meaning mail/mailbox? More of an email term....

Also: still nothing over here. : /

Promos are out!

Resident Advisor staff writer on Twitter (https://twitter.com/andrewryce/status/290886729580281856) confirms:

"Autechre promo in the inbox. Trying not to flip out."

When I got my last update from HQ I got the sense it might be a non physical promo via download link/code. This might prove my suspicions. DO people really say "inbox" when meaning mail/mailbox? More of an email term....

Also: still nothing over here. : /

people absolutely refer to a physical mail inbox as an inbox, because that's where the term was pilfered from for email.

I've never heard anyone refer to receiving physical mail as things dropping in their inbox

see, that's weird, because i've worked in 3 office based jobs, where people receive mail, and we each had 2 paper boxes.

one called an inbox, and one called an outbox.

Bleep are selling it for £2 cheaper, interestingly, and charged me £4.70 for postage to the UK. Boomkat would presumably charge me £6.16, and you £18.24 to the USA. Also, you might want to be sure of getting the best digital files. Bleep are clear about this – 16bit / 44.1kHz and 24bit / 44.1kHz WAV versions of the album. Plus a 320kbps LAME encoded MP3 version of the album – whereas Boomkat say **Includes digital download code redeemable from the label**.

Which one gives them the most money?

I might Bleep just cos of the bolded part, the 24 bit might come in handy some time.

Insider info required, but I'd guess they get the same cut from Warp however much the shop sells it for.

I'm thinking the 16bit might come in handy. Wanted to burn my 24 of 'see and see' to CD for a compilation but couldn't because CDs are shit. Couldn't download the 16 either because you had to order one or the other. I either just flac'd it up (for absolute ease) or figured out how to change the bit depth with SoX. Can't remember which but probably the former. (In case you're wondering / bothered, 'see and see' was preceded by Kwadrofonik's 'Sonoris' and followed by Talk Talk's 'After the Flood'.)

Guest Balance
I've never heard anyone refer to receiving physical mail as things dropping in their inbox

see, that's weird, because i've worked in 3 office based jobs, where people receive mail, and we each had 2 paper boxes.

Ahhh, I've never worked in an office, i've seen it on telly though and you're right, inbox.

What do they call their email inbox?

I think most people got used to calling it a mailbox because most people's mailbox serve as an in and outbox.

Guest pixelives

All I'm saying is that the email alluded to the fact it might be a non physical promo DL. You see these all the time with Fatdrop for instance. Also keeps costs down.

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but in the context of the watermark discussion a digital promo actually makes more sense than a CD promo. At least, I imagine that a watermark could easily be added to the files-header without compromising the music. It's only an idea though, because a transcode of the digital files would mean the watermark is gone. But that is at the expense of a loss of sound quality. And I imagine, the AE-boys could give a rats ass about the sound quality. If it leaked, it sucks no matter the quality.

Ehm, long story short: never mind the chatter